+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RESIDENCY QUESTIONAIRE

pzannella

Feb 25, 2014
:mad:
I'm a Canadian Citizen and my wife who is a permanent resident (currently a Kazakhstan citizen) applied in 2012 from Ottawa for citizenship having met the required/mandatory inside Canada days at 1096 days.

All was going well with her application leading up to January 5th 2014 when she was requested to take her citizenship exam to which she passed 20/20. Then just when we both thought that she was going to be requested to attend the Oath ceremony, a letter on January 17th arrived called the now famous CIT 0171 (092012) E "Residency Questionnaire".

So now this is why we believe she got the RQ. My wife accompanied me in 2010 TO SAUDI ARABIA because I had a job offer and I accepted. She achieved THE REQUIRED 1096 days in Canada ONLY IN 2012 which is also within the required citizenship application time frame but travelled in and out of Canada to Saudi Arabia with me. We have never exceeded pass 5 months in Saudi Arabia OR OUT OF CANADA for her residency purposes so we always made sure to travel back to Canada many times throughout a given year. She has always reported her comings and goings from Saudi Arabia truthfully and accurately for her PR card renewal APPLICATION (which was just recently renewed AND HAS 4 YEARS UNTIL RENEWAL) and also her citizenship application.

Is it a problem for citizenship applicants that even if they are married to a Canadian by birth who is working in Saudi Arabia? We still have our home in Canada with a mortgage and still have bank accounts,insurance...etc all to be proved to CIC with the SOON TO SUBMIT RQ form.

Therefore from your experience and point of view, is there a great chance that all this time and effort with endless documentation being submitted to CIC for citizenship was/is all in vain and even worst may have her PR status further questioned/revoked just because she as my wife lived with me in Saudi Arabia while I worked and still am working?

PS...Get this, a friend of my wife's from Vancouver who also applied for citizenship 6 months after my wife did who is also in Saudi Arabia with her husband who works here. She just last week was asked to attend the citizenship oath ceremony and is currently back in Canada to attend, so just image how devastated and confused we were with her receiving an RQ instead!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There is no chance her PR status will be revoked if she meets the PR residency requirement. FYI - since you are a Canadian citizen, the time she spends outside of Canada living with you counts towards her PR residency requirement (but not towards citizenship).

If she had 1095 physical residency days within the previous 4 years when she applied for citizenship, then she should have nothing to worry about from a citizenship perspective. Just complete the RQ and submit it as soon as you can. Unfortunately RQs aren't unusual. It doesn't mean that her citizenship application is going to be refused - it just means that CIC wants to confirm that she does in fact meet the 3 years out of 4 years residency requirement. It's quite possible that her frequent travel may have triggered the RQ.

Again, just complete the RQ as soon as you can and submit it.

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
pzannella said:
:mad:
I'm a Canadian Citizen and my wife who is a permanent resident (currently a Kazakhstan citizen) applied in 2012 from Ottawa for citizenship having met the required/mandatory inside Canada days at 1096 days.

All was going well with her application leading up to January 5th 2014 when she was requested to take her citizenship exam to which she passed 20/20. Then just when we both thought that she was going to be requested to attend the Oath ceremony, a letter on January 17th arrived called the now famous CIT 0171 (092012) E "Residency Questionnaire".

So now this is why we believe she got the RQ. My wife accompanied me in 2010 TO SAUDI ARABIA because I had a job offer and I accepted. She achieved THE REQUIRED 1096 days in Canada ONLY IN 2012 which is also within the required citizenship application time frame but travelled in and out of Canada to Saudi Arabia with me. We have never exceeded pass 5 months in Saudi Arabia OR OUT OF CANADA for her residency purposes so we always made sure to travel back to Canada many times throughout a given year. She has always reported her comings and goings from Saudi Arabia truthfully and accurately for her PR card renewal APPLICATION (which was just recently renewed AND HAS 4 YEARS UNTIL RENEWAL) and also her citizenship application.

Is it a problem for citizenship applicants that even if they are married to a Canadian by birth who is working in Saudi Arabia? We still have our home in Canada with a mortgage and still have bank accounts,insurance...etc all to be proved to CIC with the SOON TO SUBMIT RQ form.

Therefore from your experience and point of view, is there a great chance that all this time and effort with endless documentation being submitted to CIC for citizenship was/is all in vain and even worst may have her PR status further questioned/revoked just because she as my wife lived with me in Saudi Arabia while I worked and still am working?

PS...Get this, a friend of my wife's from Vancouver who also applied for citizenship 6 months after my wife did who is also in Saudi Arabia with her husband who works here. She just last week was asked to attend the citizenship oath ceremony and is currently back in Canada to attend, so just image how devastated and confused we were with her receiving an RQ instead!
Hi pzannella,

Sorry about your wife's RQ. I know it is frustrating to get RQ and it takes long time to process (though new applicant's (from 2013) RQs are getting processed much faster, so you should not worry yet).

Did you friend's wife moved to Saudi Arabia after applying or before applying for citizenship? it sounds like your wife left Canada before applying for citizenship, that could be one of the reasons she got RQ. You see, it is not recommended to have too much absences during the three years out of 4 as it often triggers questions from CIC. In fact I am not surprised your wife got RQ, considering her frequent travel abroad, not that I wish for anyone to get it but these years many applicants do get RQ often.

It is ok to travel after applying for citizenship or join the spouse (if he/she works abroad, as in my case) but I would personally not recommend to be abroad too much during the 3 years prior to applying for citizenship. Although it does not say anywhere that you are allowed to leave after applying but we had to (and I informed CIC about me moving temporary). I moved after three months of applying for citizenship.

Now, look at the bright side, your wife is very lucky to get her PR renewed so quickly, as many applicants are not that lucky. It takes for some more then 3 months get the PR renewed.

Many Canadian (born) spouses who live and reside in Canada permanently also get RQ! it does not matter whether you are married to Canadian or even have kids together, if they find something suspicious they will RQ anyone.

Oh, and I do not think your wife's PR will be revoked as long as she provides true information she is safe. RQ is part of the citizenship application nowadays.

Good luck to your wife and I suggest you submit your RQ in the required timeline with all the supporting documents requested (which should be a lot to submit).

canadp

Feb 25, 2009
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2009
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2010
LANDED..........
29-07-2010
First thing, it does not matter if you are Citizen and if it adds any value to your wife's citizenship application. Her application considered as individual entity and hence whatever travel she made outside Canada for whatsoever reason can impact her application as well.

Second, as every individual case is different even though 2 cases have same scenario as you mentioned about your friend's wife, CIC takes decision differently.

However, if you got RQ is not an issue, just provide all the information they have requested for, provide all her travel information and the reason why did she travelled. DO NOT EVER PROVIDE ANY FALSE INFORMATION.

RQ is simply a detail oriented fact about your residency requirement. I can understand its been a long waiting time for you but no need to frustrate and just go with the procedure.

Thanks

canadp

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
and yes, I agree, each case is different! I would recommend to focus on your wife's application as it is up to CIC to decide whom to RQ and whom not to! they know better I guess! there were many applicants who received their citizenship before mine, although I applied earlier then most of them. Better no to compare your case with others as it never helps but adds too much stress instead.

pzannella

Feb 25, 2014
Thank you Yolka and Canadp!

PS....However what difference does it makes if the CIC citizenship application requirement states that you need complete 3 years out of 4 years in Canada. In my wife's case she completed 3 years in Canada in just 3.5 years which is even before 4 years.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
pzannella said:

PS....However what difference does it makes if the CIC citizenship application requirement states that you need complete 3 years out of 4 years in Canada. In my wife's case she completed 3 years in Canada in just 3.5 years which is even before 4 years.
No difference - again, she should be fine.

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
pzannella said:

No difference! I just know people get RQ for frequent travelling, most people do, not everybody. RQ is stressful when it comes to gathering documents but it is nothing to be worried about. CIC just wants more information for proof. Some new applicants mostly get it processed within a year and for some people it takes much longer. No worries. All the best.

pzannella

Feb 25, 2014
I've asked a Hero member via private message but also I would appreciate many other viewpoints for the following:

QUESTION 11 is "Since your arrival date in Canada, for each family member of your immediate family (e.g., spouse, common-law partner and children) provide legal citizenship/immigration status in the country they reside. Please include status in Canada (if no status, indicate N/A)."

I have what is called a "resident permit" for Saudi Arabia so would we reply in the RQ question 11 under "Status in country where they reside", as a "resident"? I have travelled back to Canada so many times trough-out a given year never and still I have very clear financial related ties with Canada (Mortgage,accounts...etc) would CIC regard me as a resident of Saudi Arabia and my "status in Canada" as only a Citizen but not as a resident?

kimosabe

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
pzannella said:
I've asked a Hero member via private message but also I would appreciate many other viewpoints for the following:

QUESTION 11 is "Since your arrival date in Canada, for each family member of your immediate family (e.g., spouse, common-law partner and children) provide legal citizenship/immigration status in the country they reside. Please include status in Canada (if no status, indicate N/A)."

I have what is called a "resident permit" for Saudi Arabia so would we reply in the RQ question 11 under "Status in country where they reside", as a "resident"? I have travelled back to Canada so many times trough-out a given year never and still I have very clear financial related ties with Canada (Mortgage,accounts...etc) would CIC regard me as a resident of Saudi Arabia and my "status in Canada" as only a Citizen but not as a resident?
Do you still file Canadian Tax Return? If yes, then at least in the eyes of CRA, you are a Citizen & a Resident of Canada. By extension, CIC may also regard you in the same way.