+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing + Immigration Rules

maxhoney2001

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
Hello Experts, Question related to soft landing. Can i do a soft landing without my family and get PR cards for all my family memebers or is it mandatory to have landing done for complete family to get PR card ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello Experts, Question related to soft landing. Can i do a soft landing without my family and get PR cards for all my family memebers or is it mandatory to have landing done for complete family to get PR card ?
Well first due to COVID soft landings are not currently supported.

Second you and each of your family need to complete landings you cannot land alone and apply for PR cards for them

You assume as primary applicant must either land first or at same time as your family. Your family cannot land ahead of you but can land with you or after you.

Nov 15, 2018
Hi Ijaz (ijaz_ch84,),
I have a similar situation that my COPR expires in Nov,2020, and currently I reside in US. But it looks like they allow soft landing now as you have completed recently. Did you travel from US and came back? Did you have to quarantine for 14 days? For a soft landing, what all the documents we need to present at the border and PR application? I am also debating whether I should wait until after all these COVID thing settles and do a soft landing afterwards, but that time my COPR expires as well. what would you recommend? Greatly appreciate your advise.
Thanks,
Shameer

The Spectacle

Sep 16, 2020
Hi Ijaz (ijaz_ch84,),
I have a similar situation that my COPR expires in Nov,2020, and currently I reside in US. But it looks like they allow soft landing now as you have completed recently. Did you travel from US and came back? Did you have to quarantine for 14 days? For a soft landing, what all the documents we need to present at the border and PR application? I am also debating whether I should wait until after all these COVID thing settles and do a soft landing afterwards, but that time my COPR expires as well. what would you recommend? Greatly appreciate your advise.
Thanks,
Shameer
hey did you get any clarifications to this? what did you decide to do?

Nov 15, 2018

Nimz10

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Hi I have a small doubt. If I come to Canada to validate my COPR, can I return back to my home country after all the procedure? I have a friend in Canada and I can give his address to get the PR cards get posted. Pls help. Also I have heard IRCC is now extending COPR visa validation time period? Is it true? Anyone got like that?
Thanks thanks thanks in advance

uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Well first due to COVID soft landings are not currently supported.
@Bs65 Can you explain this sentence a bit more in detail? Few questions I have:
  1. What does it exactly mean not supported? If one lands and gets PR card, is it forbidden to leave Canada afterwards?
  2. Due to COVID, are people still required to land to Canada to get all the paperwork done or is it possible to do this remotely during this pandemic period (I understand that remote option is not safe for bunch of reasons, but to double check)?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi I have a small doubt. If I come to Canada to validate my COPR, can I return back to my home country after all the procedure? I have a friend in Canada and I can give his address to get the PR cards get posted. Pls help. Also I have heard IRCC is now extending COPR visa validation time period? Is it true? Anyone got like that?
Thanks thanks thanks in advance
Nobody is supposed to do a soft landing at the moment due to covid but most people haven’t been prevented from landing since it is often not evident that you are doing a soft landing. You should be planning to quarantine for 14 days before returning home.

Reactions: Nimz10

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@Bs65 Can you explain this sentence a bit more in detail? Few questions I have:
  1. What does it exactly mean not supported? If one lands and gets PR card, is it forbidden to leave Canada afterwards?
  2. Due to COVID, are people still required to land to Canada to get all the paperwork done or is it possible to do this remotely during this pandemic period (I understand that remote option is not safe for bunch of reasons, but to double check)?
Canada is trying to minimize traffic Into Canada so Canada only wants those coming to Canada longterm to land. It is not forbidden to land in Canada. People have not been upfront with their plans and have landed in Canada, done their quarantine for 14 days and returned to their home country. You must still physically come to Canada to land even during covid.

uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
@canuck78 Thank you for your replies above. Still few questions.
  • You say “Canada only wants those coming to Canada long term to land”. Does this mean that Canada currently considers soft landing scenarios to be illegal?
  • You are saying about people not being upfront with their plans. In case one gets PR card, does the quarantine and afterwards goes back temporary to some other country, is this going to cause loss of PR status after this person comes back to Canada after a while?
  • Since Canada only intends for people who wanna settle to come, do you know how long is COPR validation period these days?
  • Once COPR is obtained and needs to be validated, is there any reason/way to extend period needed for its validation? For example, what happens if one needs to come to Canada from super risky COVID zones? Or is that not really important since whatever the situation with virus is at that moment, one needs to do quarantine anyway and that’s considered to be enough?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
@canuck78 Thank you for your replies above. Still few questions.
  • You say “Canada only wants those coming to Canada long term to land”. Does this mean that Canada currently considers soft landing scenarios to be illegal?
  • You are saying about people not being upfront with their plans. In case one gets PR card, does the quarantine and afterwards goes back temporary to some other country, is this going to cause loss of PR status after this person comes back to Canada after a while?
  • Since Canada only intends for people who wanna settle to come, do you know how long is COPR validation period these days?
  • Once COPR is obtained and needs to be validated, is there any reason/way to extend period needed for its validation? For example, what happens if one needs to come to Canada from super risky COVID zones? Or is that not really important since whatever the situation with virus is at that moment, one needs to do quarantine anyway and that’s considered to be enough?
Soft landings are discouraged on the basis Canada is trying to be responsible by discouraging people from international travel during a pandemic specifically if they intend to travel stay for a few days or weeks then fly home again. A soft landing is not illegal just that there might always be the possibility CBSA could refuse to complete a landing at the POE or refuse to submit a PR card application.

On the IRCC website it specifically says do not travel to Canada unless planning to settle.

Once some one has completed their landing and the mandatory 14 quarantine there is nothing to stop anyone leaving Canada and unless leaving before quarantine complete unlikely to have any long term PR status implications but that’s just a personal view. Unlike a country like Australia where most travel out of the country is banned no such restriction exists for Canada . By the way PR cards are taking around 4 months to process so not exactly meeting the definition of a soft landing.

Validity of COPR varies so not an easy question to answer but maybe assume same as pre COVID and linked in part to validity of medical. If you read both the IRCC website and also specific COVID threads on this site there is a web form process to support extending on a temp basis the validity until ready to travel.However should only expect this to be an extension for a matter of months.

Not sure that there would be any specific scrutiny with someone travelling from a high risk area beyond maybe scrutiny by CBSA at POE , if there were then like the US has restrictions travel would be specifically banned/ restricted from such an area/country so the mandatory quarantine for now I would assume is good enough. Obviously things are changing daily and even whilst writing this things could have changed.

Just to add the obvious that everyone should be honest with CBSA, only answer questions asked and not volunteer anything extra. Others have reported on here that CBSAs main focus is that a traveller has a valid isolation plan as opposed to that many questions about settlement. But of course every interaction will be different and unpredictable.

Last edited:

uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Amazing, thank you for the answers.

And wow I remember it was like 6 weeks (give or take) before. Is it really 4 months now? That indeed is anything but a soft landing.

Nimz10

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Got my PPR request. My medical expires on 15th February. And according to what I have read recently I got to know soft landing is not allowed now. I was planning to move by the end of 2021. What do u guys think? Will they give me more time to settle everything and come or will I have to move there before Feb 15th?

uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
I am not qualified to give you an answer to your question, but I am still wondering what does this discouraging of soft landing really mean. How I understand it right now (I can easily be wrong, I have no legal knowledge to interpret what does the statement really mean, so please don’t take this thinking out loud of mine as anything meaningful) is that soft landing seems to be just not advised to be done.

If one lands and immigration officer allows one to enter and you get your PR card, one should have rights which permanent residents of Canada are entitled to. And I would assume that leaving Canada is one of them. If PR status would be revoked for someone upon attempt to leave Canada few days after getting PR card (which would be clear indicator of soft landing), wouldn’t that decision need to be something really serious and stated somewhere explicitly what it means and what consequences soft landers might encounter if they attempt to do that?

arfin07

Oct 17, 2019
I dont intend to disappoint everyone but please note the following..

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html

23 Oct 2020 version

Quote"

If we already approved your permanent resident application
If you’re outside Canada
Note: If your confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) is expired, follow these steps.

You won’t be allowed to enter Canada right now if you’re coming to validate your COPR and become a permanent resident, unless you are exempt from the travel restrictions.

You are exempt from the current travel restrictions and can come to Canada if you have a valid COPR, and

• the COPR was issued on or before March 18, 2020, or
  • the COPR was issued after March 18, 2020 and you are an immediate family member sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (note that grandparents are not considered immediate family members and cannot come to Canada at this time), or
  • you’re currently living in the U.S. and will be coming to Canada directly (transiting through the U.S. to Canada doesn’t apply)
To meet the travel restriction exemptions, you must also be coming to Canada to settle permanently (you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary)
  • show you’re able to quarantine for 14 days
If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check conducted by the airline before boarding a flight. If you show symptoms of COVID-19, you won’t be allowed to board.

"Unquote

Reactions: Nimz10