FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
08-08-2017
AOR Received.
22-09-2017
From the CIC website
Can I leave Canada while IRCC processes my application for permanent residence?

Yes. However, if you leave Canada while your application is being processed, you must meet all the admissibility rules before being allowed back into Canada.

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have all the required documents to enter. This can include:

If you are unable to return to Canada, we could determine that you abandoned your application. In that case, we will not process it.

bb4557

Star Member
Apr 3, 2014
Hey guys, trying to understand a bit more the situation if we want to go out of the country.
I am still waiting for my OWP at the moment as my AOR was September 5th and request for SA and Police Checks was October 30th.
In my mind I cannot leave the country till a decision is made regarding my PR. After reading some posts of other people I am now confused.
Can I leave the country at all? If I wait to have my OWP, could I spend a week holiday away with my partner (who is my sponsor) and come back without issues?
What is the deal with us applicants leaving the country during the application process?

Thanks in advance guys and thanks for everyone helping on this feed
I don't know where people get the "do not leave for more than three weeks because some immigration lawyer ("lawyer????") said so"... There is nothing preventing you to leave Canada, you are welcome to leave when you feel like. Now coming back is a different story. If at the port of entry the immigration officer denies you entry then you are screwed. On the other hand, that's less likely to happen if you have a genuine case. Have some documentation with you like the AOR in case the officer asks you for proof that you've applied for spousal sponsorship. Be truthful in every thing, from your application to your trips etc.

Here is my case.

My wife went for a trip back to her home country along with our child, at that time we did not receive any confirmation on her OWP. The OWP was approved/received while she was away. She is from a visa free country. Our plan was that we would travel back to Canada together. She had planned to stay longer (3 months) and I joined her later. At the immigration/border control, we went together and the officer asked us about her PR card, we explained that we are still in the process of her sponsorship application but have received her OWP. The officer asked for the OWP and that was it. Do note that we travelled back together and have a child together who is a Canadian citizen, so this may have avoided further inquiries.

Now if your partner has some issues with immigration, like an order to leave Canada or is not from a Visa free country (or does not have a multiple entry visa) or have overstayed one of the previous trips (you will be on implied status so you won't be considered overstaying this time around), then you better stay in Canada. I don't see why you can't go for a vacation/holiday for a week or two. OWP cannot be used to enter Canada, so OWP has nothing to do with your re-entry to Canada.

Cheers.

Reactions: stke4130

buddied94

Star Member
Sep 10, 2017
Etobicoke
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
17-08-2017
Doc's Request.
03-10-2017
AOR Received.
03-10-2017
Med's Request
20-03-2018
Med's Done....
26-03-2018
Interview........
23-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-07-2018
From the CIC website

Yes. However, if you leave Canada while your application is being processed, you must meet all the admissibility rules before being allowed back into Canada.

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have all the required documents to enter. This can include:

If you are unable to return to Canada, we could determine that you abandoned your application. In that case, we will not process it.
problem with this is its entirely at the discretion of the officer at the border and his interpretation of that statement (aka whether an open work permit as part of a permanent residence application is a valid work permit in the conventional sense)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shannonbella

stke4130

Star Member
Mar 29, 2017
From the CIC website

Interesting. At the bottom of the page is:
Date Modified:
2017-04-18

When we applied in February,we were told and I know we also read that we could not leave as it would cancel my application

Mutato_KT

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
QC
Category........
FAM
Hi, guys,

I have been reading around and saw that some (Outland applicants) asked help from their MPs to expedite their application. So far, it has been successful, it seems. Have you heard if this is feasible for us too?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

jarry

Nov 23, 2014
Hi Guys,

Any news to the July 2017 Applicants? does anyone receive already a medical request? how far your application now..Im still waiting here:(

bb4557

Star Member
Apr 3, 2014
Hi, @jarry,

July applicant here. We are still waiting too..
If you are a July applicant and the maximum time for processing is 12 months. Why do you want to expedite the case through your MP? Keep good terms and try not to go to the MP unless the 12 months have passed, or if you get some bizarre request/response from CIC. If you push now, you'll be heard by your MP but won't do you any good, so keep this option for when things don't move past 12 months.

Star Member
Aug 26, 2017
Hi Guys,

I have to link my PR application . My application was received almost 38 days ago but did not receive AOR yet .When I am trying to search my application before to link I am getting message "no record is found about my application".Has this situation happened anyone when tried to link an application to an online account? Could someone which got same experience could guide me how could I link my application?

Mutato_KT

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
QC
Category........
FAM
If you are a July applicant and the maximum time for processing is 12 months. Why do you want to expedite the case through your MP? Keep good terms and try not to go to the MP unless the 12 months have passed, or if you get some bizarre request/response from CIC. If you push now, you'll be heard by your MP but won't do you any good, so keep this option for when things don't move past 12 months.
Agreed, @bb4557.

iamvenus

Feb 5, 2014
Category........
FAM
Hi Guys,

I have to link my PR application . My application was received almost 38 days ago but did not receive AOR yet .When I am trying to search my application before to link I am getting message "no record is found about my application".Has this situation happened anyone when tried to link an application to an online account? Could someone which got same experience could guide me how could I link my application?
I don't think you'd be able to link your application without an AOR. CIC has received your application but hasn't been opened yet hence, the message. Also according to the posts here, CIC is releasing AOR's for applications received on September 15. So, yours would probably be later.

Trinh

Sep 12, 2017
Hi Guys,

Hi there,

I did link my application to my online account on MyCIC before my husband who is my sponsor received the 1st AOR.

I got lots of troubles to link my account at the start, but then I followed the steps through these threads and it worked, so I hope that it will help you too!

First, you have to make sure that you link your application on a right web site:
- Principle applicant can link her/ his application to their online account on MyCIC:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/account.asp
- Sponsor can link the application on this site (when you receive the 1st AOR):
https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/security.do

For the steps to link Principle applicant application on MyCIC, please follow this topic:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/linking-application-issue.485928/

After you created GCKey account to link Principle applicant application, keep using that account to link Open work permit application on MyCIC (If you also applied it when you applied for PR).

For the steps to link Open work permit application on MyCIC, please follow this step:

krunal2904 said:
I have listed steps to link your SOWP Paper Application to CIC Online

(1) Go to this below listed link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/mycic.asp
(2) Click on continue to Gckey
(3) If You've already account created, login with your Username and Password otherwise Click on Sign up to go on next page and create your username, password and security questions.
(4) After creating my CIC account, click link application to this account.
(5) Then select category as Temporary residence and subcategory as Work Permit and extension.
(6) Then select Family name, given name and date of birth option.
(7) Fill your family name(surname), given name and date of birth as per Passport or Application form.
(8.) Next in applicant personal info panel fill Passport information only and DO NOT FILL CITY AND COUNTRY OF BIRTH.
(9) In Details of intended work in Canada info, Select Open (initial application or extension) for What type of work permit are you applying for?
(10) Select applicant's Current country of residence (For example, if your spouse currently living in India, Please select India)
(11) Select Current marital Status
(12) Next select Spouse or common-low partner of a skilled worker if Applicant's Spouse on Open Work Permit or PGWP in Canada Or Select Spouse or common-low partner of a foreign student if Applicant's Spouse on Study permit
(13) Once you fill all information, Click on Search for my application
(14) Your application will be found and can be linked.
(15) You can get real time updates on your paper application online.

I hope this information will help you...!!!

In case of any doubts Please drop comments below.

Thanks,
Krunal

===> I just want to comment more for this instruction:
- For (8): It is true that if you DON'T FILL CITY AND COUNTRY OF BIRTH, it works! How amazing it is!!! (#%*)
- But for (12): It depends on your situation.

For example:
- "Apply for permanent resident as a spouse or common-law partner in Canada" means your sponsor is Canadian.
- "Spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker" means your sponsor is actually a foreigner and he/she works here as a skilled worker.
---> It is very different from each other.

*** Don't forget to use Internet Explorer to fill the forms or link account to avoid errors from the system :(

I did read again the content of the threads that I gave you to make sure that I send a right thing! Best of luck guys!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shannonbella

Trinh

Sep 12, 2017
Hi Guys,

One more thing, Sponsor link account actually is not really important as it just shows you what CIC sent you.
But Applicant link account is important as you will receive all the requests and instruction letters for the next steps through that account.

Reactions: shazahsan

marcewang

Star Member
Oct 17, 2017
Hey everyone!

So I read in this thread a while ago that you can get your Alberta Health Card even with a Temporary Resident Visa.
I now live in Calgary. My husband and i have been in a common law relationship for 8 years. Can I apply to get my Alberta Health Card without us being married?
I went to the registry today and the guy said that i could apply but have to prove our common law relationship. Since we just moved to Canada only 2 months ago. We have never lived together in Canada. All the proof of our relationship that I had I sent it to the CIC, I have no idea how to prove our relationship. Has anyone been through this before?

I asked all these questions to the registry today but the guy there wasnt even sure about what he was telling me. The first time I asked him if common law partners could apply for the health card he said no. After I insisted and told him that some other people had gotten their health card, he went to the back, talked to his manager and said we could. So I am still not sure of the procedure and how to prove our relationship.

I havent gotten my AOR yet. Should be getting it this week according to other's peoples updates.

I would appreciate some advice ! Thanks !!