21-06-2013
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
14-06-2014
costaudjoe said:
Probably Carway. If I were him, I would loop back through Highway to the Sun and cross at Roosville. Such a beautiful drive. It is one of my favorites.
I'll probably go to Carway since it's the closest to Calgary and then turn around and go to visit my parents in Lethbridge. People say the border crossing isnt as busy at Coutts so hopefully the process wont take too long. Her medical expires soon so we have to do the landing before July 4th. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Hello all,
I was wondering if it would be at all useful to send in proof that my partner and I met during our application process. I have been to Korea 4 times and we met in China in April of this year. Also my father joined us on one of the trips to Korea. We kept all of our boarding passes, e-tickets, hotel reservations, etc.

I guess I have two questions. Is there any benefit in doing this? And has anyone actually done it?

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
costaudjoe said:
Hello all,
I was wondering if it would be at all useful to send in proof that my partner and I met during our application process. I have been to Korea 4 times and we met in China in April of this year. Also my father joined us on one of the trips to Korea. We kept all of our boarding passes, e-tickets, hotel reservations, etc.

I guess I have two questions. Is there any benefit in doing this? And has anyone actually done it?
I suppose it can't hurt but it really only assists in proving the genuineness of your relationship. As far as I can recall, the VO has not questioned that aspect of your application, so I guess I would wonder why you would want to send them extra information on an issue they don't seem to be concerned about.

In terms of doing it, you can do a case specific inquiry and send the information along. It will end up in your file. When I look at my wife's GCMS notes all case specific inquiries I made do seem to reach the VO and are recorded in the file.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
bartjones said:
I suppose it can't hurt but it really only assists in proving the genuineness of your relationship. As far as I can recall, the VO has not questioned that aspect of your application, so I guess I would wonder why you would want to send them extra information on an issue they don't seem to be concerned about.

In terms of doing it, you can do a case specific inquiry and send the information along. It will end up in your file. When I look at my wife's GCMS notes all case specific inquiries I made do seem to reach the VO and are recorded in the file.
OK right.

I submitted a request for GCMS notes. So I guess all I can do is wait.

ctcruiser

Star Member
May 25, 2014
A quick update and a question or two.
The wedding went well last weekend and we've got the majority of our paperwork together I think. She just needs to get her new passport this week, and we'll be going through pictures as we'll.

About the old(deleted) family registery:
She got this today but the information Is from 2008, which is when she was told this document was discontinued. They still gave it to her, but were hesitant because they couldn't see a need for it because the law changed making it an unnecessary document in Korea. I know it's still required, but seems strange that Canada wants a discontinued document with outdated info. Did anyone else find this strange? Or did we get the wrong document?

Also, I wrote a cover letter outlining our relationship as we'll as some plans to settle on Canada. Is it recommended that she write one as we'll?

Thanks!

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
ctcruiser said:
A quick update and a question or two.
The wedding went well last weekend and we've got the majority of our paperwork together I think. She just needs to get her new passport this week, and we'll be going through pictures as we'll.

About the old(deleted) family registery:
She got this today but the information Is from 2008, which is when she was told this document was discontinued. They still gave it to her, but were hesitant because they couldn't see a need for it because the law changed making it an unnecessary document in Korea. I know it's still required, but seems strange that Canada wants a discontinued document with outdated info. Did anyone else find this strange? Or did we get the wrong document?

Also, I wrote a cover letter outlining our relationship as we'll as some plans to settle on Canada. Is it recommended that she write one as we'll?

Thanks!
Congrats on the wedding.

You need the Old (deleted) Family Census Register because (according to my wife) it contains more extensive information about your wife's family tree than the Family Relation Certificate. So, yes, you have the right document and you do need both.

The covering letter sounds fine. You don't necessarily need another one from your wife, unless she can't explain your relationship sufficiently in the space provided in the Sponsored Spouse Questionnaire.

Daantaat

Star Member
Jan 26, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 7, 2013
Doc's Request.
09-09-2013
AOR Received.
16-03-2013
File Transfer...
04-04-2013
Med's Request
Remeds: October 2, 2013
Med's Done....
October 2, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-21-2014 - Scan of Passport Info Pg requested
VISA ISSUED...
May 23, 2014
LANDED..........
June 7, 2014
Hi everyone, I just wanted to give you an update on our trip down to the Coutts border crossing this past weekend.

We drove to the US entry point and told the border officer we were there to flagpole. He took our passports and told us to park around the back of the building and go inside to the lobby. When we got in there, there were no other people waiting, just half a dozen or so really bored looking border officers and a drug-sniffing dog. After about 10 minutes another officer came out to see us and gave my husband an administrative refusal to the U.S. and told us we should get in our car and follow him back to the Canada side of the crossing. We did that and had to wait in line about 10 minutes to drive through the Canadian entry point. (Lots of people entering Canada but not many exiting!) Once we got up to the window, the officer at the window asked us why we had driven so far to flagpole when we could have just made an appointment at CIC in Edmonton to land. He then said we were supposed to do it that way and not drive down and that it was a real bone of contention with border services because people flagpoling were taking away from their time doing "serious business". I didn't bother telling him there was a 3-month waiting time for an appointment; after listening to him rant for about 5 minutes, he told us to go inside and wait in line because there were about 10 other people ahead of us waiting to flagpole. When we got in there, though, the majority of people were waiting to have their cars or transport trucks inspected before crossing. In fact, we were the only people there who were flagpoling. The next officer we spoke to took my husband's papers, asked a few questions, went over the documents with him, got him to read his COPR over and sign it, put a stamp in his passport, and then we were done. His PR card should arrive in the mail in 8 to 12 weeks, but he can use his COPR and the stamp in his passport to complete other processes - he needed it to get his SIN number this morning - it only took 10 minutes but there are no actual cards any more; he got a confirmation letter of his SIN number, so now he can start looking for work. After this, we just need to update his Alberta health care so that his coverage is permanent, as right now it expires with his visitor record. Also, the border officer told us that his COPR is not valid for travel. He has to have his actual PR card if he needs to leave the country, otherwise he could be refused entry at the border. Apparently you can ask for an emergency card if there's a reason you need to leave Canada before you get the card.

So all told, it was exactly 15 months from the day our application was received by CIC, to landing.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Interesting. Thanks for the update Daantaat and congratulations again on completing the process.

ctcruiser

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Hey guys,
Just finishing up the last of our forms and I had a funny question. When filling out work and school dates, did you put the most recent at the top, or did you start with the oldest at the top. My instinct says to start with the latest at the top like on a resume, but my wife says in Korea they start with the oldest first.
How did you guys do it?

CanAsian

Star Member
Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2013
Doc's Request.
26-05-2014
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
10-10-2013
Med's Done....
21-06-2013
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
14-06-2014
most recent first. Its going to the Canadian embassy so dont do it korean style

Sejong

Sep 4, 2013
Just an update. Manila sent my wife a request for documents for her application. They requested the Appendix A, a certificate of entry and exit, and a police check from China. The last document is becoming a challenging task. My wife studied in China as an international student from 2004-2007 with breaks in between when she returned to Korea. Our contact in Beijing attempted to get a police check on my wife's behalf but was told by the local public security bureau that it doesn't issue police checks for international students. Now I am going to have to email Manila and ask for further instructions.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Daantaat said:
Also, the border officer told us that his COPR is not valid for travel. He has to have his actual PR card if he needs to leave the country, otherwise he could be refused entry at the border. Apparently you can ask for an emergency card if there's a reason you need to leave Canada before you get the card.
That is all pretty much wrong.

There is no such thing as an "emergency card" if you need to travel before getting PR card. If you are not visa-exempt, you need to arrange for a "PR travel document", which is done at a visa office of the foreign country you're visiting. Not before you leave Canada. And this travel document is only for an airline to let you board the plane. Completely not needed if you're driving.

Also you don't need a PR card to re-enter Canada. If you can make it back to the border (either by driving here or flying on a visa-exempt passport) then just a passport and COPR is good enough for CBSA to let you in. They can very easily check PR status on their computer system and don't require the physical PR card. Countless people (including my wife) have done this.

CanAsian

Star Member
Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2013
Doc's Request.
26-05-2014
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
10-10-2013
Med's Done....
21-06-2013
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
14-06-2014
Hey Rob_To,

did you wife leave the country and come back before she recieved her PR Card? We are flagpoling this weekend and then are planning to go to Korea for 2 weeks in August. Im not sure if her PR card will arrive before that. After reading other people's responses I was worried about traveling. Can she come back in with her COPR and her passport? Koreans are visa exempt so I cant imagine it being a problem.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
CanAsian said:
Hey Rob_To,

did you wife leave the country and come back before she recieved her PR Card? We are flagpoling this weekend and then are planning to go to Korea for 2 weeks in August. Im not sure if her PR card will arrive before that. After reading other people's responses I was worried about traveling. Can she come back in with her COPR and her passport? Koreans are visa exempt so I cant imagine it being a problem.
Yes, we did a trip to Mexico right after she landed. At the airport in Mexico, she didn't say she was a PR, she only said she was traveling on her visa-exempt passport. When we got back to Toronto airport, the immigration officer there just took her COPR and passport and looked up her info that she was PR, and let us through no problem.

The ONLY problem she may possibly face, is trying to board the plane in Korea with no return or onward ticket from Canada. I've heard Korean airlines are very picky about this, even for visa-exempt travelers. So you may be forced to buy a return ticket on the spot (you could get a fully refundable one and cancel it immediately after).

Other option to be completely safe, is if her PR card arrives while you are still in Korea, whoever is at home to receive it in Canada can courier it to you in Korea. Of course you can't depend on this since who knows how long the PR card will take to arrive.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
We received the re-medical request by email a few weeks ago. Completed it right away. It's been 13 months so the first one expired after 12 months. I don't know if this is the final step or what.