none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
steveohan said:
My wife and I are preparing our docs, and I had a quick question about the different family relation certificates that are required. According to my wife, most of that stuff can be printed from home online by logging into some government websites. My question is, would it be alright if those marriage/family relation certificates are printed off this way? Or do we need to visit the dong/gu office to get these printed 'officially' by the government worker?
Hmmm. Good question. Things must have changed since we applied two years ago when all of it had to come from the government office.

Unless it's a major inconvenience, I'd go to the government office and get the docs there. I seem to recall that the docs had one of those red Korean style stamps on them and were therefore fairly official looking. It would be shame to print them off your computer, have them translated and notarized and then have CIC reject them. Better safe than sorry IMO.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
bartjones said:
Hmmm. Good question. Things must have changed since we applied two years ago when all of it had to come from the government office.

Unless it's a major inconvenience, I'd go to the government office and get the docs there. I seem to recall that the docs had one of those red Korean style stamps on them and were therefore fairly official looking. It would be shame to print them off your computer, have them translated and notarized and then have CIC reject them. Better safe than sorry IMO.
I agree with this also. Those gu offices are everywhere so it shouldn't be a problem to get the docs right from there.

Even if at the office they simply print off the same form and try to give it to you as the official one, I would ask if there's some stamp or something they can put on it to truly mark it as an "original" document.

cometkim

Sep 6, 2014
How many pictures are enough for commin law application? We have only 60 photos.. would that be enough? We've been together over 4 years but we were apart most of the time and visited each other every 2-3 months, even then we didnt take a lot of pictures together. We are planning to rake more photos from now on until we aubmit our app in feb but we dont have a lot of time. Do you guys think around 60 should be enough?
We have some pictures of just two of us and with friebds and family.

steveohan

Dec 3, 2014
Thanks for the replies fellas. I figured the same thing. Guess I needed some reassurance.

Will probably be posting a few more questions as we continue through this process.

Thanks,
Steve

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
cometkim said:
How many pictures are enough for commin law application? We have only 60 photos.. would that be enough? We've been together over 4 years but we were apart most of the time and visited each other every 2-3 months, even then we didnt take a lot of pictures together. We are planning to rake more photos from now on until we aubmit our app in feb but we dont have a lot of time. Do you guys think around 60 should be enough?
Didn't do a common-law app myself but I would think that 60 would be enough. Rob TO would know better.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
cometkim said:
We had around 20-25 photos total in our common-law app. They are mainly of us at certain events (like on vacation or celebrating a b-day) and showing us with various friends and family, listing who else is in each picture.

If you spent a lot of your relationship long-distance, you should also include means of communication during that time, so things like excerpts of emails, chats, phone call logs, etc.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
A kind of off-topic question to any Canadian/Korean couples here with a child born in Canada... does anyone have experience in registering the child in Korea for the government child benefits there? Can't seem to find much info online about it.

m77m7

Sep 30, 2014
Rob_TO said:
I agree with this also. Those gu offices are everywhere so it shouldn't be a problem to get the docs right from there.

Even if at the office they simply print off the same form and try to give it to you as the official one, I would ask if there's some stamp or something they can put on it to truly mark it as an "original" document.
The red stamp is on the printout itself - it's not added by the gov worker at the gu-office post-print.

If neither of you are in Korea, then printout from online will be fine.

m77m7

Sep 30, 2014
Something has changed with the process lately at CIC. My experience differs from the typical CPC-M -> COPR -> Manilla that others got.

I got a final decision and appointment for landing at CIC Etobicoke asking the wife to bring 2 photos, passport, and the COPR which wasn't even received yet.

Application arrived at CPC-Mississauga in mid Oct and final decision recently. Landing appointment soon. I don't know how long this quick process will last but for those still doing the docs - sooner the better.

lengjai

Aug 4, 2014
We finally got this e-mail

Dear __________

This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. Your application is being processed in CPC-O - Case Processing Centre Ottawa. You should contact our office in CPC-O - Case Processing Centre Ottawa should you need to provide updates for any of your information.

Your visa(s) for permanent residence to Canada is/are ready to be issued, conditional to a final admissibility review by an immigration officer.

Your visa(s) will be valid for your initial entry to Canada until 05/03/2015 (mm/dd/yy).

In order to complete the process, you must submit the following:

1. The photocopies of passports for yourself and every family member who will accompany you to Canada. Do not include old/expired passports and passport jackets/covers.

The validity of your passport(s) must be at least six (6) months beyond the visa validity date (note that any passport received with a shorter validity than the date shown above will result in a reduced validity for entry to Canada for all members of your family, if any).

2. Completed Appendix A (attached). Please ensure that you have clearly indicated your file number (xxxxxxx), your return address and all contact numbers for delivery purposes.
so does this mean she will get PR in canada or when she is in korea. This also means that I can get her a one way ticket instead of roundtrip? Right now the address on file is the immigration office that did the app in korea so I don't feel involved unless I ask my wife to ask them to send me the emails. Everything seemed to process really quickly

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
lengjai said:
so does this mean she will get PR in canada or when she is in korea. This also means that I can get her a one way ticket instead of roundtrip? Right now the address on file is the immigration office that did the app in korea so I don't feel involved unless I ask my wife to ask them to send me the emails. Everything seemed to process really quickly
It means that sometime (probably soon) CIC will send her a document called Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). It will be sent to whatever address they currently have for her. Once she receives that, she can get a one-way ticket and come to Canada. When she arrives at the airport in Canada she will present the COPR to the CBSA officer and tell them she wants to do her landing. They will send her to secondary inspection, a CBSA officer will complete some documents and she will then be an official permanent resident.

lengjai

Aug 4, 2014
bartjones said:
It means that sometime (probably soon) CIC will send her a document called Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). It will be sent to whatever address they currently have for her. Once she receives that, she can get a one-way ticket and come to Canada. When she arrives at the airport in Canada she will present the COPR to the CBSA officer and tell them she wants to do her landing. They will send her to secondary inspection, a CBSA officer will complete some documents and she will then be an official permanent resident.
Thank you for your information. I can't wait until early next year. Things really moved fast and I really had hope that it would only take 8-10 months vs the 14 month wait time. My wife just gave her photos to immigration lawyers and hopefully she will get everything by Feb and prepare to come for April.

yumyumhungry

Dec 4, 2013
Went into "In Process" on September 24th. Dying here waiting. We want to travel in mid-March but we need to get this settled before we travel. If we get PR before March, my wife will go alone in February to land, then come back to Korea and we'll go traveling. Moving to Canada permanently in July.

Seems like people who've applied in April/May (we were in May) haven't heard much recently. So many things need to line up for us...

lengjai

Aug 4, 2014
cometkim said:
Lengjai, How long did the whole process take for you?
We received your application for permanent residence on May 16, 2014.

We started processing your application on July 21, 2014.

Medical results have been received. (medical was done prior to application)

A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision. (status changed on the 12th of December)

e-mail we got regarding CoPR
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:37 AM