+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my Korean wife for permanent residency

jmomcc

Star Member
May 29, 2014
bartjones said:
Is it a required document now for sponsors?
Sorry, I should have specified that I am the principal applicant. I thought you guys might know but I guess if the sponsor doesn't need it and your wives are korean then it would be irrelevant to you.

ARC: Alien Registration Card. The ID card that foreigners who are on visas carry in Korea.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
jmomcc said:
Sorry, I should have specified that I am the principal applicant. I thought you guys might know but I guess if the sponsor doesn't need it and your wives are korean then it would be irrelevant to you.

ARC: Alien Registration Card. The ID card that foreigners who are on visas carry in Korea.

Okay, so it is relevant to you. I assume you have an ARC. Is that correct? If so, does it show your visa status and is it in Korean or English?

jmomcc

Star Member
May 29, 2014
bartjones said:
Okay, so it is relevant to you. I assume you have an ARC. Is that correct? If so, does it show your visa status and is it in Korean or English?
Yea it does have my visa status although it doesn't actually use the word visa on the card. It just says Conversation: (E-2). It is almost all in korean. I just scanned it and translated it and wrote a note about it.

I was hoping that there would be a form I could get from the Gu Office, but I think the above method will probably be fine.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
jmomcc said:
Yea it does have my visa status although it doesn't actually use the word visa on the card. It just says Conversation: (E-2). It is almost all in korean. I just scanned it and translated it and wrote a note about it.

I was hoping that there would be a form I could get from the Gu Office, but I think the above method will probably be fine.
Just out of curiosity, what is your country of citizenship?

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
jmomcc said:
I'm Irish.
Okay, so according to the country specific guide for Ireland you do need to submit "a copy of your visa or residency permit for the country in which you currently reside." I would include a copy of the 2008 stamp showing your E-2 visa in your passport and the ARC. That should be enough.

mikeyb

Oct 20, 2014
Hi everyone,

This thread has be extremely informative, and it's nice to know that others have gone through the ups and downs and shared their experiences.

I've spent time going over the documents and am making my way through this thread. My wife and I got married in Korea this past September, and after our honeymoon, I returned to Canada, and she will be joining me in a few weeks.

Just wanted to get a feel for a few things:

1. Since I'm now officially married, do I report this at a Services Canada branch? How do I make this official here in Canada?

2. Seeing as to how my wife is still in Korea, would it potentially be feasible to apply as outland from there before she arrives in 3 weeks? The alternative is to do it inland (which I'd rather not do), or do an outland when we visit for a couple weeks in February.

3. Concerning the medical examination (I've read on this thread that the doctors send the info direct to Manila...?) Does this mean you have to have a case file already, or can it be done in advance and sent in with your application? I assume I don't need to have one done as I live in Canada? Furthermore, does this have to be booked in advance?

Once we get ours underway I'll definitely be sharing any experiences I have on here as well.

Thanks again.

jmomcc

Star Member
May 29, 2014
bartjones said:
Okay, so according to the country specific guide for Ireland you do need to submit "a copy of your visa or residency permit for the country in which you currently reside." I would include a copy of the 2008 stamp showing your E-2 visa in your passport and the ARC. That should be enough.
Sounds good. Thanks :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
mikeyb said:
1. Since I'm now officially married, do I report this at a Services Canada branch? How do I make this official here in Canada?

2. Seeing as to how my wife is still in Korea, would it potentially be feasible to apply as outland from there before she arrives in 3 weeks? The alternative is to do it inland (which I'd rather not do), or do an outland when we visit for a couple weeks in February.

3. Concerning the medical examination (I've read on this thread that the doctors send the info direct to Manila...?) Does this mean you have to have a case file already, or can it be done in advance and sent in with your application? I assume I don't need to have one done as I live in Canada? Furthermore, does this have to be booked in advance?
1. You don't need to report it to anyone as a legal marriage performed anywhere in the world is already "official" also in Canada. Just tell the CRA you are now married for tax purposes (no need to send proof), and that's it. If anyone asks to see proof of marriage (like to add spouse to work benefits, insurance purposes, etc) just have a translated copy of marriage certificate on hand. But no need at all to "register" anywhere in Canada.

Of course you'll need a certified/notarized translation of the marriage certificate (along with other Korean docs) for the PR application.

2. You can send in an outland app at anytime, and from anywhere (if she's in Korea, Canada, or elsewhere). Now that you're married you should send in the app as soon as you can finish the forms and gather all the required documents, police checks, medical, etc.

3. Only the applicant needs a medical exam. She can do the exam in Korean or Canada.

You would do an "up-front" medical so no case # is required. The doc will send the results to any local CIC MO (Regional Medical Office), not to Manila. The doc will give you a receipt with a medical file number that you include in your app, so a visa officer anywhere in the world can simply go online and pull the medical results from the RMO when it's required.

Yes book an appt in advance from any one of the CIC panel physicians. Make sure you say it's an "up-front" medical.

mikeyb

Oct 20, 2014
Rob_TO said:
1. You don't need to report it to anyone as a legal marriage performed anywhere in the world is already "official" also in Canada. Just tell the CRA you are now married for tax purposes (no need to send proof), and that's it. If anyone asks to see proof of marriage (like to add spouse to work benefits, insurance purposes, etc) just have a translated copy of marriage certificate on hand. But no need at all to "register" anywhere in Canada.

Of course you'll need a certified/notarized translation of the marriage certificate (along with other Korean docs) for the PR application.

2. You can send in an outland app at anytime, and from anywhere (if she's in Korea, Canada, or elsewhere). Now that you're married you should send in the app as soon as you can finish the forms and gather all the required documents, police checks, medical, etc.

3. Only the applicant needs a medical exam. She can do the exam in Korean or Canada.

You would do an "up-front" medical so no case # is required. The doc will send the results to any local CIC MO (Regional Medical Office), not to Manila. The doc will give you a receipt with a medical file number that you include in your app, so a visa officer anywhere in the world can simply go online and pull the medical results from the RMO when it's required.

Yes book an appt in advance from any one of the CIC panel physicians. Make sure you say it's an "up-front" medical.
With regards to 2 & 3.

Are the criminal background check, and medical examination, along with family register stuff the only things she needs done in Korea? The rest can be done here? Additionally, is there a time limit on the validity of the background check and medical examination?

Thanks for your reply, Rob.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
mikeyb said:
With regards to 2 & 3.

Are the criminal background check, and medical examination, along with family register stuff the only things she needs done in Korea? The rest can be done here? Additionally, is there a time limit on the validity of the background check and medical examination?

Thanks for your reply, Rob.
The medical exam can be done by any CIC panel physician in the world. So she can do in Korea or Canada. It is valid for 1 year, so it's best to do the medical as a last step before submitting the PR app to ensure the medical doesn't expire during processing (in which case you can be asked to do a whole new medical test).

The police check is valid for 3 months from when you get it. I know in Korea, they are very easy to get if you just go to the necessary office. You get it right away with no waiting.
Also need police checks for any country (except Canada) she's lived in at least 6 months or longer, since turning 18.

For docs you need, read the Korean guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3907e.pdf

• Family Relation Certificate and one certified true translation into French or English of your Family
Relation Certificate. This document should have been recently issued.
• Marriage Relation Certificate and one certified true translation into French or English
• Old (deleted) Family Census Register and one certified true translation into French or English

mikeyb

Oct 20, 2014
Rob_TO said:
The medical exam can be done by any CIC panel physician in the world. So she can do in Korea or Canada. It is valid for 1 year, so it's best to do the medical as a last step before submitting the PR app to ensure the medical doesn't expire during processing (in which case you can be asked to do a whole new medical test).

The police check is valid for 3 months from when you get it. I know in Korea, they are very easy to get if you just go to the necessary office. You get it right away with no waiting.
Also need police checks for any country (except Canada) she's lived in at least 6 months or longer, since turning 18.

• Family Relation Certificate and one certified true translation into French or English of your Family
Relation Certificate. This document should have been recently issued.
• Marriage Relation Certificate and one certified true translation into French or English
• Old (deleted) Family Census Register and one certified true translation into French or English
Sorry, just a couple more questions.

If we are able to apply outland from Canada (when she arrives in November), why would anyone apply inland? Basically if I have her bring the Korean documents and med/background check (necessary documents translated/notarized), we can send it to Mississauga and they will process it as Outland?

Also, if it is in process as outland, can she come and go as she pleases, and visit the states as well?

I've also seen the term, flagpoling in this thread. What does this refer to?

Thanks again.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
mikeyb said:
Basically if I have her bring the Korean documents and med/background check (necessary documents translated/notarized), we can send it to Mississauga and they will process it as Outland?
Correct

Also, if it is in process as outland, can she come and go as she pleases, and visit the states as well?
Yes, but there is never any guarantee that she will be re-admitted to Canada.

This is a process you go through to complete your permanent residence application. Once your application has been approved, CIC will send you a document called Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). You then take that document and drive to a U.S. border crossing. You tell the American border officers that you just want to turn around and re-enter Canada (i.e. you want to ‘flagpole'). They turn you around, you drive the 50 or so meters back to the Canadian border crossing, show them the COPR and tell them you want to land. They will direct you into the CBSA office where you can complete the process, after which you are officially a permanent resident.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
mikeyb said:
If we are able to apply outland from Canada (when she arrives in November), why would anyone apply inland? Basically if I have her bring the Korean documents and med/background check (necessary documents translated/notarized), we can send it to Mississauga and they will process it as Outland?
Inland is more for people who would otherwise require a special visa to visit Canada, or who have a work permit here about to expire, so need implied status that only an inland app gives.

And as I said, medical exam can be done in Canada.

Yes

Once PR is approved you get COPR documents sent to your Canadian address that you need to "land" with. By flagpoling, you just go to nearest USA land border and do a quick turnaround back to Canada side to officially land as a PR.

cometkim

Sep 6, 2014
Hi,

I'm Korean and currently working in Canada with Working holiday visa. I'm going to apply for common-law PR with my boyfriend in February(outland), and my working holiday visa is expiring in February as well. I know that I will have to change my status to Visitor to stay in Canada and I 'm not sure which option I should choose.

Option 1: Visit the states for a few days(or weeks) and try to get 6 months visitor visa at the border.
Option 2: stay in canada and apply for visitor status. In this case, can I ask more than a year?

Please let me know.
Thanks!!