+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Latvian said:
Hi everyone who's waiting or happily landed!

What's the deal with not travelling while your PR application is in process? Are there any official restrictions? I have a valid work permit, which technically would allow me to come back to Canada without problems, wouldn't it?

Thanks for your opinions!
You said it "technically would allow me to come back to Canada", the IO can still refuse you. (granted the risk may be small).

If you applied family - inland and cannot get back into Canada your application is toast!

jack1

Mar 18, 2011
Hi Folks, started my wife and son's sposorship Dec 2009 inland, AIP Oct 2010, Request for information completed Feb 25th. Decision made Feb 25th,landing appointment March 29th. Nearly completed. Good luck! :)

unimolecular

Mar 18, 2011
I obtained my PhD and got married in Quebec in 1997. So my wife is Canadian (I am not) and we have two Canadian Children. We have resided in Lebanon for 12 years. We both work. My questions are:

1) Can my wife sponsor me if she is not living in Canada?
2) Can we present a joint bank account as proof of support?
3) Do I have to get a CAQ from Quebec before my wife applies for sponsorship?
4) Can I still apply for a visitor's visa after applying for the sponsorship?

Many thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
unimolecular said:
1) Can my wife sponsor me if she is not living in Canada?
2) Can we present a joint bank account as proof of support?
3) Do I have to get a CAQ from Quebec before my wife applies for sponsorship?
4) Can I still apply for a visitor's visa after applying for the sponsorship?
1) Yes but she needs to show plans of moving to Canada when you get your PR, something like plans where to work and live although job offer and having arranged housing would be better.
2) You don't need proof of income for spousal but since they ask for it, you should include your last years tax records.
3) If the sponsor is living in Quebec, you still apply normally but immigration will get the Quebec approval for you. Since you are not living in Canada, I do not know if they would unless you state that you are definitely planning to settle in Quebec when you move.
4) Yes, you can apply for a visit visa any time but that still doesn't mean that you will get it.

nekustetnaz

Mar 19, 2011
Ahoy, I need some advice/suggestions... I just don't even know where to start. I met a girl on an online game in 2005 and we've been talking since then as friends, and we recently decided we love each other and want to be together. I live in Canada and she lives in the US. We plan to at least meet up sometime this year, and we're willing to marry since we're serious about each other, though we aren't quite prepared to be together yet. We want to be together as soon as possible, so I'm trying to find more information to avoid a situation where we'd have to wait longer to be together due to poor planning...

She dropped out of high school and she hasn't had a job at all (she's over 18, don't worry 'bout that). I applied at a trade school and will be doing a course later on this year and into next year, and then I'll have to continue on as an apprentice for years, which is one reason I don't want to move to the US... I want to stay here and go through with it so I can afford to support her. Our plan is for her to move to Canada and live with me with me sponsoring her or whatever. I read about that common law thing where being together for a year would make our relationship count, but visits could only be 6 months at a time and there'd be no guarantees about extensions or whatever, so we're willing to get married if that would make the process easier or whatever... but I also read about the processing times and it seemed rather lengthy. So like... according to cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp, it'd just take over a month for them to confirm me or whatever if she lives in the States, but then the next step would take around a year? Would she be able to live with me during that time, or would she have to wait in the States? Would she be able to stay with me forever or just with that 6 month limit? If it was only 6 months at a time, would she be able to stay for another 6 months pretty much immediately afterwards, or is there some waiting period inbetween? Would she be able to live in Canada with me even if she wasn't a permanent resident yet if we went for that longer processing time? It'd be okay if she couldn't work or whatever, we just want to be together...

Can we get some recommendations on how to live together sooner, or is the only way to start handling all the paperwork so we can get that wait time rolling along sooner? Sorry for all the questions and general cluelessness. Any help would be appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your gf could come visit you but the more she visits, the more likely it is that the immigration officers will at some point ask her what her plans are and if she doesn't have a job in the US to go back to, they might just believe she is a risk to overstay and refuse to let her in. Apart from that, she could visit for up to 6 months and if she gets her passport stamped, she could ask to extend her visitor status after 6 months or she could leave and come back.

There are no official income requirements for spousal support but I do hope you have at least some income because you can still be denied if they think you will not be able to support yourselves based on you being low income and your gf never having worked at all. Therefore would be better if she gets a job now.

nekustetnaz

Mar 19, 2011
Leon said:
Your gf could come visit you but the more she visits, the more likely it is that the immigration officers will at some point ask her what her plans are and if she doesn't have a job in the US to go back to, they might just believe she is a risk to overstay and refuse to let her in. Apart from that, she could visit for up to 6 months and if she gets her passport stamped, she could ask to extend her visitor status after 6 months or she could leave and come back.

There are no official income requirements for spousal support but I do hope you have at least some income because you can still be denied if they think you will not be able to support yourselves based on you being low income and your gf never having worked at all. Therefore would be better if she gets a job now.
I've got savings from my past few years of work, so I feel fairly confident I'd be able to keep us afloat... So, she'd still only be able to visit 6 months at a time even if we were married? Would she be able to just go to the border and come back in the same day or would we have to wait at all between those visits if she couldn't get an extension?

If we get married and go for that "spouse lives outside of Canada" process, is she allowed to visit during that time?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She can only visit for up to 6 months unless she applies to extend. If you do an outside Canada application, she is allowed to be in Canada as a visitor during that time or come and go although entering Canada is always at the discretion of the IO.

You could have her visit, apply for sponsorship and not leave, just apply to extend her visitor status. If you have a sponsorship application in process, it is very unlikely that she would be denied an extension. Going to the border and coming back is always a little risky.

nekustetnaz

Mar 19, 2011
If she visited, we got married, started the sponsorship application, and tried to extend her visitor status long enough for the application to go through, would it count as "Person to be sponsored lives outside of Canada" or "Person to be sponsored lives in Canada" (in regards to this page: cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp)? I'm a little confused on the idea of sponsoring someone who lives here unless it's just for situations like this. That'd be wonderful if expressing our intent to live together forever would make extensions easier to get, though it still worries me a bit if we'd have to wait around 2 years instead of 1 if we had to go with the "Person to be sponsored lives in Canada" wait time (and need to get multiple extensions). If they denied an extension for whatever reason and she had to go live in the US again, what would happen to the application if it was processed as if she was living here? Or would that really be an unlikely scenario?

Thanks for the help, by the way.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since she is from the US, you would be advised not to apply as if she is living in Canada (inland) because it takes longer. It is always your right to apply outland even if the person is in Canada.

If you apply inland and she goes to the US at some point and is denied entry back, you lose your application.

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
nekustetnaz said:
If she visited, we got married, started the sponsorship application, and tried to extend her visitor status long enough for the application to go through, would it count as "Person to be sponsored lives outside of Canada" or "Person to be sponsored lives in Canada" (in regards to this page: cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp)?
Keep in mind that if she is in Canada on a visitor status - no matter how long it is extended for - she is not legally living here, only visiting. Her home address would still be in the U.S. and thus you would be able to apply outland ("person to be sponsored lives outside of Canada") regardless of where she was physically staying at the time.

If you applied inland, a) it would take significantly longer: b) you'd have no right to appeal if you're rejected; and c) if for whatever reason she went back to the States and then wasn't admitted back into Canada, your application goes down the drain without any refunds, since she needs to be in Canada to personally get her residency papers.

Long story short, apply outland and have her stay with you as a visitor for the duration of the process.

tinsky0915

Mar 21, 2011
Hi, Can I submit my application to CPC-Mississauga our Sponsorship Form.
In Philippines Canadain Embassy requirements is very specific they need copy of Marriage Certificate issued by NSO.
Which I have problem with our Marriage Certificate NSO Copy right now clerical error.
The error was my husband second name omitted in that NSO copy.
It is now in processing for correcting the error but it will takes us another 2-4 months for releasing.
However, I have other supporting documents like our Marriage Certificate issued by LCR in Philippines and Secpa Copy. And I can attach Affidavit Letter explanation on the discrepancies in our Marriage Certificate.
Please advise if I can submit my application even our NSO copy Marriage Certificate still in process for correction.
It’s frustrating we gave them all correct documents and still have typo error on their part.

Please advise if I can submit it.

Thank you in advance.

Venemex

Oct 21, 2010
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Veigreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 27th, 2010
Doc's Request.
October 26th, 2010 (Quebec)
AOR Received.
December 2nd, 2010
Med's Done....
January 27th, 2010
Interview........
waiting for date
Hi,

I have been called for interview with my husband?
Somebody can give any input about it?
Thanks,

Pak-UK

Mar 21, 2011
UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife got bankrupt and moreover she is jobless. she can sponsor me??? or what will happen if i continue my application with out sponsorship approval in first step.. please help.