+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

M

magpie

I think that the conditional residence is a perfect idea and would help to take the stress off the workers weeding throught the fraud marraige or marraige of convenience. It would also speed up the process for the legitimate ones. Finally Ottawa is having some good ideas.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
magpie said:
I think that the conditional residence is a perfect idea and would help to take the stress off the workers weeding throught the fraud marraige or marraige of convenience. It would also speed up the process for the legitimate ones. Finally Ottawa is having some good ideas.
It is not likely to speed up the process, that is not the purpose.

xxpazaway

Aug 15, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 5, 2011
AOR Received.
October 11, 2011
Med's Request
February 26, 2014
Med's Done....
September 29, 2011
LANDED..........
20-06-2014
good day to all, i have a problem, i met my employer last february 2009 he started the application for my work permit as a live in caregiver for his children and the cic granted it on december 2009. during that time me and my employer started living together as a common law partner. from the date that cic gave me a work permit till now i was employed as his caregiver but then now he wanted to sponsor me as a common law partner due to some immigration problem. am i eligible to pass the application for family class sponsorship? I need help please

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xxpazaway said:
good day to all, i have a problem, i met my employer last february 2009 he started the application for my work permit as a live in caregiver for his children and the cic granted it on december 2009. during that time me and my employer started living together as a common law partner. from the date that cic gave me a work permit till now i was employed as his caregiver but then now he wanted to sponsor me as a common law partner due to some immigration problem. am i eligible to pass the application for family class sponsorship? I need help please
Yes, I think you are eligible but don't say that you were boyfriend and girlfriend at the time he applied for your work permit because if you were, you should have disclosed that and then maybe you would not have gotten your work permit. You have to write in your application how your relationship developed after you started working for him to the point that you became a couple. If you have lived together as a couple for more than a year, he can sponsor you as his common law but like everybody else, you have to include proof of the relationship.

xxpazaway

Aug 15, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 5, 2011
AOR Received.
October 11, 2011
Med's Request
February 26, 2014
Med's Done....
September 29, 2011
LANDED..........
20-06-2014
we had cohabitation agreement signed on february 26 2010 and it says there we started living together on december 10 but my work permit effective date is december 2, its really complicated. i dont know how to start this application now.

sanika

Oct 14, 2010
Hello to everyone. Ihave a question: my husband just sent off our application but I wonder if they process the application in one visa office where I live,can I ask them to process it to another visa office in my home country? Because iwill be moving out to my homecountry. My medical examination will be sent to my home country.but what if they process it to that visa office where I live and I want it back to my home country???thanks for your help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
agape said:
Hi Leon, I am a newbie here and would like to get your advice in my case:

I am currently working in Edmonton under Skilled job category B ( Food Services Supervisor ) since April 2011. Have taken the self assessment scoring system and achieved above 67 score, I am going to submit my PR application for Federal Skilled Worker next month once I get all my documents ready. The thing is I am going back to Manila next year ( June 2012 ) to marry my boyfriend and come back to Edmonton after a month of vacation. How can I sponsor him to come to Canada by that time? Can I update my information from SINGLE to MARRIED status - and wait for the decision, that means if I got approved, that makes him a PR as well, right?

As far as I know, if i work as a Skilled Worker under category O, A , B, i can apply for a spousal visa and his open work permit. Can I do that while I am waiting for the approval of my PR application? By the way, we were never under common law set up and he will be coming from Saudi Arabia as he is working there.
Once you are married, you and your husband can go to the embassy and apply for his open work permit based on your work permit. It is however not guaranteed that he will be approved. He will still have to prove to the embassy that he will not overstay. Your husband must also fill out all the immigration forms to add to your PR application and you must also re-do those of your forms that have changed. You would have to mail in the forms and the fees for your husband and a cover letter stating that you have gotten married and want to add him. Your file will then be at the visa office and you will have a file number so you would send them directly there.

agape

Aug 10, 2011
Thanks. :)

Leon said:
Once you are married, you and your husband can go to the embassy and apply for his open work permit based on your work permit. It is however not guaranteed that he will be approved. He will still have to prove to the embassy that he will not overstay. Your husband must also fill out all the immigration forms to add to your PR application and you must also re-do those of your forms that have changed. You would have to mail in the forms and the fees for your husband and a cover letter stating that you have gotten married and want to add him. Your file will then be at the visa office and you will have a file number so you would send them directly there.

truedeath1

Aug 18, 2011
My wife is Canadian PR. We got married outside Canada and she gave birth of our child outside Canada.
Can she apply for me and my son from outside Canada? also is there any time limit within which she needs to apply for the new born?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
truedeath1 said:
My wife is Canadian PR. We got married outside Canada and she gave birth of our child outside Canada.
Can she apply for me and my son from outside Canada? also is there any time limit within which she needs to apply for the new born?
As a PR, she must be in Canada to sponsor you. There is no time limit she needs to apply for the new born except she must make sure she still meets the residency requirements to keep her own PR and for that, she can not be outside Canada for more than 1095 days in any 5 year period.

truedeath1

Aug 18, 2011
is there any expiry for PR??? like she landed there on 7th January 2008 stayed there for 1.5 months and return to Bangladesh. SO ppls are telling me that she needs to enter in Canada before 7th January 2011, else her PR will expire. Is it true?? Thanks...

gatogato

Aug 18, 2011
..so does this mean that if i (canadian) marry my mexican partner in mexico and fly home to canada that we could be refused entry ? or that we would then apply for his status in canada for work, medical and becomming permenant?
what process would that entail.. time and money for applications before he could work?
thanks.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
truedeath1 said:
is there any expiry for PR??? like she landed there on 7th January 2008 stayed there for 1.5 months and return to Bangladesh. SO ppls are telling me that she needs to enter in Canada before 7th January 2011, else her PR will expire. Is it true?? Thanks...
A Permanent Resident is expected to meet a Residency Requirement of 730 days in every rolling 5 year period. It does not expire, per se, but it can be lost if the residency conditions are not adhered to.

If your wife landed 7th January 2008, stayed 45 days and has been living in Bangladesh since, that means the 5 year period in question is up to January 6th, 2013. Between now and that date, she needs to acquire 685 more days of residence in Canada in order to keep her PR. All of 2012 gives her 365 days, and there are 135 days left in 2011. That's a total of 500 days out of the 685, so yes, your wife is in danger of not fulfilling the residency requirement and therefore losing her PR.