+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

suppy

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
CHRISTINECHRISTINE said:
Hi Leon

I have read some in the forum that OWP is issued on the first stage approval, but it didn't say on the CIC website. I would like to know what if we didn't apply for the OWP when we submit the Sponsorship, can my husband still be given an OWP? or do we really need to apply for it? The application was on 9 months already, should we wait for 11 months or apply for OWP? Thank you.
hi
i have applied 4 spouse visa n its been 22 months now!!!! i have a feeling that my process is about to complete one of my friend told me i might get call from embassy as she has been through d same process, is that possible or if i get a call can any one tell me what thy ask.... any one hear who had been through this ur help will b highly appreciated !!!
Thanks

Woffles

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Hey

Shall I put that I am going to be applying for PR as one of the reasons I am extending my stay as visitor (my IEC work visa expires in June)? Is it best to be up front about it or will it hinder my chances at getting the extension? I have had one extension in the past with no issues. Also, when the extension is close to expiring, will I need to reapply for a further extension if I am still waiting for my PR application decision (as I am sure I will be looking at current processing times)?

Many thanks.

chelseaviel

Dec 15, 2010
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 04, 2012
Doc's Request.
addt'l docs sent on Jan. 11 and recv'd by CEM on Jan. 14 2nd addt'l docs reqt'd on Feb 26,2013 sent on March 21 recv'd on March 22,2013
AOR Received.
July 31,2012
File Transfer...
Aug.13, 2012...in-process June 7, 2013...DM July 11, 2013
Med's Request
May 09, 2013 (remed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 31, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan. 03, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July 19, 2013
LANDED..........
August 09, 2013
Thanks a lot guys! :) (Leon, Gogogo, Tink23) for answering my queries:)

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Woffles said:
Hey

Shall I put that I am going to be applying for PR as one of the reasons I am extending my stay as visitor (my IEC work visa expires in June)? Is it best to be up front about it or will it hinder my chances at getting the extension? I have had one extension in the past with no issues. Also, when the extension is close to expiring, will I need to reapply for a further extension if I am still waiting for my PR application decision (as I am sure I will be looking at current processing times)?

Many thanks.
Yes, you should, that actually might increase your chances of having the extension approved. Be sure to add proof you are actually going through the PR process, such as the receipt for the PR fees or the sponsor approval letter (if you have that already). You are responsible for keeping your current status legal, so you should apply for any extensions needed.

Woffles

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
CharlieD10 said:
Yes, you should, that actually might increase your chances of having the extension approved. Be sure to add proof you are actually going through the PR process, such as the receipt for the PR fees or the sponsor approval letter (if you have that already). You are responsible for keeping your current status legal, so you should apply for any extensions needed.
Awesome, thank you very much. I haven't started the process yet as my Canadian partner and I (from the UK) won't become common law til July earliest (we only subletted in a shared house though) but definitely September as that's when we moved into our own place.

Thanks again for your help, I was just worried they might be funny about it. I do have other reasons for staying as well (I want to do another ski season, we have a signed lease on this place so don't want to break that, plus we don't want to lose it either so will be signing another lease, we have pets so I don't want to leave them, and obviously I don't want to leave my partner). I have a fair amount of money saved to cover my rent etc for when I am unable to work and my partner will be working full time to help support me. I also want to start volunteering for the Whistler Community Services Society, I'm assuming this is acceptable to do on a visitor visa (please advise if not) as there is no monetary or material gain for myself, and I figured it would be a good thing to have on my application and also will help fill my time with something productive and positive when I am not working (sorry, off on a slight tangent).

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Woffles said:
Awesome, thank you very much. I haven't started the process yet as my Canadian partner and I (from the UK) won't become common law til July earliest (we only subletted in a shared house though) but definitely September as that's when we moved into our own place.

Thanks again for your help, I was just worried they might be funny about it. I do have other reasons for staying as well (I want to do another ski season, we have a signed lease on this place so don't want to break that, plus we don't want to lose it either so will be signing another lease, we have pets so I don't want to leave them, and obviously I don't want to leave my partner). I have a fair amount of money saved to cover my rent etc for when I am unable to work and my partner will be working full time to help support me. I also want to start volunteering for the Whistler Community Services Society, I'm assuming this is acceptable to do on a visitor visa (please advise if not) as there is no monetary or material gain for myself, and I figured it would be a good thing to have on my application and also will help fill my time with something productive and positive when I am not working (sorry, off on a slight tangent).
Ensure you include proof of your savings and your partner's salary info. Volunteer service is acceptable, as long as it's not in any position that would ordinarily attract salary or wages.

Woffles

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
CharlieD10 said:
Ensure you include proof of your savings and your partner's salary info. Volunteer service is acceptable, as long as it's not in any position that would ordinarily attract salary or wages.
Nope, it's stuff like helping with the food bank and that kind of thing. Thanks again :)

leo77

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
Woffles said:
Hey

Many thanks.

i know someone has replied already but, i extended my visitor visa stateing that i was currently going threw spousal pr application (inland) and they gave me a visitor visa until sept 2013, meaning i didnt have to update it every 6 months, saved us alot of money.

suppy

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
leo77 said:
i know someone has replied already but, i extended my visitor visa stateing that i was currently going threw spousal pr application (inland) and they gave me a visitor visa until sept 2013, meaning i didnt have to update it every 6 months, saved us alot of money.
hello leon
i did ask earlier but haven't got any respond i shall b greatful to u if u guide me here
i want to ask that i hav applied 4 spouse visa n its been 22 monmths m in a impression that my process is about to complete n it seems that thy gonna call me v soon so can u guide me what thy ask whn thy called or any one hear through this expirence tc thnaks

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
July 31, 2012 (approved) went "in process" same day
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Visa stamped on August 3, 2012 and passport received back on August 13, 2012
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
chelseaviel said:
Hello everyone!

Just want to ask if my husband could come to visit me for 3 weeks while our sponsorship is under process? He's in canada right now and he's planning to visit me this May or June 2012. He just submitted my spousal application this April 14 and by May or June he's planning to visit me. I hope it's possible:(

Thanks!
Your husband cannot visit you at this point if he is only a permanent resident in Canada. If he is now a Canadian citizen, he can stay outside of Canada as long as he wishes but must prove that he will return to Canada and state when he will return in the application for your PR. As stated on Canadian government site, if you are a permanent resident, you MUST stay in Canada during the entire sponsorship process. If you leave Canada during processing, it is very likely (except in emergency maybe) that your application will not be processed or will be rejected.
good luck :)

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
July 31, 2012 (approved) went "in process" same day
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Visa stamped on August 3, 2012 and passport received back on August 13, 2012
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
gagan88 said:
spouse visa refused for canada because sponsor did not stay in canada till the decision was made.letter sent for appeal.do anyone know how long it will take ????
is your husband a permanent resident? if that is the case, PR must stay in Canada throughout the entire processing of application.

Christine08

Apr 13, 2012
Cebu, City Philippines 6000
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-December-2011
Doc's Request.
19-March-2012
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
19-February-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
19-February-2011
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
02-October-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
letter date: 19-March-2012 received April 11,2012 in regular mail.
VISA ISSUED...
08-May-2012
LANDED..........
soon on September 26, 2012 YAAYY!!!!!
ashunandal said:
Your husband cannot visit you at this point if he is only a permanent resident in Canada. If he is now a Canadian citizen, he can stay outside of Canada as long as he wishes but must prove that he will return to Canada and state when he will return in the application for your PR. As stated on Canadian government site, if you are a permanent resident, you MUST stay in Canada during the entire sponsorship process. If you leave Canada during processing, it is very likely (except in emergency maybe) that your application will not be processed or will be rejected.
good luck :)
Thanks for this information. Even though this is not my case I think it is helpful information. :)

cranberries

Apr 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18/01/2013
AOR Received.
21/01/2013 AIP Received 14/02/2013
Med's Done....
26/11/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2013
VISA ISSUED...
10/29/2013
LANDED..........
12/08/2013
hi everyone!
me and my canadian boyfriend are planning to get married on his first visit next month and apply for spouse visa right after our wedding. we haven't been together physically for a year, will it be a problem?I'm just worried :(

JEFFandJANET

Star Member
Mar 12, 2012
Calgary Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-12-2011
Doc's Request.
24-02-2012
File Transfer...
21-02-2012
Med's Done....
28-11-2011
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
24-02-2012 Passport Sent.: 16-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
21-04-2012 DM on ECAS...: 19-04-2012
LANDED..........
13-06-2012
cranberries said:
hi everyone!
me and my canadian boyfriend are planning to get married on his first visit next month and apply for spouse visa right after our wedding. we haven't been together physically for a year, will it be a problem?I'm just worried :(
I wouldn't say its a problem. But you may have to work a little harder to prove your relationship is genuine. You need to show pictures of the 2 of you together. Ideally at different events at different times in your relationship history. Copies of emails showing you are in constant contact. Photos and any documentation with your engagement and marriage. Any travel documents you shared together. Document your honeymoon and take pictures. Remember photos of both of you together. Phone records showing you talk on the phone frequently. Any other communications together that you can document. Be thorough. Letters confirming your relationship from family may help. Try to involve both families in the engagement or wedding etc. Family communication and involvement makes a different. Plan everything accordingly keeping in mind the usefulness of proof and documentation.

good luck and congrats on your engagement.

cranberries

Apr 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18/01/2013
AOR Received.
21/01/2013 AIP Received 14/02/2013
Med's Done....
26/11/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2013
VISA ISSUED...
10/29/2013
LANDED..........
12/08/2013
thanks Jeff and Janet :).it was a relief knowing that. I will keep it in mind. One more thing, do we need to hire a consultant to make sure we the right thing?or is it enough that we just ask for advice in here and on the internet in general?