+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Singaporean applicants under FSW

tran

May 10, 2009
Hi Gemz,

The place to apply for your Singapore police clearance certificate is at Cantonment Police Complex, New Bridge Road, CNCC section, 2nd floor,
D Block. The building is next to Outram Park MRT station.

The morning is for application, and the afternoon is for collection. It takes
2 weeks to process. It costs $50(I think), and you need passport size
photos. Remember to bring along your passport or IC. You need letter from CIC to show that you need police clearance certificate for your immigration purpose.

Good luck.

mbastudies

Oct 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations Mediajunkie!
All the bests in Canada. And happy birthday in advance!

gemz

Oct 12, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05 Aug 09-NS
AOR Received.
21 Oct 09-NS
File Transfer...
28 Oct 09,full docs submitted- 10 Dec 09
Med's Request
06 Jan 2010
Med's Done....
12 Jan 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06 Jan 2010
VISA ISSUED...
22 Jan 2010
LANDED..........
29 Mar 2010!!!!
Hi Buhari and Tran

Thanks for the info, but may i ask u how can we obtain the letter from CHC, singapore for the police certificate ? can v just send an email (specified in the enquiry section of CHC website ) or is there any application form / fees ??

thanx

Gemz

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
If you have just submitted your application, you would not get your request for the CHC yet.

When the CHC starts requesting ALL your supporting documents, such as employers' letters, payslips, bank account statements, etc., they would request copies of your certificate of no criminal conviction (CNCC). All I did was make a photocopy the page and highlighted the text of the CHC requesting that info and they processed it for me. As far as I can tell as long as your name is on the CHC request, they will process it for you.

If you do not have anything from the CHC requesting the CNCC, the CID will not even process it for you. They will however let you make your fingerprint card. If you need to request a CNCC (or equivalent) from other countries, you can ask them to take additional fingerprint cards for you at no charge. I had to get additional fingerprint cards done for my Australia and USA criminal checks.

Being a typical kiasu Singaporean, I went last year in September to request a CNCC after I had just submitted my application. I didn't have a letter from the CHC requesting the info yet but I was going overseas and wanted to get it done while I was still in Singapore. I waited almost 1.5 hours only to be told that I needed a letter directly from the CHC.

The cost is $45 if you are going to pick it up locally and $50 if you want them to mail it overseas I believe. Remember they are only opened until 12.30pm so I suggest getting there early.

You can find more information directly from their webpage at: http://www.spf.gov.sg/epc/cert_issued.htm

Don't bother calling or e-mailing them the CNCC people. They don't pick up the phone and take about a week to give you a form letter reply to e-mails. Unless you are very patient.

gemz

Oct 12, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05 Aug 09-NS
AOR Received.
21 Oct 09-NS
File Transfer...
28 Oct 09,full docs submitted- 10 Dec 09
Med's Request
06 Jan 2010
Med's Done....
12 Jan 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06 Jan 2010
VISA ISSUED...
22 Jan 2010
LANDED..........
29 Mar 2010!!!!
Hi mediajunkie

Thanx a million for the info ... that really helped.

All the best.

Gemz

PankajK

Mar 22, 2009
Vancouver, BC CANADA
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
July 2009
AOR Received.
November 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
Passport Req..
September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
September 2012
LANDED..........
November 2012 Vancouver, BC
mediajunkie said:
If you have just submitted your application, you would not get your request for the CHC yet.

When the CHC starts requesting ALL your supporting documents, such as employers' letters, payslips, bank account statements, etc., they would request copies of your certificate of no criminal conviction (CNCC). All I did was make a photocopy the page and highlighted the text of the CHC requesting that info and they processed it for me. As far as I can tell as long as your name is on the CHC request, they will process it for you.

If you do not have anything from the CHC requesting the CNCC, the CID will not even process it for you. They will however let you make your fingerprint card. If you need to request a CNCC (or equivalent) from other countries, you can ask them to take additional fingerprint cards for you at no charge. I had to get additional fingerprint cards done for my Australia and USA criminal checks.

Being a typical kiasu Singaporean, I went last year in September to request a CNCC after I had just submitted my application. I didn't have a letter from the CHC requesting the info yet but I was going overseas and wanted to get it done while I was still in Singapore. I waited almost 1.5 hours only to be told that I needed a letter directly from the CHC.

The cost is $45 if you are going to pick it up locally and $50 if you want them to mail it overseas I believe. Remember they are only opened until 12.30pm so I suggest getting there early.

You can find more information directly from their webpage at: http://www.spf.gov.sg/epc/cert_issued.htm

Don't bother calling or e-mailing them the CNCC people. They don't pick up the phone and take about a week to give you a form letter reply to e-mails. Unless you are very patient.

Hi mediajunkie,

This is a wonderful information you have provided, though i have a question. Before that my simple introduction.

I am INDIAN Citizen (INDIAN Passport Holder) and SINGAPORE PR.

Please advise me for this what do you mean by "When the CHC starts requesting ALL your supporting documents, such as employers' letters, payslips, bank account statements, etc., they would request copies of your certificate of no criminal conviction (CNCC). "

Did you sent your Full Application to CHC SINGAPORE with only PCC from Australia and US, as you didn't have the SINGAPORE PCC/CNCC. Once you apply/send Full Application to CHC SINGAPORE they ask for the PCC/CNCC for SINGAPORE?

Is there any way I can get a letter from CHC SINGAPORE so that I apply for PCC/CNCC and send it along with the Full Application because they ask all the documents to be sent in a SINGLE PACKET.

Please advise

Regards,
Pankaj

tran

May 10, 2009
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/van-immi/

The above link is for those who intend to land in Vancouver.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
I sent in a short-form application first, and 3 months later they asked me for all the supporting documents, that was when I started getting all my criminal background checks from the various countries.

As long as you have a letter from the Canadian embassy listing all the items you need, specifically asking you for a CNCC, you should bring it to Cantoment Complex with you and they should accept it. It takes less than 2 weeks to get the CNCC and it shouldn't delay your application too much. If you plan on using the long form and sending in all your documents at once, just send whatever you have and they will send a letter requesting the information.

I actually did not send in my Australian police check certificate until they requested my medicals and RPRF it because I lived in Australia more than 10 years ago and they letter they sent me requested police checks from countries I've live in in the last 10 years.

As far as I can tell there's no time difference in approval in the short-form application and the long-form application. In fact it cuts down paperwork for them because if they deny you based on your short-form application, they don't have to deal with all that additional paperwork.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
@ Calvin

The answer is no. It's not easy to convert a Singapore's driver's license to a Canadian one.

It depends on the province. In Ontario where my family landed, they had to take the Ontario driving test all over again - including a 1 theory test, one basic driving test, and one highway driving test. You are allowed to use your Singapore license to drive around for up to 6 months, but if you intend to buy a car, you will have to get an Ontario driver's license otherwise no insurance company will insure you and most dealers won't let you drive the car off their lot without insurance.

In Ontario, you can take the theory test almost immediately which will give you a learner's permit. If you fail the test, you can take it again immediately for another $10. My mom took it 6 times before she finally passed, by that time she was so used to the questions she could answer them all haha.

You have to register to take your first driving test which could take over a month. My mom went to a driving school which helped her get a test date within a week but at a testing center that was in some remote area over 1 hour away. It's also easier to take tests in the remote area because there's less traffic and clearer roads anyway. After taking that first driving test you are allowed to drive and buy a car and insurance. You have to take the highway driving test I think within 2 or 3 years (I'm not sure) or your original license gets revoked.

For me it was easy. I had an American driver's license, and they exchanged it with a Canadian driver's license immediately with my 10+ years of driving in America recorded as well (they have access to US records). Since my entire family (dad, mom, bro, sis) were considered new drivers, I had to put my name on the car and insurance just to get the rates down. You cannot "exchange" licenses unless you have one from the U.S., Austria, Belgium, France, Great Britain, Germany, Japan, Korea, and Switzerland.

Before you leave Singapore, go to the Traffic Police to get a letter stating how many years you have been licensed and your traffic record. Even though you have to take all the tests over again, they will record the number of years of driving experience into their system. This is very important when buying insurance because the more driving experience you have, the lower your insurance rates.

I have heard that in Quebec only 1 road test is needed in addition to the theory test, but theory tests are administered in French. Check with the driving authorities in the province you plan on staying in. The Ontario website is :http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/HowToApply.aspx

All in all, if you're landing in canada and staying there, be prepared to rent a car for a month until you can get the basic road test taken.

PankajK

Mar 22, 2009
Vancouver, BC CANADA
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
July 2009
AOR Received.
November 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
Passport Req..
September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
September 2012
LANDED..........
PankajK said:
mediajunkie said:

Hi mediajunkie,

This is a wonderful information you have provided, though i have a question. Before that my simple introduction.

I am INDIAN Citizen (INDIAN Passport Holder) and SINGAPORE PR.

Please advise me for this what do you mean by "When the CHC starts requesting ALL your supporting documents, such as employers' letters, payslips, bank account statements, etc., they would request copies of your certificate of no criminal conviction (CNCC). "

Did you sent your Full Application to CHC SINGAPORE with only PCC from Australia and US, as you didn't have the SINGAPORE PCC/CNCC. Once you apply/send Full Application to CHC SINGAPORE they ask for the PCC/CNCC for SINGAPORE?

Is there any way I can get a letter from CHC SINGAPORE so that I apply for PCC/CNCC and send it along with the Full Application because they ask all the documents to be sent in a SINGLE PACKET.

Please advise

Regards,
Pankaj
Any Help on the above

PankajK

Mar 22, 2009
Vancouver, BC CANADA
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
July 2009
AOR Received.
November 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
Passport Req..
September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
September 2012
LANDED..........
mediajunkie

Sorry I missed that.

Thanks

calvin

Jul 23, 2009
Hi, Mediajunkie,

I really appreciate your help on the license query.

I actually have a US license (tested there) some 15 years ago at illinois. But that expired 5 years later (Year 2000). Could I use that expired illinois license to convert to the Ontario license? I still have a valid singapore license right now.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
When I was skimming through the Ontario webpage I think I saw something about licenses that cannot be expired for more than a year before they can be exchanged. I would think other provinces would be similar.

Might just be better off taking the test, there are a few rules that could be learnt (like you're not allowed to do U-turns on canada roads).