Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Bonus question: Does she get her PR faster if she comes from Norway than if she would from, say, Botswana? just curious
Generally yes it would be quicker.

However since you're getting married just 5 months or so after first meeting, and as you said it's mainly just to speed up immigration , a visa officer may see this as a marriage of convenience and cause your application time to be longer by requiring an interview. You better have ample evidence that the relationship and marriage is genuine and not just for immigration purposes.

Reactions: kanyeeast

michlish

Oct 22, 2015
Ottawa,Canada
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
30-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-07-2017
File Transfer...
29-08-2017
Med's Request
02-09-2017
If it helps you, I was in a similar situation. Whirl wind romance. Ended up marrying my boyfriend after only a couple months together because we wanted the option to live in the same country (he is australian). We ended up getting married, but after doing a lot of research decided it was too risky to apply for sponsorship after having such a short relationship- I really didn't want to get denied and then be in a situation where it would be difficult to live together, didn't want to get accused of fraud etc. He instead came to Canada on a working holiday visa (IEC) - which involves a work permit so it was perfect. He then renewed his IEC after two years (you can't do that anymore, but before they allowed for repeat IEC visas). Long story short, we just applied for PR after being married 3 years. Now, we have lots of proof of our shared life together and even though it was a whirlwind at first, i am glad we waited to apply because now our application is very straightforward and i feel confident it will move forward with ease. Just wanted to share in case it helps! :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If it helps you, I was in a similar situation. Whirl wind romance. Ended up marrying my boyfriend after only a couple months together because we wanted the option to live in the same country (he is australian). We ended up getting married, but after doing a lot of research decided it was too risky to apply for sponsorship after having such a short relationship- I really didn't want to get denied and then be in a situation where it would be difficult to live together, didn't want to get accused of fraud etc. He instead came to Canada on a working holiday visa (IEC) - which involves a work permit so it was perfect. He then renewed his IEC after two years (you can't do that anymore, but before they allowed for repeat IEC visas). Long story short, we just applied for PR after being married 3 years. Now, we have lots of proof of our shared life together and even though it was a whirlwind at first, i am glad we waited to apply because now our application is very straightforward and i feel confident it will move forward with ease. Just wanted to share in case it helps! :)
Waiting 3 years is a bit excessive. 1 year of relationship on average is more than enough, especially for applicants from other wealthy countries. Even people with less than 1 year of relationship history and a quick wedding, often get approved. It really depends on the specific case, and in many cases where the applicant is from.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Does she get her PR faster if she comes from Norway than if she would from, say, Botswana? just curious
The PA's nationality has little bearing on processing timescales, what is more relevant is which visa office processes the application - yours would be London, which is always busy and slow. Actually, other visa offices can be appreciably quicker. For actual timescales, refer to the spreadsheet link in my signature line below. Plan on 6 - 12 months.

kanyeeast

Aug 15, 2017
Generally yes it would be quicker.

However since you're getting married just 5 months or so after first meeting, and as you said it's mainly just to speed up immigration , a visa officer may see this as a marriage of convenience and cause your application time to be longer by requiring an interview. You better have ample evidence that the relationship and marriage is genuine and not just for immigration purposes.
Well, we're just planning to get married in October while she's here. I think we will send our papers in around Christmas time which should make our relationship 7-8 months long. Do they consider the time it took from when we first met to our marriage or to when we apply for sponsorship?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Well, we're just planning to get married in October while she's here. I think we will send our papers in around Christmas time which should make our relationship 7-8 months long. Do they consider the time it took from when we first met to our marriage or to when we apply for sponsorship?
They will consider how quickly you got married.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I think it is fair to say that this quick a relationship and marriage will raise 'flags' in your sponsorship process.

If you were a CIC assessment officer who can only see what you put in front of him / her on paper, what would you think??

They will want a high standard of 'proof' that this is a genuine. Letters from friends and family, photos of the two of you on holidays and with said friends etc. They may also call for an interview. If you let it run for a year or more, I am guessing it would still be carefully looked at, but perhaps you would have fewer hoops to jump through - hell, you could even apply 'common law' by then.