+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing questions

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hi Folks!

I had some questions about Soft landing, hoping someone can help me :

1. Planning on doing a "soft-landing", we are currently in the US and plan to move only by end of year (spouse will move with job to Toronto) but our COPR expires in July. But on reading online it seems there is no official thing called soft-landing and if the agent suspects we are returning immediately they might not issue our PR card, is this true?

2. Does this make a land border soft landing more suspicious than airport and likely to lead to denial or refusal to mail the card? We have family in Canada and plan to use their address and say we are staying with them temporarily.

3. Lastly only I am doing the landing my spouses H1B visa hasn't been stamped so going back to India (no dates in Canada) is not an option currently, is that a problem.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Thanks for the response.

I read some experiences were folks said that giving friends address lead to the agent refusing to mail the PR card to a friend or said that "We will send the card only once you move permanently, is that not a concern?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
3. Lastly only I am doing the landing my spouses H1B visa hasn't been stamped so going back to India (no dates in Canada) is not an option currently, is that a problem.
You can land if you are the primary candidate. If your spouse is primary you can't do landing before primary candidate.

Also, you don't need H1B stamped. You should be able to do soft landing and enter USA using Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR). Google or search this forum.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
I read some experiences were folks said that giving friends address lead to the agent refusing to mail the PR card to a friend or said that "We will send the card only once you move permanently, is that not a concern?
It happens sometimes and if you find an agent like that then you can't do much. But I would say this doesn't happen often. My guess is probably only in 2-3% cases or even less. Also, most cases you will see on forum are from windsor tunnel land border. I haven't seen such case happening in doing landing via air.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Don't talk explicitly about soft landing, just say you're landing there as a permanent resident.

If the IO presses you about your commitments in the U.S, then say you're soft landing, but that's a rare occurrence from most people's accounts.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
HI @ryeCatcher have you sorted your situation?

I also need to do a soft landing before August 1. There are a lot of hearsay and opinions about how soft-landing right now is out of question and "non-essential", but I haven't found any first hand testimony of refusal of entry into Canada by immigration officers because of soft landing plans in the midst of COVID-19. I read about guys being refused boarding by their airline company for not having the intent to permanently settle but nothing about immigration officers' refusal to grant PR or allow people to enter the country.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Yes I was able to complete my landing, but I followed the full quarantine period.
Details here :
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/soft-landing-in-march-april-2020-and-coronavirus-concerns.681939/page-4#post-8634490
HI @ryeCatcher have you sorted your situation?

I also need to do a soft landing before August 1. There are a lot of hearsay and opinions about how soft-landing right now is out of question and "non-essential", but I haven't found any first hand testimony of refusal of entry into Canada by immigration officers because of soft landing plans in the midst of COVID-19. I read about guys being refused boarding by their airline company for not having the intent to permanently settle but nothing about immigration officers' refusal to grant PR or allow people to enter the country.

Reactions: BillyWescott