Soft Landing + Immigration Rules

uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Does this mean that if one got COPR after March 18th 2020 (and has no family in Canada nor is travelling from US) can't even go to Canada to validate COPR in current state of things?

arfin07

Oct 17, 2019
Does this mean that if one got COPR after March 18th 2020 (and has no family in Canada nor is travelling from US) can't even go to Canada to validate COPR in current state of things?
Unless you are planning to go to Canada permanently, you cannot go to Canada.

uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
I understand that part you bolded and thank you very much for pointing that out, pretty useful and I'd say pretty clearly stated.

But by looking at this part:

You are exempt from the current travel restrictions and can come to Canada if you have a valid COPR, and
  • the COPR was issued on or before March 18, 2020, or
  • the COPR was issued after March 18, 2020 and you are an immediate family member sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (note that grandparents are not considered immediate family members and cannot come to Canada at this time), or
  • you’re currently living in the U.S. and will be coming to Canada directly (transiting through the U.S. to Canada doesn’t apply)
how I understand it is that it says:
  • If you are exempt from travel restrictions and you have valid COPR which was issued on March 18th or before, you can enter Canada (to permanently settle).
  • If you are exempt from travel restrictions and you have valid COPR which was issued on March 19th or later, you can enter Canada only if you ar an immediate family member OR you are currently living in USA and plan to come directly to Canada (to permanently settle).
My question is: All of those who received their COPR on March 19th and later and who are not immediate family members AND don't live in USA and plan to go directly to Canada - are they at the moment allowed to enter Canada at all (to permanently settle) or not?

How I read this explanation from the page you linked, seems to me that those people are not even allowed to travel to Canada right now even though they intend to permanently settle. Like said, I might not understand this well (sorry on that, I am not native English speaker).

Reactions: Nimz10 and arfin07

arfin07

Oct 17, 2019
I understand that part you bolded and thank you very much for pointing that out, pretty useful and I'd say pretty clearly stated.

• If you are exempt from travel restrictions and you have valid COPR which was issued on March 18th or before, you can enter Canada (to permanently settle).
  • If you are exempt from travel restrictions and you have valid COPR which was issued on March 19th or later, you can enter Canada only if you ar an immediate family member OR you are currently living in USA and plan to come directly to Canada (to permanently settle).
My question is: All of those who received their COPR on March 19th and later and who are not immediate family members AND don't live in USA and plan to go directly to Canada - are they at the moment allowed to enter Canada at all (to permanently settle) or not?

How I read this explanation from the page you linked, seems to me that those people are not even allowed to travel to Canada right now even though they intend to permanently settle. Like said, I might not understand this well (sorry on that, I am not native English speaker).
You have a point. I am also in the same category as you. I believe IRCC will have some updates on this category soon as they have just now in Oct'20 started to approve COPR of non-US and non-Canada applicants.. they cannot open the COPR flood gates without having a plan to deal with people coming to them about their expiring COPR.

Reactions: uerceg

uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
I see. Thank you for your thoughts. I am actually not even in possession of COPR, I am now about to apply for OINP, but was considering soft landing as an option since I am not sure I'm ready to do full move to Canada in (let's say by the time I get my COPR) 18 months from now (would need one more year, so to settle permanently in spring / summer of 2023). Obviously soft landing impossible right now and this is what I was trying to find out in this thread. So I am now standing in doubt if I should accept provincial nomination NOI and risk going through entire process and spend several thousands of (in my case) EUR to find out that COVID is still gonna torment the mankind 18 months from now and that my only option will be to permanently settle in Canada. From what I see, there is absolutely no way for me to know if these rules are still gonna be in place in 18 months from now. So whether I try to go for COPR or not, seems to me it's gonna be decided with a coin toss. :)

Nimz10

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020

That’s what I understood too.. the people who have got COPR after 18th March are not allowed to come even if they move to Canada permanently unless they reside in USA and if they have immediate family member in Canada .
I hope Canada will give us enough time to move in permanently if they are not encouraging soft landing

uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Yeah, I hope so, too. Like, I “have” different problem where I would like soft landing to be possible, but it’s not. But seems like an army of people can’t even enter Canada to fulfill their dreams. Pretty sad situation. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Nimz10

arfin07

Oct 17, 2019

If you have the scores and you got the invitation, and are in no hurry to move out, then you can drag the process by taking maximum allowed time to complete the requirements so that this crisis over by the time COPR comes in hand. But don't push it too close to the edge.

uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Yep, that’s exactly what I am planning to do. I am coming close to make peace with myself that I might end up wasting 5000 - 6000 CAD on the road to COPR and still decide not to go to Canada if circumstances at that time prevent me. So I will just take as much time as possible when proceeding with each step and hope for the best once COPR is approved (that soft landing in some form might be possible, even if it requires staying in Canada for few months).

arfin07

Oct 17, 2019
@legalfalcon

Hi Legalfalcon,

We need your help.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html

I would like to clarify my following understanding based on the link above.

Those applicants who

• 1) are not in Canada, and;
  • 2) got their COPR after 18 Mar 2020, and;
  • 3) do NOT have an immediate family member sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or;
  • 4) are living in USA;
those applicants who do not satisfy all the conditions above are not allowed to come to Canada at the moment even if they want to settle permanently while possessing a VALID COPR.

Thus, in my case as I am residing in Qatar and expecting to get my COPR soon (i.e. after 18th Mar 2020) and I do NOT have close relatives in Canada, so I cannot travel to Canada even if I wanted to settle permanently while possessing a VALID COPR. I just have to wait till there is a change in travel policy even if my COPR expires.

Thanks for clarifying if the above is true.

Reactions: Nimz10

Nimz10

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
@legalfalcon

Hi Legalfalcon,

We need your help.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html

I would like to clarify my following understanding based on the link above.

Those applicants who

• 1) are not in Canada, and;
  • 2) got their COPR after 18 Mar 2020, and;
  • 3) do NOT have an immediate family member sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or;
  • 4) are living in USA;
those applicants who do not satisfy all the conditions above are not allowed to come to Canada at the moment even if they want to settle permanently while possessing a VALID COPR.

Thus, in my case as I am residing in Qatar and expecting to get my COPR soon (i.e. after 18th Mar 2020) and I do NOT have close relatives in Canada, so I cannot travel to Canada even if I wanted to settle permanently while possessing a VALID COPR. I just have to wait till there is a change in travel policy even if my COPR expires.

Thanks for clarifying if the above is true.
Anyone who lives outside USA but got the visa approved before March 18th still can enter right?

satatinfy

Oct 14, 2017
Hi All,
I am planning on doing a soft landing from Detroit next week (on friday) as our COPRs expire in Nov and could definitely use some advice on the following questions.
1) Which border - Windsor tunnel, ambasador bridge or port Huron-sarnia is preferable.
2) On GTF forms - is this really needed to be provided right away. as we are planning to just complete the landing at border and turn back right away. or can we ask the officer that we will provide this when we are moving in to settle for good.
3) What will the IMO bucket you as in the form - Settler ? ( even if its just a soft landing) . Is this expected or shd he be bucketing us into a different category ?
4) Is there any advice on what the total amount for your GTF shd be. Can it for example sum upto 40-60k CAD and still be ok ? (I understand that individual items/grouping value shd not be more than 10k each)
5) How do we provision for items that we may plan to buy in future in the gtf forms. For example can i just mention macbook air/ipad without any serial number( as these may be items that I would purchase in future)

This forum has been extremely useful. God Bless. Thanks for any help that you guys can provide.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi All,
I am planning on doing a soft landing from Detroit next week (on friday) as our COPRs expire in Nov and could definitely use some advice on the following questions.
1) Which border - Windsor tunnel, ambasador bridge or port Huron-sarnia is preferable.
2) On GTF forms - is this really needed to be provided right away. as we are planning to just complete the landing at border and turn back right away. or can we ask the officer that we will provide this when we are moving in to settle for good.
3) What will the IMO bucket you as in the form - Settler ? ( even if its just a soft landing) . Is this expected or shd he be bucketing us into a different category ?
4) Is there any advice on what the total amount for your GTF shd be. Can it for example sum upto 40-60k CAD and still be ok ? (I understand that individual items/grouping value shd not be more than 10k each)
5) How do we provision for items that we may plan to buy in future in the gtf forms. For example can i just mention macbook air/ipad without any serial number( as these may be items that I would purchase in future)

This forum has been extremely useful. God Bless. Thanks for any help that you guys can provide.
As posted above, I don't think they will allow same day turn around soft landing. They are allowing people to "enter Canada to permanently settle ".

arfin07

Oct 17, 2019
Hi All,

There are people who did soft landing from USA and returned the same day. They said that they were going to US for soft landing at the border and they still got the approval to travel.

They also got their PR. Do this at your own risk.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-soft-landing-from-us-after-eo.693114/post-8946529