+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications 2016 timeline and updates

Fatih123

Star Member
Jun 3, 2017
Dear friends
Today I received email from cic.its about eligibility decision.its saying you can now apply open work Permit.
I requested my passport from border agency because cic requested from me new passport.

The border called me.they said we cannot send you your passport because its in process(for my refugee case) but they told me just write down explanation letter to cic and we will explain to them

So what are you offering me dear friends,just write down explanation letter or something else?

Thank you,

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
My status was expired when I apply CL sponsorship,now I got my aip letter,can I apply owp online?or mail is better? Thanksss
Congrats.

Either works. Processing time is still probably 4 months.

That said, IMHO, it's probably a waste of money. Yes you'll get implied visitor status when you apply. But when you have run out of status, you're case is processed under public policy... Therefore, you have been given the provision that they cannot refuse to grant a PR solely because you have no status.

On top of that, your OWP must request Restoration of Status. That is an extra $200 on top of the $255. You cannot work until they approve it. It is possible that you may have finished processing and land in that time. It's unknown if you can get that money back.

I am a bit confused. Didn't you mention last week about divorce certificate being required from Hong Kong?

Last edited:

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Dear friends
Today I received email from cic.its about eligibility decision.its saying you can now apply open work Permit.
I requested my passport from border agency because cic requested from me new passport.

The border called me.they said we cannot send you your passport because its in process(for my refugee case) but they told me just write down explanation letter to cic and we will explain to them

So what are you offering me dear friends,just write down explanation letter or something else?

Thank you,
That's all you can do. Simple explanation letter that states CBSA has your passport, and you cannot renew without it. You were directed to have CIC contact CBSA. That's it.

Reactions: sylvain1

Iahbianca

Jun 16, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have question regarding Inland application with open work permit.
What forms should i fill up in Open work permit . Is it only 5710?
And what should i put in details of intended work in canada question 1 to 5 .if i still dont have work

Thank you for reply

pedropil

Dec 2, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre - Mississauga, Ontario
App. Filed.......
16-05-2016
AOR Received.
09-06-2016
Med's Request
18-04-2017
Med's Done....
18-05-2017
Interview........
06-07-2017
LANDED..........
06-07-2017
Hi
Just an update.....got decision made on both sides.....what will be the next step?......also we submitted medical in april 2016..... is there any possibility of medical request again after getting decision made on both sides?

Thanks,,
Decision made means CIC is done processing your paper. wait for the SA, AIP and landing letter later.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
@Iahbianca:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp
for the paper application:
"
This application package includes:

"
You need to submit the document checklist IMM 5556 and the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker IMM 5710. If you are applying as a Common-Law partner, you need to supply the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union IMM 5409; and if not, and you are applying as a spouse, then you must supply a marriage certificate. Use of a Representative isn't necessary.

in IMM 5710:
Box 1 - Your UCI. If you don't know this, leave it blank. If you have a previous permit, or visitor visa in your passport, it will be on there.
Box 3 - I am applying for one or more of the following: You will want "An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer". If you are out of status, then you will want to also select "Restoration of your status as a worker". This will require an additional $200 payment for the work permit.

Fill out: Personal Details, Languages, Passport, Contact Information, Coming to Canada, Education, Employment, and Background Information as appropriate.

Details of Intended Work In Canada:
Box 1 (a) - Select "Open Work Permit"
Box 2 (a) and (b): "N/A"
Box 3 - You can leave blank or put your Province and City.
The rest, leave blank.

Print it out, sign and date.

Fill out the Checklist with all the items you are enclosing.

Go to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/pay.asp to pay fees. Here is the direct link for Temporary Resident Visas (OWPs, etc): https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/epay/order.do?category=17

Put 1 in the Quantity Box for Work permit (including extensions) – per person ($155)
Put 1 in the Quantity Box for Open work permit holder ($100)
And lastly, if you are restoring status, put 1 in the Quantity Box for Restore your status as a worker ($200)
NOTE:
For folks who are renewing or extending, you just need to pay the $155. You can pay the OWP Holder fee as well, and it will just be returned to you. Better safe than sorry!

Pay online, print out the receipt and include that in your OWP package.

Send your application in: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5553ETOC.asp#5553E7
Current Address (EXTENSIONS ONLY!):
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada - Work Permit
CPC-Vegreville
6212 - 55th Avenue, Unit 202
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6

Or (NEW APPLICATIONS):
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada - Work permit for spouses and common-law partners
CPC-Vegreville
6212 - 55th Avenue, Unit 777
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6

HTH!

Last edited:

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Hi
Just an update.....got decision made on both sides.....what will be the next step?......also we submitted medical in april 2016..... is there any possibility of medical request again after getting decision made on both sides?

Thanks,,
Congrats!

As @pedropil said, processing is done. You just need to wait for letters now (and don't worry if they miss one). The one you want to watch the most for is the invitation to the Landing Interview. That's where they will hand you your confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR).

sidhubi

Jan 24, 2017
As @pedropil said, processing is done. You just need to wait for letters now (and don't worry if they miss one). The one you want to watch the most for is the invitation to the Landing Interview. That's where they will hand you your confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR).
Thanks Profiler and Pedropil for your brief reply.
I already received SA almost 3 weeks ago. As per your reply i seems like i am missing only landing invitation letter now. Any idea about the processing time for landing interview letter.

Thanks,

Reactions: pedropil

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Thanks Profiler and Pedropil for your brief reply.
I already received SA almost 3 weeks ago. As per your reply i seems like i am missing only landing invitation letter now. Any idea about the processing time for landing interview letter.

Thanks,
Highly variable. It could be a couple hours to 8 weeks. It totally depends on when the landing office has time to schedule the interview.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
i sent my file to Mississauga office, so hopefully in same office or Etobicoke.
Based off postal code. So, if you are in Toronto proper, or in *most* of the GTA, then you will likely land at Etobicoke. That's one of the busiest offices in the country, unfortunately. It's the most variable in terms of timing for landing.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Morning folks!

I am glad to see April's chruning through the system! Just one or two March's left -- let's get those out!

For those who are wondering why processing is slower than expected, or why some offices (Montreal, Etobicoke, etc) are slower, read: this story (Reuters link)

Last edited: