Waived
Passport Req..
08 May 2012
VISA ISSUED...
14 May 2012
LANDED..........
11 November 2012
computergeek said:
Having a former common-law partner is not grounds for refusal. From your brief description, it sounds like you aren't even sure if what you had qualified as a common law relationship ("... we never stayed together or have any serious relationship...") So, even if CIC were to find out about your previous relationship AND decide it was common-law, it wouldn't rise to the level of fraud if you had a reasonable belief it did not qualify as a common law relationship.

If you didn't live together, I don't see how it could have been common-law.
Thank you computergeek for explaining that. We didn't even live together or do anything together at all.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Josephs said:
I used to have someone like a common law partner in the country where I'm living now, but we never stayed together or have any serious relationship. When the form as me if I have ever had a common law partner i write NO. Can this lead to refusal of my visa?
For the purposes of Immigration, a common-law relationship is an exclusive conjugal relationship involving at least one year cohabitation. If the relationship was not serious and you didn't live together, as you say, then no, this person was not your common-law partner as defined by CIC and you did not misrepresent yourself by answering "NO".

micanada

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
nov 21 2011
Doc's Request.
feb 2012
AOR Received.
feb 7 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9 2015
Med's Request
Feb 2015(dependant)
Med's Done....
nov 2011/ march 2014
Interview........
Oct 21 2015
Passport Req..
July 22 2014(dependant)
VISA ISSUED...
Dependant??
LANDED..........
oct 21 2015
hello ppl! im a new bie in this forum, but was reading this forum since i applied for my pr in canada(inland application) as a spousal/common law sponsorship. i came here in canada on a temoparay work permit under pilot project year 2008, i met my common law 2009 we did applied for my pr Aug 2011 , we hired an immgration consultant knowing that the application will be faster and easier, but once u have a representative, immigration will send letter or email for updates to our immgration consultant, they return our application nov 7 2011 cause some of the documents weren't signed by my consultant, and we are advised to mail and re apply for pr application anytime, so we sent the the complete application Nov 21st 2011, after a week my consultant received a letter from immgration saying, that i have to fil up the history address update and do med exam as well, so we sent the form after i filled it up, then another week my consultant received an email that i have to fill up the family members form , so same thing i fill it up and sent to the immgration, and we also receive a leeter from immigration that they cannot contact my dependant and family members back home, its been almost 4 mos now since we submit the application in vegreville, and just wondering if anyone knows whats going on.. thanks!

Josephs

Star Member
Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20 October 2011
AOR Received.
18 January 2012
File Transfer...
04 January 2012
Med's Done....
27 February 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08 May 2012
VISA ISSUED...
14 May 2012
LANDED..........
11 November 2012
CharlieD10 said:
For the purposes of Immigration, a common-law relationship is an exclusive conjugal relationship involving at least one year cohabitation. If the relationship was not serious and you didn't live together, as you say, then no, this person was not your common-law partner as defined by CIC and you did not misrepresent yourself by answering "NO".
Thank you so much.

IndianOcean

May 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 August 2011
File Transfer...
08 October 2011
Med's Done....
07 August 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17 February 2012
VISA ISSUED...
23 February 2012
LANDED..........
18 March 2012
Hey guys,
I will be landing in Montreal next week, can I provide them with a copy of CSQ instead of the original one? Since the original is with my wife back in Montreal.
Is there any problems with that?

Josephs

Star Member
Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20 October 2011
AOR Received.
18 January 2012
File Transfer...
04 January 2012
Med's Done....
27 February 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08 May 2012
VISA ISSUED...
14 May 2012
LANDED..........
11 November 2012
IndianOcean said:
Hey guys,
I will be landing in Montreal next week, can I provide them with a copy of CSQ instead of the original one? Since the original is with my wife back in Montreal.
Is there any problems with that?
I don't know much but I think you should tell your wife to bring the original copy to the airport to meet you.

POLICAP

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
Hi Every one. Please I need clarifications to this questions.

Under In Canada Spouse application for PR.
Assuming a permanent resident/citizen who lived outside the country for while married and have kids. Now decided to come back to Canada with the wife and the kids under visitor visas.

1.Can he sponsor the wife and the kids under In Canada spouse application for PR?

2. How are they going to process the kids application as a dependants of the spouse ? .

Thanks.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
POLICAP said:
Hi Every one. Please I need clarifications to this questions.

Under In Canada Spouse application for PR.
Assuming a permanent resident/citizen who lived outside the country for while married and have kids. Now decided to come back to Canada with the wife and the kids under visitor visas.

1.Can he sponsor the wife and the kids under In Canada spouse application for PR?

2. How are they going to process the kids application as a dependants of the spouse ? .

Thanks.
A Canadian Citizen does not need to return to Canada to initiate sponsorship (just has to be able to show a qualified plan for doing so.) Similarly, the children of a Citizen are themselves Canadian Citizens, regardless of where they are born, so all THEY need are certificates of citizenship so they can obtain Canadian passports.

A Permanent Resident must be living in Canada to sponsor a spouse and any foreign-born children. One issue that often arises for a PR is whether or not they have satisfied the 2 years in 5 years rule to maintain their permanent residency. If the PR card is still valid, generally a PR can enter but then must remain in Canada long enough to satisfy the 2 year requirement before leaving (for any reason) again.

So, assuming the first case (citizen) the only one sponsored would be the spouse.

Assuming the second case (PR) the spouse and foreign-born children would all be sponsored. If you are able to bring your family into Canada and re-establish yourself, you would then be able to sponsor them in the family class. You will need to decide if you wish to sponsor inland (no right of appeal, cannot leave the country while the application is pending, approximately 18-20 months to complete) or outland (right of IAD appeal, can leave the country during the process, 2 months to approve sponsor + variable time depending upon the embassy/consulate/high commission processing the application) and then fill in the forms and pay the relevant fees.

sunshine83

Jan 25, 2012
Spousal sponsorship

hi
how r u guys i decided to visit my spouse on July for a three weeks but i still waiting my approval i hope i have receive this month. i decided to visit him ..........................................................

TylerDW

Mar 10, 2012
I am sponsoring my wife overseas and will go stay with her and work for about 6 months. To do that, I will quit my job here.

On the application form, should I state I am currently unemployed and will get a temporary job overseas in my wife's country, or should I apply before I quit my job here and go overseas (which will be in about a month, but I see that sponsor evaluation takes 55 days).

I don't want to lie obviously, but the question on the form is white and black, and for me it kind of depends on whether I answer the question as of my situation "today" or as it will be in a month or two.

Any suggestions or someone with experience?

Thanks!!

macbook

Mar 11, 2012
Hi guys,

we have a very straight forward common law applicaticon, done overseas in europe. we filled it last october but with no medical as per VO request, now 2 weeks ago they sent us an email asking for the medical, which has been already done. the average processing time for this VO is 8 months.

1.would any of you say that the visa is very close to being issued as they have asked for the medical?

2.would they have asked for an interview first if they had any doubts about our relationship?

3. we already bought the plane tickets for april, in case the visa is not issued until then, can i just say at the border that i intend to wait out the visa in the country as i do not have a return ticket? would that be ok? i come from a visa exempt country and have entried canada before

4.the COPR is sent to the mailing address? or is everything processed by email as it has been so far?

thanks for reading and taking the time to reply

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
macbook said:
Hi guys,

we have a very straight forward common law applicaticon, done overseas in europe. we filled it last october but with no medical as per VO request, now 2 weeks ago they sent us an email asking for the medical, which has been already done. the average processing time for this VO is 8 months.

1.would any of you say that the visa is very close to being issued as they have asked for the medical?
If they are just waiting on medicals, then you are near the end of the journey (although there is NO guarantee that something else won't go wrong!) Did you reply to that e-mail? Did you send the original copy of your IMM 1017 EFC form (from the DMP, with your picture and the DMP's seal all over it.)

macbook said:
2.would they have asked for an interview first if they had any doubts about our relationship?
Yes, they would. And they reserve the right to do so right up to the bitter end. Did you order a copy of your CAIPS/GCMS notes? They would tell you where the visa office is with respect to this whole process. They PROBABLY would have asked BEFORE asking for medicals. But again, there's no guarantee.

macbook said:
3. we already bought the plane tickets for april, in case the visa is not issued until then, can i just say at the border that i intend to wait out the visa in the country as i do not have a return ticket? would that be ok? i come from a visa exempt country and have entried canada before
Um, no. That would mean you don't intend on leaving. You should have a return ticket. If you think it quite likely you won't use it, get a REFUNDABLE return ticket, say 4-5 months after your arrival date. Even if your PR hasn't arrived, you can always cancel your return ticket and apply for an extension of your VR - after all, plans DO change.

But saying you intend on waiting it out will be a red flag type answer - not the answer of a "visitor" but the answer of a someone who intends on "residing indefinitely" and that's exactly the class they generally prohibit. Since you've been to Canada before, odds are they won't even ask for that return ticket, but having it, you can say "my intention is to leave in five months." If they ask you about your immigration status, you can say "well, it's pretty close to being done, but I don't know how much longer it will take and thus I am prepared to head back home until it is finished after my visit."

macbook said:
4.the COPR is sent to the mailing address? or is everything processed by email as it has been so far?
I've never seen a COPR (someday, I hope) but I would expect it needs to be an original letter, not a copy, so I would expect them to mail it. Even if they CAN e-mail it, they can also send it via physical mail - so make sure it goes to an address where someone who obtains it can forward it to you. In theory you could update the mailing address once you are in Canada to your Canadian address.

macbook

Mar 11, 2012
Hi computergeek,

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer to my questions.
I am aware that there are no guarantees when it comes to these immigration issues, one can only try and analize them with some common sense, and we were very hopeful when we were asked to do the medicals.
I did the medical and everything was sent to the VO, I already called the doctor's office last week. However we did not ask for the GCMS notes. I will research on how to do that.
About the fact that we already bought the plane tickects, well, I will investigate a bit more on the forum to see what are others people experiences but I would have thought that the immigration officer at the border would see that there is no way I will overstay my visit as I would have no means to explain later why I did it, jeopardizing that way my status forever.
Again, thank you for your time.

loveleen.loveleen

Feb 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2012
File Transfer...
17-05-2012
hi i hv snt d application to sponsor my husband
(india) and in mississauga dey recievd on 22 feb 2012....cn anyone tell me hw mch time does it take for dm to reply ??? thnks