+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Orpheus1975 said:
Do you foresee any issue with the working holiday visa if my wife has also taken my last name? She just got a new passport with her new married name. When she applys for the WHV it will be with the new name.
Just trying to think ahead when we enter Canada With the WHV would that seem strange to them? Would we then tell them at the border that we have applied Outland?
I do not know if your WHV excludes spouses of Canadians. You would have to ask them. If not, then there is no problem. The border will probably see in their system that you have applied outland. Even if not, there is no reason to keep it a secret.

JAV10

Mar 24, 2012
Hi Leon seems you're the guy in this forum i'll ask for advise and repost this .. Hi all,

I need help, I was previously married in Philippines and got divorced here in Canada. Although legally divorced here my ex husband wldnt cooperate n having our marriage annulled in Philippines. I am now legally married since January and wants to sponsor my husband will Canadian Immigration consider the fact that my previous marriage is not nulled yet? although by Canadian law i am divorced and now legally married?
Please help thanku

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JAV10 said:
Hi Leon seems you're the guy in this forum i'll ask for advise and repost this .. Hi all,

I need help, I was previously married in Philippines and got divorced here in Canada. Although legally divorced here my ex husband wldnt cooperate n having our marriage annulled in Philippines. I am now legally married since January and wants to sponsor my husband will Canadian Immigration consider the fact that my previous marriage is not nulled yet? although by Canadian law i am divorced and now legally married?
Please help thanku
As long as you are legally divorced by Canadian law, I don't think there will be a problem.

JAV10

Mar 24, 2012
Thanks Leon, if the application will go ti Philippines will they honor the previous marriage there or go by Canadian Law?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JAV10 said:
Thanks Leon, if the application will go ti Philippines will they honor the previous marriage there or go by Canadian Law?
I think they will honour Canadian law because it is the Canadian embassy but if you want to be sure, you should contact the embassy and ask.

Deficient

Feb 22, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
11/07/2012 [CSQ]
File Transfer...
08/06/2012
Med's Request
Signature has med furtherance details
Med's Done....
10/02/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01/11/2012
Frida said:
I admit I am a little bit paranoid, I don't want to say the wrong thing and get in any kind of trouble on the border, even though I'm not doing anything wrong... I worry because I will get married there and what if later during the process they say I lied at the border, the purpose of my visit was not visiting friends, but getting married...
I bought a return ticket and I definatelly don't plan overstaying in any case.
I did this same thing, entering as visa-exempt visitor and marrying in Quebec, although I was visiting for only a month rather than six.

The officer asked where I was staying, I told her at my fiance's house which didn't seem to concern her at all. She looked at my return ticket but wasn't bothered about any other proofs of my ties to home. She seemed more concerned about whether I was bringing in gifts. Even after I got married and I went to visit, they never seemed to care much about my intent and always seemed to be more interested in what I was bringing with me.

As long as you don't overstay, you haven't done anything wrong so not disclosing the wedding can't really bite you in the backside later. Besides, in theory it would be possible to go to Quebec and get engaged and arrange a wedding in a six month timeframe so it hardly matters whether you tell the officer. And given that the wedding is only one day out of the 180-something you'll be there for, I think "visiting my boyfriend" is a fairly accurate summary of your intent.

Frida

Oct 12, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Deficient - thank you so much. After reading Leon's post and now yours I'm more calm. I always "panic" about even the smallest things with this immigraton business ;D

Deficient

Feb 22, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
11/07/2012 [CSQ]
File Transfer...
08/06/2012
Med's Request
Signature has med furtherance details
Med's Done....
10/02/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01/11/2012
Happy to help - I had exactly the same concerns when I was going to get married!

evanhindra

Star Member
Apr 7, 2011
somewhere in the universe
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey all,

After the long wait, we're finally at the end stage of the waiting game! Singapore VO has requested my wife's passport!

As happy as I can get; I'm a tad bit concern since a friend of ours raised a good point.
I wouldn't be able to accompany my wife for her First Landing; due to work scheduling (still under probation, I can't exactly take two weeks off to go to Singapore, yada yada yada). Will it be an issue if I (the sponsor) am unable to accompany my wife (the sole applicant) at the Port of Entry when my wife lands and do her First Landing process? My hunch says it shouldn't be a problem; I mean it's a bit "out of the way" to enforce a procedure that requires both sponsor and the applicant to be present at the time of First Landing. Correct me if I am wrong, though.

My wife is able to communicate in English fluently, and we've prepared all the necessary documents before hand (such as those B4 and B4A docs, PR Card Forms and all the fees associated with it). Also, thanks to the information people shared on this forum; we've got a good idea what the typical First Landing process is going to be like, unfortunately there's no mention whether the sponsor has to accompany the applicant at all.

Any insights would be appreciated!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
evanhindra said:
Hey all,

After the long wait, we're finally at the end stage of the waiting game! Singapore VO has requested my wife's passport!

As happy as I can get; I'm a tad bit concern since a friend of ours raised a good point.
I wouldn't be able to accompany my wife for her First Landing; due to work scheduling (still under probation, I can't exactly take two weeks off to go to Singapore, yada yada yada). Will it be an issue if I (the sponsor) am unable to accompany my wife (the sole applicant) at the Port of Entry when my wife lands and do her First Landing process? My hunch says it shouldn't be a problem; I mean it's a bit "out of the way" to enforce a procedure that requires both sponsor and the applicant to be present at the time of First Landing. Correct me if I am wrong, though.

My wife is able to communicate in English fluently, and we've prepared all the necessary documents before hand (such as those B4 and B4A docs, PR Card Forms and all the fees associated with it). Also, thanks to the information people shared on this forum; we've got a good idea what the typical First Landing process is going to be like, unfortunately there's no mention whether the sponsor has to accompany the applicant at all.

Any insights would be appreciated!
No, you don't need to be there. Be available by phone if you can, though, they MIGHT want to contact you.

R

richa25

Hey guys..
I need your help.. I am a canadian citizen and i have applied for spousal visa.. for my husband (residing in India)
i have cleared all my sponsor's requirements and got letter from embassy too.
My file was sent to New delhii immigration office.. on 29th Dec,2012.. and my husband was being asked to sent passport on Feb 21st, 2012 and he sent his passport on 23rd feb, 2012..

So its almost been a month! Do you guys have any idea approx how many days/months they usually take to issue the visa?

I will really appreciate your help/answers!

Thanks,
Richa

xprecious32

Mar 27, 2012
Hi There, I have a few questions in regards to sponsoring my spouse to come here to Canada. We are not married yet, we are getting married in the US on may 19th. He will be staying there in the US and I will be returning home. We have been visiting each other atleast once a month for the last 3 years. I have the forms so I can start filling them out now. What I want to know is if we need a lawyer to do this and if he can come and visit me while the paperwork is going through and will I still be able to go and visit him. He also has 3 children that his ex has full custody of and they will not be coming with him, how does this affect me sponsoring him, or does it affect things at all. Any help and advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.

cgagnon

Nov 10, 2011
Montreal,QC
Category........
Visa Office......
LA(Buffalo)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
13-12-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10/10/2012
xprecious32 said:
Hi There, I have a few questions in regards to sponsoring my spouse to come here to Canada. We are not married yet, we are getting married in the US on may 19th. He will be staying there in the US and I will be returning home. We have been visiting each other atleast once a month for the last 3 years. I have the forms so I can start filling them out now. What I want to know is if we need a lawyer to do this and if he can come and visit me while the paperwork is going through and will I still be able to go and visit him. He also has 3 children that his ex has full custody of and they will not be coming with him, how does this affect me sponsoring him, or does it affect things at all. Any help and advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.
I'm in a pretty similar situation...I got married in December and if I would have known all the stuff i know now I would have gotten married in court and then done the religious wedding to go ahead right away with the process (i waited 4 months). I would do an outland immigration as if you do an inland he will not be able to see his kids unless they come and visit as he would risk his application being refused if he leaves canada.You do not need a lawyer is what the canadian government says and a lot of people have gone without using one. I used a lawyer and I am so glad I did...so many things to do remember... signatures...if he's in canada then he is physically here even if its an outland and his address is in the states etc. That way I had a complete application filed and paid all the fees upfront, as soon as they request something it can extend the process. Hope this helps a bit..this is from what I just went through.

calissons

Star Member
Feb 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->SEA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Interview........
Waived
xprecious32 said:
He should apply outland because applying inside canada means he has to stay inside Canada and because applications are usually processed faster than for people who apply inland. You should wait until you're married to send the application but you could start to gather the docs now. Just get the police certificates and the medical exam at the end (all police clearance not from the US, then FBI police clearance once you received the others, then medical exam because the medical exams are valid for a year from the date you send them and the FBI clearance takes about 2 months to get so you want to deal with the things that take a while to receive first). Once he applies outland he can come and go as often as he wants if he is visa-exempt (if he's a US citizen for example) or apply for a tourist visa. Nothing wrong about it because it's normal that he wants to see his spouse.

Medical exams will still be required for all of his kids even if they're not coming with him.

Should you use a lawyer? if you're diligent you will save thousands of dollars (at the end, the lawyer cannot gather docs for you so you'll do the job anyway). But if you're very busy and can afford it, nothing wrong with it either.

There's a checklist, make sure you follow it (the process is designed so you don't need a lawyer) and make sure:
- that your police certificates are less than 3 months old by the time you send them --> that's why I recommend them to do them once your other docs are prepared
- that you make the medical exam at the very end otherwise they will have to be redone.