+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2012: FSW Arranged Employment applicants join here

joshu90

Star Member
Dec 21, 2013
Doni said:
So it means that until we get the SIN, officially we are not authorized to work in Canada?

Ok, but this doesn't mean that we have to show those funds!!!
yeah....no need of pof i thnk......

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Doni said:
This is totally crazy thing. What happens if the SIN starts with a 9?
you won't get a SIN number until you are a PR, citizen or have a work permit (starts with 9).

Service Canada will only issue you a SIN with a 9 if you have a work permit. They will issue it to you for the duration of your work permit. You go to work for any employer with a 9 number sin, they are supposed to ask for your permit. After work permit expires, you get a new work permit, you go to Service Canada, they will give you the same SIN # and just extend the validity.

Now after that you got your COPR and PR VISA. Until you officially land as PR, Service Canada will not update your SIN to start with a different #.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Insurance_Number

If you are coming to Canada first time as a PR, then you will straight get the normal SIN citizens and PR's get.

suchnaju

Star Member
Dec 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 1, 2012
AOR Received.
Dec 27, 2012
Med's Request
Nov 28, 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 12, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Feb 12, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 21, 2014
LANDED..........
Mar 11, 2014
Doni said:
In my opinion (maybe I am wrong) the applicant that gets the PR Visa, automatically is authorized to work in Canada, right?
No ...

If you currently don't have a vaild work permit, in order to be authorized to work in Canada, you need to officially land as a PR first.

In order to land as a PR, you need show proof of funds at a border.

Personally I won't take the risk that IO at the POE ask for POF and I can not provide it. IO may deny my entry as a PR.

Doni

Star Member
May 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna Office
NOC Code......
2264 Construction Inspector
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2012
AOR Received.
05-12-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Medical results have been received 17.10.2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Desperately Waiting...
dbss said:
you won't get a SIN number until you are a PR, citizen or have a work permit (starts with 9).

Service Canada will only issue you a SIN with a 9 if you have a work permit. They will issue it to you for the duration of your work permit. You go to work for any employer with a 9 number sin, they are supposed to ask for your permit. After work permit expires, you get a new work permit, you go to Service Canada, they will give you the same SIN # and just extend the validity.

Now after that you got your COPR and PR VISA. Until you officially land as PR, Service Canada will not update your SIN to start with a different #.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Insurance_Number

If you are coming to Canada first time as a PR, then you will straight get the normal SIN citizens and PR's get.
Well, according to the website that you provided: "Social Insurance Numbers that begin with the number "9" are issued to temporary residents who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents (e.g., foreign students, individuals on work visas). These individuals must have an employment authorization in order to work in Canada. SINs beginning with a "9" are different from SINs assigned to citizens and permanent residents, because they have an expiry date (which usually coincides with the expiration of the holder's work authorization). These SINs are invalid unless there is an expiry date listed on the card and the date has not passed.", which means (as I understood), the SINs starting with "9" are for temporary residents, which means that those who get the PR, are not "temporary residents"! Am I right?

Doni

Star Member
May 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna Office
NOC Code......
2264 Construction Inspector
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2012
AOR Received.
05-12-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Medical results have been received 17.10.2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Desperately Waiting...
suchnaju said:
No ...

If you currently don't have a vaild work permit, in order to be authorized to work in Canada, you need to officially land as a PR first.

In order to land as a PR, you need show proof of funds at a border.

Personally I won't take the risk that IO at the POE ask for POF and I can not provide it. IO may deny my entry as a PR.
We would have a clear case, if someone that already has landed give us an explanation about this issue...

joshu90

Star Member
Dec 21, 2013
Doni said:
We would have a clear case, if someone that already has landed give us an explanation about this issue...
yes that wud b a right thing if smbdy who hav gon thru d process could help us here......

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Doni said:
Well, according to the website that you provided: "Social Insurance Numbers that begin with the number "9" are issued to temporary residents who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents (e.g., foreign students, individuals on work visas). These individuals must have an employment authorization in order to work in Canada. SINs beginning with a "9" are different from SINs assigned to citizens and permanent residents, because they have an expiry date (which usually coincides with the expiration of the holder's work authorization). These SINs are invalid unless there is an expiry date listed on the card and the date has not passed.", which means (as I understood), the SINs starting with "9" are for temporary residents, which means that those who get the PR, are not "temporary residents"! Am I right?
the point suchnaju and I am trying to make here is that although you get your PR visa and COPR from the visa office, you are still not a PR until you land at the border or a CIC office.

In other words, even if you get a PR visa from Visa office until you land they can cancel the visa or deny you entry as a permanent resident for whatever reason..

that's why until you land you won't get a permanent sin.

temporary resident of Canada is somebody who has been living in Canada and not entering Canada for the first time.

hope this helps.

amdee

Star Member
Feb 1, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
joshu90 said:
yes that wud b a right thing if smbdy who hav gon thru d process could help us here......
If this helps:

When I first came to Canada, on temporary visa with a job offer, I was asked at the POE for Financial Statement. I was carrying 3 months bank statement with me so it was a non-issue.
Don't know what the rules are, but for that IO, it didn't matter that he had my Offer Letter with salary that he already reviewed. And I didn't have to argue to make my case, and things were simple. On my return after next vacation, I wasn't asked for anything (though I was still prepared :))!

It's better to have the document if you can, even if you think its just good to have and not required. Else be prepared to convince an IO with arguments and rules if you run into one who demands that document (not my choice :)!).

Amdee.

toor13

Aug 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2nd march 2015
AOR Received.
14 April 2015
File Transfer...
30 April 2015
Passport Req..
14 Feb 2016
VISA ISSUED...
23 Feb 2016
Hi Sreenath,
Any further news on PPR?

jaz0020

Star Member
Oct 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ndvo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2016
AOR Received.
16-06-2016
File Transfer...
08-08-2016
Med's Done....
25-03-2016
toor13 said:
Hi Sreenath,
Any further news on PPR?
i can say they are working and my best guess is immigration are working hard to clear up the logs . I just received a request for RCMP from the immigration . any idea how fast can i do this in edmonton.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
jaz0020 said:
i can say they are working and my best guess is immigration are working hard to clear up the logs . I just received a request for RCMP from the immigration . any idea how fast can i do this in edmonton.
hmm..lets hope for the best.

You can do your tests at Edmonton police. probably give them a call first and then see else do at Commissionaire. Same price around $50.

You can either get it delivered to your home (takes two weeks and then you send it to Ottawa) or straight to your case agent (faster but no tracking for you to know if it is completed) . Following are the details:

#108, 14315-118 Avenue Nexus Business Park
The Police Information Check Section is located on the west side of 142 Street but can be accessed either from 142 Street or 118 Avenue. There is ample free parking and the location is serviced by Edmonton Transit.

Police Information Check Hours of Operation
Monday to Thursday – 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M
Friday – 8:00 A.M. to 12 noon (Please note that Police Information Check Section closes at 12 noon on all Fridays)
CLOSED on all weekends and statutory holidays
Fingerprinting Hours of Operation
Monday to Thursday – 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Friday – 8:00 A.M. to 12:00 noon (Please note that Police Information Check Section closes at 12 noon on all Fridays)

Identification Required

Two (2) pieces of current government issued identification is required to obtain a Police Information Check. Please be advised that one of these pieces must be photo identification. The following forms of identification will be accepted:

ALBERTA MOTOR REGISTRIES ID (Driver's Licenses or Identification Card)
CNIB ID CARD
BIRTH CERTIFICATE
INDIAN STATUS CARD/METIS STATUS CARD
PASSPORT
IMMIGRATION PAPERS
CITIZENSHIP CARD
PERMANENT RESIDENCE CARD
FIREARMS ACQUISITION CARD
NATIONAL DEFENSE CARD
WIN CARD
AISH
CANADIAN BLOOD SERVICES
PROVINCIAL HEALTH CARE CARD with full name (not initials)
SOCIAL INSURANCE NUMBER (SIN) card
Police Information Check Section reserves the right to accept or refuse any other forms of identification.

Expired or photocopies of identification cannot be accepted.

PLEASE NOTE : If acceptable identification is not provided applicants will be fingerprinted to verify identification.

jaz0020

Star Member
Oct 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ndvo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2016
AOR Received.
16-06-2016
File Transfer...
08-08-2016
Med's Done....
25-03-2016
dbss said:
hmm..lets hope for the best.

You can do your tests at Edmonton police. Following are the details:

#108, 14315-118 Avenue Nexus Business Park
The Police Information Check Section is located on the west side of 142 Street but can be accessed either from 142 Street or 118 Avenue. There is ample free parking and the location is serviced by Edmonton Transit.

Police Information Check Hours of Operation
Monday to Thursday – 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M
Friday – 8:00 A.M. to 12 noon (Please note that Police Information Check Section closes at 12 noon on all Fridays)
Fingerprinting Hours of Operation
Monday to Thursday – 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Friday – 8:00 A.M. to 12:00 noon (Please note that Police Information Check Section closes at 12 noon on all Fridays)

Identification Required

Two (2) pieces of current government issued identification is required to obtain a Police Information Check. Please be advised that one of these pieces must be photo identification. The following forms of identification will be accepted:

ALBERTA MOTOR REGISTRIES ID (Driver's Licenses or Identification Card)
CNIB ID CARD
BIRTH CERTIFICATE
INDIAN STATUS CARD/METIS STATUS CARD
PASSPORT
IMMIGRATION PAPERS
CITIZENSHIP CARD
PERMANENT RESIDENCE CARD
FIREARMS ACQUISITION CARD
NATIONAL DEFENSE CARD
WIN CARD
AISH
CANADIAN BLOOD SERVICES
PROVINCIAL HEALTH CARE CARD with full name (not initials)
SOCIAL INSURANCE NUMBER (SIN) card
Police Information Check Section reserves the right to accept or refuse any other forms of identification.

Expired or photocopies of identification cannot be accepted.

PLEASE NOTE : If acceptable identification is not provided applicants will be fingerprinted to verify identification.
thanks for the infor dbss . do you know if i can do the same with the RCMP-Accredited Fingerprinting Companies

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
amdee said:
If this helps:

When I first came to Canada, on temporary visa with a job offer, I was asked at the POE for Financial Statement. I was carrying 3 months bank statement with me so it was a non-issue.
Don't know what the rules are, but for that IO, it didn't matter that he had my Offer Letter with salary that he already reviewed. And I didn't have to argue to make my case, and things were simple. On my return after next vacation, I wasn't asked for anything (though I was still prepared :))!

It's better to have the document if you can, even if you think its just good to have and not required. Else be prepared to convince an IO with arguments and rules if you run into one who demands that document (not my choice :)!).

Amdee.
I agree.

I would try my best to get POF for POE if I were you...when you are coming from a different country for the first time even with a job to have in the country, you will not get paid until two weeks after you start your job. The border officer needs to know if you can sustain yourself for the beginning two weeks or even more depending....

Border officers may not ask you for POF but that does not mean they cannot ask.