+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can also check if you have any documents, letters, postcards etc. that were sent to the old address or if your relatives might have an old address book or remember it. At the end of the day, if you do not remember the exact address, write a cover letter or a comment for that address stating that you are not 100% sure it is the right number.

cinbadest

Mar 21, 2012
My daughter is on ODSP but was able to sponsor her new husband to Canada. Once here, he left her soon afterward without a backward glance. She was able to find out what city he moved to and once per year sent a letter to the Social Service department of the city, letting them know of her status as his sponsor and giving her name and address, etc, lest he collect welfare. This is the final year of sponsorship and she sent the letter by registered mail this time. Lo and behold she received in return a nasty letter advising that she is in default of her sponsorship and that the city has also sent a report to Revenue Canada about it. It demands that she immediately send a cheq for the default amount, although nowhere in the letter does it state any default amount. Are they expecting a blank cheq :p ? and is she still liable to pay the funds back since she is still on ODSP, although she also has a part-time job?
Any helpful info would be appreciated.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
cinbadest said:
My daughter is on ODSP but was able to sponsor her new husband to Canada. Once here, he left her soon afterward without a backward glance. She was able to find out what city he moved to and once per year sent a letter to the Social Service department of the city, letting them know of her status as his sponsor and giving her name and address, etc, lest he collect welfare. This is the final year of sponsorship and she sent the letter by registered mail this time. Lo and behold she received in return a nasty letter advising that she is in default of her sponsorship and that the city has also sent a report to Revenue Canada about it. It demands that she immediately send a cheq for the default amount, although nowhere in the letter does it state any default amount. Are they expecting a blank cheq :p ? and is she still liable to pay the funds back since she is still on ODSP, although she also has a part-time job?
Any helpful info would be appreciated.
This is very sad - and exactly the type of case that has caused CIC to move towards restrictions on spousal sponsorship cases.

Unfortunately, your daughter is legally obligated, although it may be waived under certain circumstances (such as hers might justify - but that is up to her to negotiate with the province.) She should advise them of her circumstances and request that they work out a payment plan of some sort. Even a modest payment ($10 a week) shows she is respecting her obligation and will eventually discharge her legal obligation.

I hope that she has reported this case to CIC. It sounds like there are serious grounds to suspect that she was used - that her husband defrauded her and as part of the application for permanent residency likely lied on his application. She should also review the language of her sponsorship (it may not be the same as the language in the undertaking document now.)

POLICAP

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
Leon said:
Before you were refused because they did not believe it was a real relationship. Now you have brought her to the US to live with you and I suppose you have lived together for some years now so that does not apply. I am sure you will have an easier time proving your case this time.
Hi Loen,

Thanks for your advise. It's over a year now that I have submitted inland PR application. I have not received AIP. I called CIC their song never change it's always "IN PROCESS" . Please what can I do at this stage?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
POLICAP said:
Hi Loen,

Thanks for your advise. It's over a year now that I have submitted inland PR application. I have not received AIP. I called CIC their song never change it's always "IN PROCESS" . Please what can I do at this stage?
A year is actually normal processing time for first stage approval for inland but do talk to your MP.

ChellyBear

Mar 9, 2012
Hello,

I wanted to say thank you to
Mfanous, Jeffandjanet, and of course leon!
I am super thankful for the information and advice,
We will be getting married this April.
If I have more questions, you all will be the first I ask:)
I will keep you all updated on how everything is coming
along and working out.
By the way, my apologies for the belated thank you :(
But again, thank you so much!

Off the river

Mar 22, 2012
Hello folks,

First, I'm sorry if this topic has already been done (I'm sure it has).

I just recently found this site and have spent a couple hourse checking everything out. I see a lot of helpful people on here. I'm kind of having a hard time understanding the whole outland application process. I find the website very confusing and could not find an exact answer in my thread. I hope I can get the same help as so many here have.

First, my situation: I've been living in South Korea for ten years and married for eight. My wife is Korean, we have two children (6 and 3) and have always lived together. We are planning on moving back to New Brunswick next summer (2013).

I've been downloading, and printing documents and have come to the realisation that not all of them are for my situation. I went into the Seoul embassy to ask for help regarding the proper documents and they were no help at all.

finally, I figured I needed to apply using the outbound forms, but many in the Asia region also include Packistan and Sri Lanka. It would be great if I could find a South Korean link, down load and fill out all the forms and mail it in, but everytime I think I'm ging in the right direction, I run into something that makes me ask if I filled out the wrong form or am missing a form.

Can someone please tell me exaclty which forms I need to fill out?

Many, many thanks in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Off the river said:
finally, I figured I needed to apply using the outbound forms, but many in the Asia region also include Packistan and Sri Lanka. It would be great if I could find a South Korean link, down load and fill out all the forms and mail it in, but everytime I think I'm ging in the right direction, I run into something that makes me ask if I filled out the wrong form or am missing a form.

Can someone please tell me exaclty which forms I need to fill out?
If you go to the outland application forms here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp you can find a checklist there to go by and if you scroll down the page, you will find various links for various countries. There is one called General Asia that will include your instructions:

General Asia [IMM 3907] (PDF, 230 KB)

Includes instructions for the following countries:
Bangladesh, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Maldives, Mongolia, Pakistan, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Taiwan
If you click on it, you will find several forms to fill out as well as a new checklist. Only one of the forms is marked Pakistan so don't bother with that as you are not in Pakistan.

I assume you have already taken care of the citizenship of your children?

jimmy_kallarackal

Star Member
Apr 26, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 29 2010
Med's Request
March-16-2011
Med's Done....
April-18-2011
Passport Req..
18-May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-June-2011
LANDED..........
27-Oct-2011
Hi..

Thanks for the reply as you have mentioned in your reply..

1. That i dont need to be in canada to sponsor, is that correct or typing mistake?

2. If i dont need to be in canada then my job is in india at the moment with good salary would that suffice for the visa officer doubts that i would not go for social assistance... IF i show good balance in bank too..?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jimmy_kallarackal said:
Hi..

Thanks for the reply as you have mentioned in your reply..

1. That i dont need to be in canada to sponsor, is that correct or typing mistake?

If you are a citizen, you can sponsor while being outside Canada, must however show plans to move to Canada once the spouse gets PR. If you are a PR, you must be in Canada to sponsor.

2. If i dont need to be in canada then my job is in india at the moment with good salary would that suffice for the visa officer doubts that i would not go for social assistance... IF i show good balance in bank too..?

Yes, should not be a problem.

Mercya

Mar 22, 2012
I have will gonna sponsor me under family class how long does it takes.?but my work permit will expire by september 7th should i go back to work til my sponsorship is done.?and i have a baby will the immigration deport me i dont have legal papers to stay here in canada.?eventhough im on the process of waiting my sponsorship.?any idea what should i do

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mercya said:
I have will gonna sponsor me under family class how long does it takes.?but my work permit will expire by september 7th should i go back to work til my sponsorship is done.?and i have a baby will the immigration deport me i dont have legal papers to stay here in canada.?eventhough im on the process of waiting my sponsorship.?any idea what should i do
If you can not get your work permit extended, you are not allowed to work. If you want to stay in Canada, you would need to apply to change your status to visitor.

cgagnon

Nov 10, 2011
Montreal,QC
Category........
Visa Office......
LA(Buffalo)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
13-12-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10/10/2012
I have a question for you guys. My husband is from the united-states, we got married Dec 31st,2011, he came up to canada on January 9th we got stopped at the border and he was issued a visa with an entry stamp in his passport. We finally got all the paperwork and sent our application out on March 2nd and it was received at CPC-M on March 5th. His Visa expires on July 8th. We want to go and visit his family from the 24th to the 3rd of July. Am I better off to get his visa extended in june or wait until we re-enter canada as technically he does not need a visa. Thank you so much for your help!

calissons

Star Member
Feb 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->SEA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Interview........
Waived
Is he applying inside or outside Canada? If inside go to 1), if outland, to 2)

1) If he is applying from inside Canada it can be a problem because if, for some reason, they refuse to re-admit at the border it when he comes back from the US, his application will be considered withdrawn. You can and should stay in Canada during the whole immigration process and until your admission is either granted or denied when you apply from inside Canada, whether your touristic "visa" is still valid or not by the time they make a decision.

Background: The application used to be possible only from outside Canada. As a lawyer explained it to me, CIC created inland PR spousal applications originally because there would be special circumstances (ex: sick family member who requires some support from the family, or any other special/compassionate needs ) so that the two spouses NEEDED to be in Canada. In the facts, people apply from inside Canada because they wanted to be together, but you still should stay in Canada: By leaving Canada, even for a short time, you demonstrate that you didn't really have the need to be in Canada all the time. So border officers were and still are, to some extent, a little less understanding. =... Which is somewhat normal... :-[

That being said, your husband is from the US so he's from a visa-exempt (for 6 months as you pointed it out) . Coming back from Canada shouldn't be a problem. Basically, in theory it is possible, but I wouldn't advise you two to go anywhere outside Canada until he gets PR if he is applying from inside Canada. And it would sound quite awkward to ask for an extension for a visa given the reasons mentions above.

2) If he's applying from outside Canada (i.e. the US), it is not a pb at all to go to the US and come back. but yes he should get an extension of his visa until you both go back to the US, or you can just cross the border and come back before July, 8 and that would renew his visa (depending how far you are from the border) since he's from a visa-exempt country.

Hope it helps??

Dinto

Star Member
Feb 24, 2012
Hi Leon
What if you are not exactly sure of your status I.e. boyfriend girlfriend.... We have been spending alot of time with each other around 6 months in South Africa... and I want her to come to Canada to visit.... must she declare she has a boyfriend? as won't this make them reluctant to let her into the country?.... Then if we do continue to get along and decide to marry.... What problems could arise from this little oversight?

Thanks