Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JUNE-2007
hi trans

good improvement ....please give your email id..or give your contact number i need to ask realated to my case

buhari

tran

May 10, 2009
Hi mathu,

My email is canadatran@gmail.com

I am not a consultant; I am just an ordinary applicant like you.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
GOT MY PPR!

I just got my PPR today, letter dated october 15, 2009! I'll be bringing my passport in person on Monday to get it stamped. From what I've read in the forums it takes about 3 working days. I did not expect it so fast especially with the Canadian thanksgiving last week and all hari raya (CHC isn't opened that day either) in between. They also advise not to make any travel plans until I actually get the visa.

Anyway tran, I did my medicals on September 10, 2009. They still had to wait for my Australian police clearance which they may have received around late September, so I think that you should get your PPR about 3-4 weeks after medicals.

Making plans to leave after my birthday on Nov 6, might as well collect all the ang pows from my relatives before I leave. haha.

My e-mail is mediajunkie@gmail.com, do let me know of your status. I'll probably look at the Calgary market too.

Anyway @abelkwh, my speciality is telecommunications. Assistant professors in the US make between US$35,000-US$60,000 a year base pay. The average offer I got was about US$45,000. Remember this is for 9 month appointment, not including summer. You can supplement your income by teaching summer courses for the 3 months, but at UM and MSU I had to fight hard with the graduate students for summer teaching jobs. That will provide another US$5000 a year, but summer teaching is pretty intense. A lot of professors supplement their income by doing consulting jobs and getting grants, but the chances of a fresh professor getting consulting work is pretty slim unless you have lots of industry connections. After you get tenure in 6-7 years, it gets to be about US$70,000. I would've made about twice that much if I were out in the industry after working for that long.

You can teach without a Ph.D. at community colleges. Community colleges have very minimal research requirements (maybe a conference paper or two a year at most), students tend to be more attentive and serious as many of them are older and more mature. You don't have sports departments and colleges wrangling with you (big pet peeve of mine, long story) about failing their star atheletes. You don't have to supervise graduate students, which is a big plus.

Sometimes universities will hire you for adjunct positions (i.e. non-tenure track) if you have tons of real-life work experience, a Masters degree, with a good teaching record. Private Liberal Arts colleges are also almost teaching-only, BUT they do require you to have a Ph.D. and have extremely high standards for their teachers. One liberal arts college I interviewed at had the dean sit in pop in for random inspections on the teachers. This is because their students pay $30-40,000 a year in tuition and expect a very high quality education.

It's almost impossible to find a job at a research I (like UM or MSU) or a research IIA institution (smaller universities with limited ph.d. programs) that will not ask you to do research. This is because they are funded primarily by grants. Every grant you apply the university can take 30-60% for "overhead". I got a $6 million grant from Microsoft and UM took over $3 million for overhead (electricity, photocopies, etc.). But of course Microsoft expected $6 million worth of research when I had less than $3 million. And none of the grant money supplemented my income either (I was able to charge about $2000 in travel expenses to the grant, but that was it), it all went to research equipment. I also feel that I'm older, and hence less idealistic and starting to get less creative about projects, so I'd rather just settle to just teaching. Salary isn't an issue because I'm single, as long as I have enough to pay the mortgage and feed myself.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Forgot to mention my timeline since I have all my documents in front of me:

Short form application submitted: Sep 8, 2008
Additional Materials Requested: Feb 28, 2009
Additional Materials Submitted: April 28, 2009
Right to Permanent Residence Fee + Medicals + Australian Police Check Requested: September 2, 2009
Right to Permanent Residence Fee Paid: September 8, 2009
Medicals Done: September 10, 2009
Australian Police Check Received: Approximately Setember 28, 2009 (sent directly by Australian Police to CHC)
Passport Request: October 15, 2009

So it took almost exactly 13 months from application to PPR.

Vesna

Aug 30, 2009
Dear Mediajunkie & Tran:

Thank you very much for your posting informaition about you. Can you please let me know from which country you applied for the PR? I am from Cambodia. I have done medical check since 17 July, 2009. And 4 August ,2009 I was requested to submit the Canadian Police Certificate from for the during that I was studying there. The certificate was sent to the visa office on 17 Sep, 2009. Until now I did not get any news from the visa office but when check my e-status,it says the "Medical Result was Received". Do you have any idea about my application process? When can I get the request for passport to stamp the visa?

I have check in other forum they said that the problem that can delay the application process are the Background Check and Securities Check. Do you have any idea about this?

Thanks in advance for your input/idea?

All the best,

Vesna

tran

May 10, 2009
Hi Vesna,

I'm a Singaporean, applying from HCMC, Vietnam, through CHC S'pore.

It looks like your Canadian Clearance Certificate took only about one month
(not 4 months as mentioned on RCMP,Ottawa, website). I submitted my
Canadian Clearance Certificate on 5th Oct. Will I get my certificate in Nov.?
How do you know your certificate was sent to the visa office? Was it stated
on your e-status?

My medicals was done on 13th Oct. I believe you will get your PPR way ahead of mine. I think most applicants are in the dark about what is actually happening
behind the scene in the CIC's PR-processing back office.

tran

May 10, 2009
Hi Mediajunkie,

Thanks for your lengthy description about the life in an academia.

Best of luck to your future endeavours in Canada.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Hi Mediajunkie

really appreciate your lengthy insight into the academic life and career prospects. From what i hear, seems like its tough in the communications dept in universities.

How about getting PHDs from australia and then finding jobs in Canada or US, do u think that could be a hinderance or a minus by not having a canadian credential?

My area of expertise is finance (b school) and i might just consider teaching in community colleges or smaller colleges cause i am not a great fan of academic research all the time.

My email is abelkwh@gmail.com and might write to u and tran sometime later.

Thanks for the insight again, mediajunkie.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
It depends on what type of Ph.D.

A student with 1st of 2nd upper honours degree from Australia can go straight into a 3-year Ph.D. program. A lot of American universities do not recognise Australian Ph.D.s because they bypassed the Masters degree. It was one reason I chose not to continue my graduate studies in Australia after getting my honours was that a lot of US universities do not recognize fresh Australian Ph.D.s. and won't hire you until you have established a huge publication repetoire. That just means Americans are really rigid and stupid, not that Australian Ph.D.s are easy to obtain. There is almost no coursework for Australian Ph.D.s whereas I had to go through 2 years of coursework in the US. You have to do everything independently in Australia, which means 3 year straight of research, reading, experiments, writing, rewriting with only your advisor to help you out. I was 20 when I got done with my honours and didn't feel that I was ready back then to be on my own academically.

Canada may be more accepting of Australian degrees because they're both commonwealth countries. When I was studying in Australia I ran into many Canadian students who were in Australia for postgrad diplomas and graduate degrees.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Hi Mediajunkie

Thanks for the insight that US unis do not really recognise the Aussie PHDs (as they are rigid and silly!). As u said, there are 2 yrs of coursework to be done in US unis, that is one reason why i do not really want to waste the 2 yrs cause i have already done 2 masters in my area of expertise, an MBA and a MS Finance, so i would rather go direct into the PHD research program.

As long as canadian unis do recognise and since its a commonweath country as well, then i shall go ahead and consider working it in an Aussie uni cause i have already studied in US and Canada before, so i just want to try a different country with a different experience and move to Canada once i am done.

Thanks for your insights again, really helped in shaping my thoughts about where to work the PHD.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
I have a friend who's at the Business school at the University of Western Ontario, which I've heard has the best business program in Canada. She tells me that most of the professors do not have Ph.D.s, some don't even have Masters degrees, but they have tons of real-life experience (15-20 years) and many of them have achieved many things in the industry, like overhauling the XXX program of XXX company, doubling the profits in one year, or contributed to policy reform just to give some examples. It definitely makes sense, if I were a business student I'd wouldn't want to take classes from someone who has spent 10 years in school and never been out in the business world before, many things cannot be learnt form books. They also want industry names because internships are very important for business students, and often the contacts from professors would lead to industry attachments.

Anyway, I dropped off my passport at the CHC today (went yesterday but it was closed for Deepavali), they said it'll take 2 weeks and they will call once it's ready. My uncle dropped it off too for his family at the same time. I guess I may have to make my travel plans to be at least one month from today.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
I also forgot to mention that my aunt (whom I went to with CHC today) asked them to expedite the passport return, and they told her that the only way that they would do it is if she produced an air ticket. So if anyone needs their passport fast i guess buy a refundable ticket and show it to them and get a refund after.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Hi Mediajunkie

Thanks for the insight! sounds like i do not really need to work on a PHD cause i do have more than 10 yrs of industry experience in the investment banking side and have done some substantial work in my area. However, i was thinking perhaps it helps to just up my credientials and then teach at a uni in a business school or a college in finance courses where not much research needs to be done.

Anyhow, really congrads on the part where yr wait is ending soon. Really would be glad to hear u land in calgary!

gemz

Oct 12, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05 Aug 09-NS
AOR Received.
21 Oct 09-NS
File Transfer...
28 Oct 09,full docs submitted- 10 Dec 09
Med's Request
06 Jan 2010
Med's Done....
12 Jan 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06 Jan 2010
VISA ISSUED...
22 Jan 2010
LANDED..........
29 Mar 2010!!!!
Hi

Myself is an applicant for canada PR under FSW, and I am required to submit the police clearance certificate. kindly advice me how to go about it, from the website i understood that a letter from the canadian high commission in singapore is to be presented so as to get the certificate. how can i get this letter from the CHC, singapore ?? is there any application form or should i just approach them directly ?

Thanx

mathu

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
LIONCITY
Category........
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JUNE-2007
hi

police celarence certificate u can get it from singapore police head quarter in china town area.u must go to the concern dept and submit the letter from CHC singapore they will tell you what must do...?it will take a week to get the certificate...

please tell me whats is your application year?

buhari