28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
lmkay88 said:
We had a engagement party with family and some neighbours family friends, it wasn't very big but nice, maybe 30 people. We didn't have a wedding yet :S Is this usually a big problem. Our reasons are of course time, I could only visit the second time for three weeks and that was mostly spent getting our legal paperwork together. The other reason is I very much want to have a wedding with family and friends here (which we both want and agree on) Anyone been in this situation and its been okay?
In order to sponsor your partner, you must either be married or common law. Common law means you have physically lived together for a minimum of one full year. Being engaged unfortunately isn't enough to qualify to sponsor.

habeeb

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Scylla is correct, I just assumed lmkay that you knew that and were just planning ahead. You have to wait until you're married to file the applications. As for your wedding being small, it depends on a lot of things. If you have many red flags, such as not having the same religion and culture, then if you have a small wedding the VO who is in charge of your application file will see it as an attempt to hide your wedding from the community at large and this can result in refusal. They are absolutely unreasonable about these things. You said you were close in age, which is one thing in your favour. But if you are not muslim this is a big red flag. If you only have a small wedding it will be even more suspicious. Moroccans are known for having huge weddings and the whole neighbourhood or town participates, with parades and music and parties going on for up to three days. It's not something everyone wants, I certainly didn't! But as I say if you have other red flags it will be very hard for the VO to get past a small wedding.

jamali

Nov 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2013
AOR Received.
May 2013
File Transfer...
May 21, 2013
Med's Done....
January 2013 (first medical never rec'd) so re-do December 2013
Interview........
November 2013
VISA ISSUED...
March 5, 2014
LANDED..........
March 16, 2014
Hi Imkay, welcome to the forum.

So you have visited Morocco twice now? The first was to meet your future husband and have an engagement celebration, then the second was to get legally married? When will you have your wedding celebration? It is very good that you did not marry during the first visit because it causes a major red flag.

Well I can only speak from my experience and I don't want to scare you but Rabat is one of the most difficult offices to go through due to marriage fraud. When my husband and I sent in our proof of relationship, we sent in absolutely everything we could think of ... phone bills, facebook, msn, skype, tons of photos of us traveling with his family or visiting family and friends, receipts from our travels (i had visited him 4 times by the the time we submitted our application and already had a ticket for the fifth visit) .. the receipts included hotel receipts, gas receipts, restaurant receipts, gift receipts, etc, etc. We literally submitted an entire box of proof. We did as much as we could because we had the usual red flags (age difference, culture/religious difference). Our major red flag was that we did not have a wedding celebration/ceremony. I know some of the VO's tend to focus on this as being very important but I guess it depends on the conduct of the relationship. I think it helped that when we submitted the photos, we had a lot of pictures of many people (family & friends). Also time was on our side. We met in 2009, I visited him September 2010 and then returned to marry in July 2011. We didn't submit our application until 2013 (I don't know if this was a good thing or not ... lol)

So like I said, we submitted so much proof. Later when we ordered our GCMS notes, they noted that our file was well documented. Even at the interview, the VO told my husband that we have much proof and that this is an advantage for us. After the interview, the VO told my husband that he would approve our application and he gave him back all our proofs. I had organized the proof very well, included a table of contents, etc ... and we could see that they did look through our proofs but didn't read everything because some of the envelopes were opened in a way that you can tell they just peaked inside.

So when submitting your proof of relationship, take into consideration the concerns a VO might have. I can see you have a couple of things going for you already, which is no big age difference and you married on your second visit. Do you follow the same religion? If yes, then that is a very good advantage for you. If not, then you want to make it clear that you and your husband have discussed which religion your children will be raised by. Also, when will you have your wedding celebration? Like Habeeb said, they do tend to put an importance on this. I don't know if my husband and I were just lucky we were approved without a wedding celebration. Maybe because we took a very long honeymoon, it helped in our favour. If you plan on submitting your application before your wedding celebration, be sure to include proof that you are indeed planning on having on. Also you mention that you have a child from a previous relationship ... be sure that your husband knows about almost everything about your child.

Good luck to you and your husband! This process is a long one but definitely worth it in the end!!

lmkay88

Jan 16, 2015
Yes, me and my husband are legally married, sorry I didn't really clarify! We met through mutual friends in 2013 and talked for a year, then myself and our two friends traveled to Morocco in august (our two friends were married there, so I have seen the Morocco wedding :) ) We got engaged on that trip and had our engagement party with family and friends. I went back in December and we were legally married. We didn't plan a wedding celebration due to time and because I would like to have one here. I just feel so nervous, like I'm sure you all were about the process. Thank you all for answering my questions and giving your support. What happens if they feel as though it isn't a true marriage and they say no? and the timeline? has everyone experienced about a 1 year wait? Also has anyone's spouse tried to get a visitor visa to come visit while you wait to be approved? Does this negatively or positivly impact the process?

habeeb

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Imkay everyone's case on here has been different. Some got visas in as little as 6 months but most often it's at least 9 months total. One month for sponsor, then 4-6 months for background and security checks of applicant then a month to get the interview and if visa isn't given at end of interview then roughly another month for that. At least that seems to be the average, based on those who pay all fees and do medical upfront.
I hate to say this but if u r not Muslim, it could be a problem that ur not having a traditional large wedding. It's great that u ' ve found this forum before filing ur application, I really wish I had. Believe me, however challenging it may seem to have the big wedding, nothing can compare to the challenge of being refused. An appeal can be filed but it means roughly 3 more years of separation because there is no way ur spouse will ever get a visitor visa while he is awaiting sponsorship

jamali

Nov 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2013
AOR Received.
May 2013
File Transfer...
May 21, 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
November 2013
VISA ISSUED...
March 5, 2014
LANDED..........
March 16, 2014
lmkay88 said:
I just feel so nervous, like I'm sure you all were about the process. Thank you all for answering my questions and giving your support. What happens if they feel as though it isn't a true marriage and they say no? and the timeline? has everyone experienced about a 1 year wait? Also has anyone's spouse tried to get a visitor visa to come visit while you wait to be approved? Does this negatively or positivly impact the process?
This process is quite nerving because it's more like a waiting game and second guessing your application ... ;D

Right now, it's 85 days to be approved as sponsor then an additional 9 months for the application to be processed in Rabat ... so it's between 10 to 12 months in total.

Like Habeeb said, everyone's case is different. Depending on the red flags or lack of, it can go quicker .. or if it's a complicated case, it can be longer. Really there is no rhyme or reason as to how the office in Rabat works. The VO's seem to accept some things and then turn around and not accept it in another application. So the better thing to do is to submit your absolute best application from the start ... because I truly believe that the VO's make up their mind about the application even before the interview. So if you look at your red flags, it's better to address them as best as you can. I've seen someone post that her husband was refused because the VO felt that the husband's body language didn't show that he loved her :eek:, another was refused even though the wife visited him 3 times, married on the second visit and even took her sister during one of her trips ... and then there were some where they were accepted even if there was age and religious differences ... so like I said no rhyme or reason.

As for a visitor visa, it is very difficult to receive one. Your husband would have to show strong ties to Morocco such as owning property, work, sufficient funds to visit, etc ... having a wife in Canada would not help the visitor application. They will want him to show that once the visa is expired, he will return to Morocco.

Good luck!

Terry73

Star Member
Sep 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2013
File Transfer...
10-07-2013
Med's Done....
02-03-2013
Interview........
12-11-2013
Just want to let everyone know, we still have not heard anything for the appeal as of yet, still waiting. But I am very excited because I am going to see hubby in February. I can not wait. I miss him so much and I will be there on our anniversary.

jamali

Nov 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2013
AOR Received.
May 2013
File Transfer...
May 21, 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
November 2013
VISA ISSUED...
March 5, 2014
LANDED..........
March 16, 2014
Terry73 said:
Just want to let everyone know, we still have not heard anything for the appeal as of yet, still waiting. But I am very excited because I am going to see hubby in February. I can not wait. I miss him so much and I will be there on our anniversary.
I hope you hear something very soon regarding that hearing date!

Woohoooo awesome!! At last something to look forward too! I hope this month goes by quickly but your time with your husband goes so slowly ;D Safe travels! :D

MaryL

Apr 24, 2014
Land of Living Skies
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
30-10-14
AOR Received.
22-01-15
File Transfer...
27-01-15
Med's Done....
28-08-14 Redone 25-07-17
Interview........
21-05-15 DM 10-08-17
Passport Req..
05-10-17
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-17
LANDED..........
14-10-17
AOR received today at 2pm. Day 85, finally hearing something good. One yr wedding anny tomorrow.
Best of luck to the rest still waiting. On to the next...

jamali

Nov 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2013
AOR Received.
May 2013
File Transfer...
May 21, 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
November 2013
VISA ISSUED...
March 5, 2014
LANDED..........
March 16, 2014
MaryL said:
AOR received today at 2pm. Day 85, finally hearing something good. One yr wedding anny tomorrow.
Best of luck to the rest still waiting. On to the next...
That's great ... at least now you know your file will be in Rabat. Let the real waiting game begin ;D

Happy Anniversary!

MaryL

Apr 24, 2014
Land of Living Skies
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
30-10-14
AOR Received.
22-01-15
File Transfer...
27-01-15
Med's Done....
28-08-14 Redone 25-07-17
Interview........
21-05-15 DM 10-08-17
Passport Req..
05-10-17
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-17
LANDED..........
14-10-17
Thank you jamali, also received SA five days after AOR. On 27th. File is being transferred. Will see if we get second AOR.

ArlJam

Star Member
Oct 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2013
Med's Done....
January 2013/ Re-done on December 2013
Interview........
November 2013
Passport Req..
February 2014
VISA ISSUED...
March 2014
LANDED..........
March 2014
Big SALAM to everyone :)

Hope everyone is alright :)

It has been a long time..

All the best for the new people here that they just started the process or about to start it, and best of luck to everyone who is waiting for the visa. also best of luck to all people whom facing the appeal, wish you all a fast process and good and happy news very soon insha'Allah :)

Take care all..!

Terry73

Star Member
Sep 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2013
File Transfer...
10-07-2013
Med's Done....
02-03-2013
Interview........
12-11-2013
Hey everyone, well I am back in Canada after visiting hubby. It was so had to leave him again but so good to be in his arms again.

Hope everyone is doing good. Still waiting to hear about the appeal. Hopefully soon.

MaryL

Apr 24, 2014
Land of Living Skies
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
30-10-14
AOR Received.
22-01-15
File Transfer...
27-01-15
Med's Done....
28-08-14 Redone 25-07-17
Interview........
21-05-15 DM 10-08-17
Passport Req..
05-10-17
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-17
LANDED..........
14-10-17
Rabat sent email on Feb 11. Asking for RPR fee to be paid and more proof of relationship. As well as personal history dating back about two yrs. Put together a package. It took a little longer than I wished but Rabat should get it by the end of the week. Hopefully things keep going smoothly. Best of luck to everyone

jamali

Nov 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2013
AOR Received.
May 2013
File Transfer...
May 21, 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
November 2013
VISA ISSUED...
March 5, 2014
LANDED..........
March 16, 2014
Terry73 said:
Hey everyone, well I am back in Canada after visiting hubby. It was so had to leave him again but so good to be in his arms again.

Hope everyone is doing good. Still waiting to hear about the appeal. Hopefully soon.
Hi Terry ... I'm so glad you finally had the chance to visit your husband. Geez, hopefully you will hear something soon about your appeal insha'Allah