+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Ryan4

Nov 27, 2020
once you have pr (well a pr card ) you get 5 yrs vs 2 years on RTD. he is saying what's the difference between using the card when applying and u get 5 yrs vs with a copr and getting 2 years like if you weren't a pr as yet. when you actually a pr now to get the 5-year document.. he is saying it makes no sense
Exactly what I mean

Hnc

Nov 5, 2020
Exactly what I mean
It is related to 1951 convention. if you are conventional refugee you can not be abroad more than 2 year (it depends to the country as I know USA implement such term as 1 year). So they want to monitor your situation in 2 years. As you know you can not renew RTD outside of Canada. After PR to grant citizenship you have to stay in Canada more than 3 years in 5 years. All these RTD validity times are related to some terms and liabilities as I think

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
It is related to 1951 convention. if you are conventional refugee you can not be abroad more than 2 year (it depends to the country as I know USA implement such term as 1 year). So they want to monitor your situation in 2 years. As you know you can not renew RTD outside of Canada. After PR to grant citizenship you have to stay in Canada more than 3 years in 5 years. All these RTD validity times are related to some terms and liabilities as I think
it's because a lot of people said when they applied after pr they got 5 yrs. whether it was a renewal or the first time applying for a RTD..

Reactions: Ratmir

Ratmir

Jun 9, 2017
it's because a lot of people said when they applied after pr they got 5 yrs. whether it was a renewal or the first time applying for a RTD..
Hi, is the offices open in person to renew RTD or only by mail?

And to renew it should we wait for until Pr card itself or Corp enough?

Please share if have any opinions

Misakaswal

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
Guys do we have to send original Pr card with rtd application or attested photocopy from guarantor is enough and did they start in person intake of applications thanks

Ratmir

Jun 9, 2017
Hi everyone,

Canadian Certificate of Identity - I heard that when becoming PR, you obtain this one. no RTD. what is the difference? and who recently have had this Identity?

Certificate of identity
We issue certificates of identity to permanent residents of Canada who aren’t yet Canadian citizens and who either
  • are otherwise stateless, or
  • can’t get a national passport or travel document from any source for a valid reason
You can’t use a certificate of identity to travel to your country of citizenship.
The issuing office decides the validity period.

Canada issues two types of travel documents to non-Canadians:
  • refugee travel document: issued to protected persons in Canada, including convention refugees or persons in need of protection; and
  • certificate of identity: issued to eligible permanent residents of Canada who are not protected persons and are stateless or cannot obtain a national passport or travel document from any other source.
Contact us if you do not know your immigration status.
You have to be in Canada to apply for a travel document for you or your child.
Once we receive your application, we will determine whether to issue you a:
  • Refugee travel document; or
  • Certificate of identity

so for the document there is only one application and they decide which one to give or?

Last edited:

Ryan4

Nov 27, 2020
Hi everyone,

Canadian Certificate of Identity - I heard that when becoming PR, you obtain this one. no RTD. what is the difference? and who recently have had this Identity?

Certificate of identity
We issue certificates of identity to permanent residents of Canada who aren’t yet Canadian citizens and who either
  • are otherwise stateless, or
  • can’t get a national passport or travel document from any source for a valid reason
You can’t use a certificate of identity to travel to your country of citizenship.
The issuing office decides the validity period.

Canada issues two types of travel documents to non-Canadians:
  • refugee travel document: issued to protected persons in Canada, including convention refugees or persons in need of protection; and
  • certificate of identity: issued to eligible permanent residents of Canada who are not protected persons and are stateless or cannot obtain a national passport or travel document from any other source.
Contact us if you do not know your immigration status.
You have to be in Canada to apply for a travel document for you or your child.
Once we receive your application, we will determine whether to issue you a:
  • Refugee travel document; or
  • Certificate of identity

so for the document there is only one application and they decide which one to give or?
In summary, Certificate of Identity is for PR holders who are stateless (don’s have a nationality) or became PRs under different categories (not Convention Refugees or Protected Person) such as skilled workers etc... but don’t/can’t have their national passport. For example, can’t renew their passport or etc... Therefore, they apply for Certificate of Identity.

Refugee Travel Document is simply for Convention Refugees or Protected Persons. Whether you have PR or don’t; it doesn’t not matter, you still apply for Refugee Travel Document because you DO HAVE a national passport but you can’t/it’s not good to use it.

And to answer you, yes. There is only one application for both, RTD and CoI, and they decide which one you qualify for according to the criteria above.

Reactions: Ratmir and Yuki.03

Ratmir

Jun 9, 2017
In summary, Certificate of Identity is for PR holders who are stateless (don’s have a nationality) or became PRs under different categories (not Convention Refugees or Protected Person) such as skilled workers etc... but don’t/can’t have their national passport. For example, can’t renew their passport or etc... Therefore, they apply for Certificate of Identity.

Refugee Travel Document is simply for Convention Refugees or Protected Persons. Whether you have PR or don’t; it doesn’t not matter, you still apply for Refugee Travel Document because you DO HAVE a national passport but you can’t/it’s not good to use it.

And to answer you, yes. There is only one application for both, RTD and CoI, and they decide which one you qualify for according to the criteria above.
Thank you. I got it. So still when we send application do we need send Corp is enough or Pr car itself?(or copy)? Any idea?

Reactions: Ryan4

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
Thank you. I got it. So still when we send application do we need send Corp is enough or Pr car itself?(or copy)? Any idea?
best to send the card itself or a photocopy of it. you will possibly get 5 years valid RTD. copr you will get 2 years or someone on here said it was refused due to them using copr.

Reactions: adbcca and Ryan4