+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my Norwegian girlfriend so she can come live in Canada

kanyeeast

Aug 15, 2017
I try to be brief here.

We're in our 30s. I met her at a house party in May. She was the cousin of a friend of a friend of mine and was just visiting Canada, though not for the first time. Long story short, we got to know each other, exchanged numbers, became close and ended up wanting to live together.

Now, she's from Norway, works for their government and also has a small business on the side. I, on the other hand, am entering my last year of university. I work part-time, and have had to move back to my mother's since January since she had a heart surgery and I'm taking care of her for the time being.

We decided we want to live together in Canada and not in Norway. We also realized getting permanent residency through marriage is a pretty complicated process; hence why I'm here asking this.

Neither of us was ever married before, let alone to foreigners.

Now I'm not loaded, still got OSAP loans to pay off, but not bankrupt or anything either. I do pay for the costs of living here so in a way I'm a tenant though not officially.

After doing some basic research, I understand why our government is on the hunt for folks who just want to bring their entire relatives here and mostly from poor countries. However, she's coming here by herself. Plus you could argue Norway is a hell of a lot better place to live than Canada and most countries and she doesn't need our passport either, but I digress.

I'm just wondering:
1. Do we need to live in the same country to get married?
2. What's the difference between marriage and spousal sponsor application?
3. What are the chances of our application success? And what do I need to do to prove our marriage is real?

Last edited:

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
1. Do we need to live in the same country to get married?
No, each of you can get married as a visitor to the others country.

2. What's the difference between marriage and spousal sponsor application?
There are only 2 ways to sponsor your girlfriend for PR in your case:
1 - As a married spouse.
2 - As common-law partner, meaning you've lived together at least 12 consecutive months.

3. What are the chances of our application success? And what do I need to do to prove our marriage is real?
You should actually spend more time in a real relationship first, and in person together, before deciding to get married and apply for her PR. If you jut met her in May, then it's probably still too early to think about the sponsorship process yet.

In the meantime she can look at alternative ways to come to Canada long term, such as an IEC/Working Holiday visa.
Or she can even come as a visitor and continue working on her side business as long as it doesn't involve clients in Canada.

I understand why our government is on the hunt for folks who just want to bring their entire relatives here and mostly from poor countries.
No idea what you mean by this. Majority of immigration streams are centred around finding skilled immigrants to contribute to the workforce, which has nothing to do with the country they're from or their family.

Or if you are referring to refugees, Canada is hardly "on the hunt" for this, but they do help place many immigrants who's lives would otherwise be in danger in their home country. This has nothing to do with family class apps in sponsoring your wife or common-law partner.

kanyeeast

Aug 15, 2017
Rob_TO, do we have to live together at the same place for a year? we can't live separately? maybe if we are common law?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Rob_TO, do we have to live together at the same place for a year? we can't live separately? maybe if we are common law?
Your question is confusing. To be able to say you are common law, you must physically live together at the same address for a minimum of one full year continuously. You can't become common law while living in separate countries.

emeritus

Jul 11, 2017
Visa Office......
Havana
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
AOR Received.
10-08-2017
File Transfer...
29-08-2017
Med's Request
Dec
Med's Done....
Jan 12
If you only met her in May.. I would wait. Should be together (living together or long distance) for at least a year to prove genuine relationship.

Reactions: kanyeeast

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Common-law means living together for 12 consecutive months. Doesn't matter where you live or if you move during these 12 months, as long as you are living together the entire time.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017

kanyeeast

Aug 15, 2017
Common-law means living together for 12 consecutive months. Doesn't matter where you live or if you move during these 12 months, as long as you are living together the entire time.
One thing I want to get clarified: You're saying common-law partners have to live together for one full year. How about married couples? How long do we have to live together in that case?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
We're probably not be common-law, but legally married spouses. How long do we need to be living together at the same address then?
Huh? I don't understand. You say you first met in May, now you are saying you are married??

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
One thing I want to get clarified: You're saying common-law partners have to live together for one full year. How about married couples? How long do we have to live together in that case?
Married couples can apply immediately. (for that matter, common law coupes can apply immediately - it just takes a year to get to CL status)

kanyeeast

Aug 15, 2017
Married couples can apply immediately. (for that matter, common law coupes can apply immediately - it just takes a year to get to CL status)
Great! So the plan is she comes here again in October for a week, then we go to Norway for another week, and my question is: do I need to come back to Canada with her to send the sponsorship forms and stuff or is it fine if she isn't in Canada? e.g. will there be any interviews or anything?

Bonus question: Does she get her PR faster if she comes from Norway than if she would from, say, Botswana? just curious

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We want to get married to expedite the process
I would recommend giving the relationship a few more months before you get married. Maybe aim for the 6-8 month mark (that will still be pretty fast). Getting married now will be very very fast from the time you first met and could create issues for your application. I would hold off a bit until you have been in a relationship longer. But ultimately up to you.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Great! So the plan is she comes here again in October for a week, then we go to Norway for another week, and my question is: do I need to come back to Canada with her to send the sponsorship forms and stuff or is it fine if she isn't in Canada? e.g. will there be any interviews or anything?

Bonus question: Does she get her PR faster if she comes from Norway than if she would from, say, Botswana? just curious
... so presumably your plan is to get married during one of those weeks?

If you plan to get married, and then apply while she is in Norway and you are in Canada, you will need to file an Outland application. As you are a Canadian citizen, you can do that from anywhere in the world, whether or not you two are physically together (You can be in Canada together, be in different parts of Canada, either one of you in Canada alone, out of Canada together, out of Canada separately). But bear in mind that with such a rushed timeline, from meeting in May to marriage and applying for residency by October, eyebrows will be raised at best - the more normal and committed the rest of your application, the better.

If there is an interview - which are called for if the visa officer has concerns about the genuineness of the relationship - it will be in London, which is the visa office that processes Scandinavia.