+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Singaporean applicants under FSW

tran

May 10, 2009
Hi abelkwh,

My email is canadatran@gmail.com

-20 to -30 during winter is really cold. The lowest I have experienced was
-16 in Vancouver..stayed indoor, on the heater to the maximum, ordered
2 for 1 price pizza and watched cable tv.

tran

May 10, 2009
Hi mathu,

Part II for Writing was about computer. And you are in computer biz
- should be a breeze for you.

mathu

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
LIONCITY
Category........
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JUNE-2007
Hi trans...

Listening not provided individual headset (centralised speaker) , section 2 bit nervouse but over all OK.
writing part both should be ok. second part its realted to computer Era.

i hope must be good let see the results, 30th wednesday must go for speaking session 11.30am

overall ok if not must appear again.

buhari

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Hi Tran, glad to hear of the progress in your application.

It's been 3 weeks since my medicals and the Canadian High Commission should have received the records from my Australian police check by now. The doctor I went to said if there's no response within 2-3 weeks, the medicals should've gone through okay. So I'm hoping to get my PR approved soon and hopefully get to Toronto before the Singapore school holidays start since there doesn't seem to be any reasonably priced plane ticket to Toronto in December.

I may just look for a job in Calgary too because there seems to be more tech jobs there, but the plan is to stay with my parents in Toronto for a year or two and look at Calgary when I'm more settled.

My uncle did his medicals 1 month ago and he just got the request to send in his Right to Permanent Residence fee and 5 photographs for his family. He's probably thinking of settling in Vancouver since his daughter is currently studying in UBC and his wife is from Hong Kong so she will fit in better there.

anyway keep me updated on your progress, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll ask me to get my passport stamped soon, within the next month, if my uncle's status is any indication.

tran

May 10, 2009
mediajunkie said:
Hi Tran, glad to hear of the progress in your application.

It's been 3 weeks since my medicals and the Canadian High Commission should have received the records from my Australian police check by now. The doctor I went to said if there's no response within 2-3 weeks, the medicals should've gone through okay. So I'm hoping to get my PR approved soon and hopefully get to Toronto before the Singapore school holidays start since there doesn't seem to be any reasonably priced plane ticket to Toronto in December.

I may just look for a job in Calgary too because there seems to be more tech jobs there, but the plan is to stay with my parents in Toronto for a year or two and look at Calgary when I'm more settled.

My uncle did his medicals 1 month ago and he just got the request to send in his Right to Permanent Residence fee and 5 photographs for his family. He's probably thinking of settling in Vancouver since his daughter is currently studying in UBC and his wife is from Hong Kong so she will fit in better there.

anyway keep me updated on your progress, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll ask me to get my passport stamped soon, within the next month, if my uncle's status is any indication.
"The doctor I went to said if there's no response within 2-3 weeks, the medicals should've gone through okay. " - no news is good news.

Vancouver is the city if you have the money; a bit wet though. I read that a real estate agent in Canada earns 7% for the 1st C$100,000, and 2-5% for the next incremental C$100,000. In comparison with S'pore agent 1%, the commission
looks very attractive indeed.

It looks like your case will be finalised soon. Welcome to the Land of Plenty.....
or the Country with Plenty of Land.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
tran said:
Vancouver is the city if you have the money; a bit wet though. I read that a real estate agent in Canada earns 7% for the 1st C$100,000, and 2-5% for the next incremental C$100,000. In comparison with S'pore agent 1%, the commission
looks very attractive indeed.

It looks like your case will be finalised soon. Welcome to the Land of Plenty.....
or the Country with Plenty of Land.
I don't really like Vancouver too much, mainly because it feels a lot like Asia. I don't remember how to speak or write Chinese anymore so I don't know how well I'd get along there. One of the reasons I wanted to leave Singapore is that I felt that it's too materialistic, and unfortunately it's a characteristic of us Asians in general.

You are right about the commissions of real estate agents. However you have to think that properties in Singapore sell in the millions, as opposed to a couple hundred thousand in Canada. Also property prices don't seem to rise high or fast so you'll be stuck with a property for a while.

Anyway what are your thoughts on giving up Singapore citizenship? I have a whopping $3000 in my CPF because I have been living and working overseas since college so withdrawing it isn't a problem for me at all. Canada allows dual citizenship, but in Singapore, whenever you apply for a new I/C or Passport, they will make you declare that you have not accepted citizenship in another country.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Hi Mediajunkie

Why do u want to give up SG citizenship? its what u deserved if u are a male who has served the army in SG and frankly, from my point of view, its yr birth right and that so, u should keep yr citizenship even if u get a canadian citizenship. I have a Singapore friend who practically spent most of his life in Boston and never returned to SG but still kept his SG citizenship even with his US citizenship now, as he had served his nation! I dont know how he does it but he indeed has 2 passports on hand!

So i dont see a reason, u should give up yrs!

Besides, which US uni did u attend for your PHD and which uni did u teach over there? I am thinking of doing a PHD, so perhaps can get some advice from u as well, if u dont mind.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Well I was hoping at some point to go back to the States again, after getting Canadian citizenship, and hopefully getting dual citizenship with the US and Canada. I'll probably hold on to the Singapore one as long as I am allowed to because getting US citizenship is a huge process in itself.

I'm female, so didn't serve NS, so I didn't have to "work" for my passport. From what I know, you won't be able to renew your Singapore passport anymore if you have declared you have accepted citizenship in another. Same thing with I/C although I just had my IC re-registered when I turned 30 and as far as I know they won't ask you to re-register again unless you lose your I/C.

I have a friend who's a U.S. citizen and basically he just travels on his U.S. passport but maintains all his Singapore identification.

I got my Ph.D. from Michigan State University and taught there and at the University of Michigan. I don't really feel like being a college professor anymore though. "Publish or perish" is really stressful, especially in my field and the income sucks considering all the stress involved. I will try looking for work at community colleges where there is more emphasis on teaching rather than research. Or maybe better yet, see if there are any online degrees I could teach in. Or something in a totally unrelated field. Either way I'm looking for a career change to something simpler with more leisure time.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Hi Mediajunkie

Whats yr area of speciality? why do u say Income sucks? i thought PHDs or professors make pretty good income! Of course it comes together with the stress of publishing in the academic field, especially if u work in "bigger" name unis such as UM and MSU.

I am considering a PHD, so if i just want to teach, does it really matter which uni i go to for a PHD? does country matter as well? Cause i am thinking of doing a PHD in Australia and then perhaps lecture in Canada or US. Do u think that will pose a problem with an aussie degree in North america?

Thanks

tran

May 10, 2009
In my opinion, the main purpose of renouncing your S'pore citizenship is to get hold of your CPF
money; i.e. if the amount is in hundreds of thousand S$. For S$3,000, I don't think it's worthwhile
to renounce. Good luck.

tran

May 10, 2009
I just got my fingerprints for my Canadian Police Clearance Certificate done at
the Cantonment Police Complex, New Bridge Road, CNCC section, 2nd floor, D Block. It took less than 15 mins and it's free.

mathu

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
LIONCITY
Category........
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JUNE-2007
hi trans

my ielts results as follows

L-6
W-5
R-5.5
S-6
TOTAL-5.5 BAND

NEED TO improve ....?i already have points edn,exp,age.adop,(my brother in toronto),my wife have bach. degree..?need to improve the results

tran

May 10, 2009
mathu,

IELTS 7+61=68. If you're definite about your 61 points, you can say
hello to your brother in Toronto soon. Yours is a close call - too close
for comfort.

mathu

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
LIONCITY
Category........
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JUNE-2007
hi trans...

My points as follows
Education _master degree
experience - more than 10years
age -40
Wife bachelor degree

then is it ok to go through without brother adoption marks

buhari

tran

May 10, 2009
Just completed my medical checkup. Next PPR? 3 months later?

What's next? Apply job online? Buy winter clothing? Look for house/land
to purchase in Calgary?