Seeking refugee status

Mchd12

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Barquisimeto, Venezuela
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello dear people,

I am planning to ask for refugee status in Canada but I know virtually nothing about it.

I live in Venezuela. Fear of being murdered or kidnapped, Corruption, crime rates, political persecution and food scarcity has me on my nerves all the time.

Do I qualify as a refugee? what are the steps I must take in order to apply for this? please bare in mind I know nothing about this, I would appreciate a really-detailed step-by-step description.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In order to have a successful refugee claim, it's not enough to prove that you have a fear that something is going to happen. You have to demonstrate that you yourself have somehow been impacted by the situation in your country and that your specific life is in danger. You will be expected to support your claims through proof like police reports, hospitalization reports, etc.

To initiate a refugee claim, you would have to obtain a TRV (tourist visa) to Canada and then make a refugee claim when you arrive here.

Mchd12

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Barquisimeto, Venezuela
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
In order to have a successful refugee claim, it's not enough to prove that you have a fear that something is going to happen. You have to demonstrate that you yourself have somehow been impacted by the situation in your country and that your specific life is in danger. You will be expected to support your claims through proof like police reports, hospitalization reports, etc.

To initiate a refugee claim, you would have to obtain a TRV (tourist visa) to Canada and then make a refugee claim when you arrive here.
I have police reports as well as some pics that prove that I have been politically harrased. I don´t know if I need to translate them.

Mchd12

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Barquisimeto, Venezuela
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
darkpro said:
legal aid translate documents
I can't really afford leagal aid. I'm on my own here.

What are my optins here? How does the process start? do I tell the immigration officer about my intention? after or before he seals my passport? Soooo many questions....

Thanks for the help

darkpro

Sep 26, 2014
i think legal aid will be free for you ... i think if you are really in trouble then tell themm asap . dont do it late ,

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
9-2016 ARC Approved.: 9-2016 CSQ Issued.....: 2-2017 Re-Med's Request...: 4-2017 Re-Med's Done : 4-2017
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
Mchd12 said:
I can't really afford leagal aid. I'm on my own here.

What are my optins here? How does the process start? do I tell the immigration officer about my intention? after or before he seals my passport? Soooo many questions....

Thanks for the help
Just cross the border and settle down for few days and then go to the CIC office in your area and apply for refugee.
Bring with you a passport and any other ID you have, no need to translate any of them.
They will take your finger prints and prceed with the paper works and give you some papers ti sign.
They will give you a form to fill up and submit it to the Immigration and refugee board.
Once you are done ans they give you the refugee claiment paper document, you can use to apply for a work permit and once you receive it, you can apply for a social insurance number and the nearest service Canada.

Throughout all these steps you dont really need a lawyer at all, even if it's for free, dont take him. Do it yourself if you can communicate in English.

They will set a hearing date for you, it can be in months for years, there's so specific period. At the hearing, i adive you to represent yourself, this will give you much more credit that you are credible and that you dont need a lawyer to tell your story.

Translate every paper or police report that might help your case, even pictures of assault ( bruises) can be submitted as proof to help your case.

This is just my opinion and dont be influenced by it for whatever you decide to do. Do what you see is best for you and good luck.

Mchd12

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Barquisimeto, Venezuela
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Taxed said:
Just cross the border and settle down for few days and then go to the CIC office in your area and apply for refugee.
Bring with you a passport and any other ID you have, no need to translate any of them.
They will take your finger prints and prceed with the paper works and give you some papers ti sign.
They will give you a form to fill up and submit it to the Immigration and refugee board.
Once you are done ans they give you the refugee claiment paper document, you can use to apply for a work permit and once you receive it, you can apply for a social insurance number and the nearest service Canada.

Throughout all these steps you dont really need a lawyer at all, even if it's for free, dont take him. Do it yourself if you can communicate in English.

They will set a hearing date for you, it can be in months for years, there's so specific period. At the hearing, i adive you to represent yourself, this will give you much more credit that you are credible and that you dont need a lawyer to tell your story.

Translate every paper or police report that might help your case, even pictures of assault ( bruises) can be submitted as proof to help your case.

This is just my opinion and dont be influenced by it for whatever you decide to do. Do what you see is best for you and good luck.
wow very informative. Thanks

Mchd12

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Barquisimeto, Venezuela
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Taxed said:

quick questions:

a. Do they give you the refugee claiment paper document on the same day you apply for refugee status?
b. how long does it take to get a work permit?
c. How long does it take to get the Social Insurnce number?
d. Of I decide to do it at a port of entry, do I talk to the immigration officer after they seal my passport? wouldn't I risk to get deported back to my country?

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
9-2016 ARC Approved.: 9-2016 CSQ Issued.....: 2-2017 Re-Med's Request...: 4-2017 Re-Med's Done : 4-2017
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
a. Yes it's handed to you same day but you still have to fill up some forms and take it back to CIC. And then when you take the first form back, they will give you another form to submit it to the IRB in 20 days, in this form you will have to write everything about your story, dont miss out any informationa at all.
b. Up to three months and dont let anyone fool you and tell you to pays th fees for work permit, it's processed for free for refugee claimants.
c. You will receive th SIN same day ( the number ) and the card in up to 14 business days.
d. You can certainly do it at the POE ans they will not deport you, they will proceed just the same so dont be scared, and yes they will seize your passport.

Mchd12

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Barquisimeto, Venezuela
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Taxed said:
a. Yes it's handed to you same day but you still have to fill up some forms and take it back to CIC. And then when you take the first form back, they will give you another form to submit it to the IRB in 20 days, in this form you will have to write everything about your story, dont miss out any informationa at all.
b. Up to three months and dont let anyone fool you and tell you to pays th fees for work permit, it's processed for free for refugee claimants.
c. You will receive th SIN same day ( the number ) and the card in up to 14 business days.
d. You can certainly do it at the POE ans they will not deport you, they will proceed just the same so dont be scared, and yes they will seize your passport.
I really want to thank you wholeheartedly. I appreciate all this information. This is EXTREMELY kind of you.

another round of questions:

a. How long is the process from start to finish?
b. Is there anything I can do to make a living while I receive my work permit?
c. Why do they take the passport away?

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
a. The process may take few months to few years, it's hard to tell.
b. You cannot work without a work permit and I'm not sure if you can get social aid for the first 3 months but i don't recommend it. Try to bring enough money to support yourself for a while or find a friend to live with for a while as well, this will reduce your spendings.
c. As a refugee claimant, you are not allowed to hold a passport for the country you claim to be persecuted in, and even if you are approved, you still cannot hold or travel to your home country as a permanent resident or it will be revoked. Also they seize it so you don't leave the country while you're awaiting your hearing.

PS. With the refugee document ID you can get a driving license.

Mchd12

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Barquisimeto, Venezuela
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Taxed said:
a. The process may take few months to few years, it's hard to tell.
b. You cannot work without a work permit and I'm not sure if you can get social aid for the first 3 months but i don't recommend it. Try to bring enough money to support yourself for a while or find a friend to live with for a while as well, this will reduce your spendings.
c. As a refugee claimant, you are not allowed to hold a passport for the country you claim to be persecuted in, and even if you are approved, you still cannot hold or travel to your home country as a permanent resident or it will be revoked. Also they seize it so you don't leave the country while you're awaiting your hearing.

PS. With the refugee document ID you can get a driving license.
thanks! any other advice you might share with me my friend me and my family appreciate this.

You are a very kind person

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
What area are you planning to settle in? I have some tips for Montreal if you are going there.