+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor on odsp can I work

Apr 7, 2022
My wife is on odsp and her case worker keeps hounding us for me to start working but I'm pretty sure I have to wait 3 years or is there an exemption for the sponsored person to be able to work if the sponsor is disabled? I can't find anything on Google about this so I figured I'd ask here.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My wife is on odsp and her case worker keeps hounding us for me to start working but I'm pretty sure I have to wait 3 years or is there an exemption for the sponsored person to be able to work if the sponsor is disabled? I can't find anything on Google about this so I figured I'd ask here.
Do you have a work permit or PR? If you do, you can work. Why do you have to wait 3 years? Your working may change her ODSP payments.

Reactions: Alexis1971

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Because of the undertaking which is supposed to be 3 years or am I mistaken? And I do have my PR status.
You are mistaken. You can work immediately once you have PR.

You've misunderstood what the 3 year rule means.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can you explain the 3 year rule to me please cause we did this all ourselves and 0 clue on what to do each step of the way
It means that if you go on social assistance during the first three years after you become a PR, your spouse will need to pay that money back to the government.

Reactions: Alexis1971
Apr 7, 2022
It means that if you go on social assistance during the first three years after you become a PR, your spouse will need to pay that money back to the government.
Ok if that's the case do you happen to know if I'm eligible to apply for odsp since its a disability program or should I wait for the 3 years to be up (I have a diagnosed disability but can work up to a point with it) ik I keep asking alot of questions sorry like I said new to all of this with no one to point us in the correct direction and thank you for helping

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok if that's the case do you happen to know if I'm eligible to apply for odsp since its a disability program or should I wait for the 3 years to be up (I have a diagnosed disability but can work up to a point with it) ik I keep asking alot of questions sorry like I said new to all of this with no one to point us in the correct direction and thank you for helping
You should not go on ODSP for 3 years. If you do, you can expect that your spouse will need to repay these funds to the government.

You cannot take social assistance for 3 years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should not go on ODSP for 3 years. If you do, you can expect that your spouse will need to repay these funds to the government.

You cannot take social assistance for 3 years.
Don’t think that ODSP is considered welfare but there is a good chance that you don’t qualify for ODSP if you recently got status in Canada. You also would have likely had to show that you had some form of assets and the ability to work to get sponsorship approval.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Don’t think that ODSP is considered welfare but there is a good chance that you don’t qualify for ODSP if you recently got status in Canada. You also would have likely had to show that you had some form of assets and the ability to work to get sponsorship approval.
As it relates to the 3 year period where the sponsor is financially responsible for the applicant, both OW and ODSP need to be repaid if taken. Agreed that different rules apply in terms of qualifying to sponsor. However as it relates to the OP's situation, if ODSP (or OW) is taken, the sponsorship spouse will need to pay it back.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As it relates to the 3 year period where the sponsor is financially responsible for the applicant, both OW and ODSP need to be repaid if taken. Agreed that different rules apply in terms of qualifying to sponsor. However as it relates to the OP's situation, if ODSP (or OW) is taken, the sponsorship spouse will need to pay it back.
Good to know. Thought it was just OW.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. There is no "3 year restriction" on you working. You could go to work tomorrow if you had a job.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You can work as a PR. There is no restriction on working.
However, I think the amount your family recieve from ODSP is determined by family income and source of funds. It's a complicated case on ODSP receiver to show enough income/savings to sponsor a spouse (for the 3 years of supporting the PA). But you should not apply for ODSP yourself until the 3 years undertaking is over.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-disability-support-program-eligibility-income-support#section-3

neuroCanadian

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ontario
Category........
Other
A lot of inaccuracies in this thread…

1. yes ODSP is social assistance

2. social assistance in Ontario is given out to households, not to individuals. There’s no such thing as a married couple living together in which only one of the two is on social assistance: they either both are or neither is.

3. the federal government does keep track of the “excess” amount that any household—in which a member is being sponsored—is receiving each month. If the sponsor’s disability is temporary and they leave the ODSP program, the federal govt could ask them to pay it back, but if the person’s disability is lifelong and they stay on social assistance, the federal government cannot actually ask you to pay it back unless you try to start another sponsorship (at any time in the future, even decades later).