+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Recieved report on why i was denied entry?

ST123

Jan 9, 2012
Hey all.

A while ago i posted an article that i was denied entry into Canada for a legitimate holiday as i had a job in the UK,return tickets, no past criminal convictions and my passport was fine etc.

I have just recieved a report (that i asked for upon returning home) as to why i was denied. (also something i thought i had put in my original article that i didn't which i apologize for!) was that i was going to see a friend while i was there (not for the full holiday, a few days). In the report it says that a member of the family in the household that i was going to visit did not have a Canadian passport, but was in the process of obtaining it, how ever they were still deemed to be illegal as their Visa had expired before obtaining a passport. So this is why i was denied entry. Obviously i didn't know this at the time (that one didn't have a valid passport/was illegal)

So my question being, i'm assuming the border agent thought i was going to stay with this family for my holiday, rather than actualy do what i said i was going to do. So going off that, will i still be able to return to Canada provided that i take all the correct documentation again etc? Or will they look at this and wonder if it's the same thing? My passport wasn't stamped and i signed to say i was voluntarily leaving, so will i be able to return and get in?

Thank you.

vivacanada

Jan 23, 2012
ST123 said:
Hey all.

A while ago i posted an article that i was denied entry into Canada for a legitimate holiday as i had a job in the UK,return tickets, no past criminal convictions and my passport was fine etc.

I have just recieved a report (that i asked for upon returning home) as to why i was denied. (also something i thought i had put in my original article that i didn't which i apologize for!) was that i was going to see a friend while i was there (not for the full holiday, a few days). In the report it says that a member of the family in the household that i was going to visit did not have a Canadian passport, but was in the process of obtaining it, how ever they were still deemed to be illegal as their Visa had expired before obtaining a passport. So this is why i was denied entry. Obviously i didn't know this at the time (that one didn't have a valid passport/was illegal)

So my question being, i'm assuming the border agent thought i was going to stay with this family for my holiday, rather than actualy do what i said i was going to do. So going off that, will i still be able to return to Canada provided that i take all the correct documentation again etc? Or will they look at this and wonder if it's the same thing? My passport wasn't stamped and i signed to say i was voluntarily leaving, so will i be able to return and get in?

Thank you.
Can you send me the link to your original post? If you can't post it here, try PM it to me. Can you also clarify under which condition you sought entry to Canada, visitor visa or using a visa exempt passport? If you sought entry with a visitor visa, was the member of the family a sponsor/inviter for your visitor visa? If no, then your visa was issued with no connection to that member, on what grounds the border officer can deny your entry with a valid visa because someone you may not even know personally may have illegal status in Canada? Ask them for specific reason. Also, did they tell the reason of denial at border, or it was only shown in the report later. Without details, there are too many assumptions and guess work to bar forum members here from helping you further.

ST123

Jan 9, 2012
I'll just sum up my first paragraph. I left from the United Kingdom for Canada on the 16th of December and i was suppose to be staying in Canada until about the 6th of January. I arrived at Airport in Toronto and i was asked what the purpose of my visit was,how long i was staying for, if it was my first visit etc. I was then directed into the Customs/Imigration office. I was asked several questions again about where i had come from,why i was there, if i had a job and what job it was etc. I was asked where i was staying etc and if i was going to visit anyone. I said i was visiting my friend but it was only going to be for a few days, i was asked of the persons name and i told them and they said they had some checks to do etc. I was called back and i was asked a few more questions to which they had to check, all in all i was there about 5-6 hours without being told what was happening. In the end i was rejected entry, the reason is was giving was that they weren't convinced i was going to leave the country and that i was infact there for work. Despite me already having a job back in the UK. My passport wasn't stamped as i said and i left voluntarily.

I recieved my report back which stated some unusual things. The border office said that i "didn't have a strong relationship with my family" despite being asked NOTHING about my family back home. It again stated that they were convinced i was there for work. But it also said that 1 member of the family of my friend who i was going to visit came up on their computer as not being legal in Canada (which i didn't know about at the time).

To your other questions, i didn't require a Visa since i'm from the UK,so a Visa exempt passport. As i said it dosen't seem to have been any problems with my documentation. I had return flight tickets and even a return bus ticket for when i got back to the UK. They didn'task for any records of my work place/bank accounts etc.

I was told i was free to return but it was very unlikely i would get into the country unless i had a good reason,and i can't really have a better reason other than a holiday lol.

vivacanada

Jan 23, 2012
ST123 said:
I'll just sum up my first paragraph. I left from the United Kingdom for Canada on the 16th of December and i was suppose to be staying in Canada until about the 6th of January. I arrived at Airport in Toronto and i was asked what the purpose of my visit was,how long i was staying for, if it was my first visit etc. I was then directed into the Customs/Imigration office. I was asked several questions again about where i had come from,why i was there, if i had a job and what job it was etc. I was asked where i was staying etc and if i was going to visit anyone. I said i was visiting my friend but it was only going to be for a few days, i was asked of the persons name and i told them and they said they had some checks to do etc. I was called back and i was asked a few more questions to which they had to check, all in all i was there about 5-6 hours without being told what was happening. In the end i was rejected entry, the reason is was giving was that they weren't convinced i was going to leave the country and that i was infact there for work. Despite me already having a job back in the UK. My passport wasn't stamped as i said and i left voluntarily.

I recieved my report back which stated some unusual things. The border office said that i "didn't have a strong relationship with my family" despite being asked NOTHING about my family back home. It again stated that they were convinced i was there for work. But it also said that 1 member of the family of my friend who i was going to visit came up on their computer as not being legal in Canada (which i didn't know about at the time).

To your other questions, i didn't require a Visa since i'm from the UK,so a Visa exempt passport. As i said it dosen't seem to have been any problems with my documentation. I had return flight tickets and even a return bus ticket for when i got back to the UK. They didn'task for any records of my work place/bank accounts etc.

I was told i was free to return but it was very unlikely i would get into the country unless i had a good reason,and i can't really have a better reason other than a holiday lol.
Sorry to hear your story. Though this is rare case, sometimes visa exempt passport does you no good. If you were on a visitor visa, you would be let in Canada with no hassle.

If I were you, I would write a complaint letter to Jason Kenny, Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism with details you provided here, asking for explanation as to why the officer did not verify your family ties with UK and employment, bank saving in UK but made such judgement that you do not have sufficient ties with UK. Based on what you wrote, I believe you were treated unfairly at the border, since you have strong family ties and job in home country.

I will paste Mr. Kenny's contact info below as I cannot post link here. You may also google the term "Jason Kenny minister office"

Contact the Minister

You may send comments to the Honourable Jason Kenney at Minister@cic.gc.ca.

Please note that if you want application status information or to change your address, you may do so using our online services. Case status enquiries and change-of-address requests are not handled via the Minister’s e-mail address.

Mail

Please write to:

The Honourable Jason Kenney, P.C., M.P.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 1L1

vivacanada

Jan 23, 2012
On a personal note, I always travel with my employment letter with reference, recent bank statement, hotel booking, friend invitation and etc with me, even if I travel to a visa exempted country. I'd suggest you do the same, now you learned the immigration can be very bureaucratic at times. I wish similar situation will never occur in your future. However, if it does, do not let them turn you back so easily, ask for detailed reasons and under which specific law/regulation you are denied entry, request to call your embassy, you need to fight (not literally though) for your own if you feel you are treated unfairly. If you let them shut you off like this, it does not just waste your money on the airfare, but also leaving a bad mark in their immigration system which might affect your future travel to the same country.

TRUONGAN

Nov 18, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CIO Received Oct 9 2012
AOR Received.
Nov 26 2012
Med's Request
Nov 29 2012
Med's Done....
December 8 2012
Interview........
In process Feb 12 2013
Passport Req..
March 27 2013
ST123 said:

I assume they knew your information even before you touch the ground in Canada. Somebody must have reported something about you to the authority that was not in your favor.

Do not always blame the CBSA. They do their job very good. You must make sure your background is clear first. I am not saying you lie. But I believe you got something to hide them and they knew it even without asking you. They do not have to make decision based on the questions you were asked.

If I were a CBSA, I don't trust your story either. Sorry, sad but true! Please try to establish better in UK and try to seek entry again in a few years. Next time, do not come to visit illegal people.

vivacanada

Jan 23, 2012
TRUONGAN said:
I assume they knew your information even before you touch the ground in Canada. Somebody must have reported something about you to the authority that was not in your favor.

Do not always blame the CBSA. They do their job very good. You must make sure your background is clear first. I am not saying you lie. But I believe you got something to hide them and they knew it even without asking you. They do not have to make decision based on the questions you were asked.

If I were a CBSA, I don't trust your story either. Sorry, sad but true! Please try to establish better in UK and try to seek entry again in a few years. Next time, do not come to visit illegal people.
Nah, truongan, I don't think OP is that kind of person. As OP said, the officer was thinking s/he will overstay authorized stay in Canada and seek job opportunity. If OP has, e.g. criminal history, then immigration would have asked about that more specifically. Once confirmed, s/he would be immediately sent back based on criminal inadmissibility rather than waiting for hours verifying irrelevant information. At least that's what I read from OP. We should not assume OP is guilty, should we?

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
It is unusual for a Brit to be stopped entry into Canada, unless there is a criminal record involved. Are you British by birth or have you obtained your Nationality?

There is more to this, I would investigate further if you are sure there is no other background issues that could have created this situation.

ST123

Jan 9, 2012
Thanks for all the info :).

I am British by birth. I have no criminal convictions and have had no trouble with the law or anything before as i said.

If i had known that a person within that family household was illegal i wouldn't have gone ahead with the trip (as in i wouldn't have gone ahead with visiting that family and just have continued as normal with the holiday) as it would have been a waste of time and more so money. It cost me roughly (for travel only) about £650. I wouldn't have spent that if i new that the person was illegal because i know that i would have been stopped and rejected.

Going back to what was said about my family ties not being strong in the opinion of the border agent, one of the first things i asked was if i would be able to call my parents to tell them that i had landed safely etc and the reply i got from the border agent (in a confused voice) was "you want to call your parents? why?"

I had already contacted someone at the Immigration and Multiculturalism (can't remember who it was) but the reply i recieved was that the decision of the Border Agent at the time regarding entry into the country is final and that nothing could be done on the matter. Obviously i'm gutted that it didn't work out as it took a good few month to plan my holiday, to save up for it and to get the time off work. My only really worry is that this incident will stop me from getting back in in the future.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Someone who works for my company went to the UK to instruct a one week seminar to a UK government group in Cheltenham. He was a US Citizen and had a return ticket. The contract was through a UK contractor (not the government directly) and the IO in that case called the UK contractor's contact person and told them they would need to obtain a work permit for him to teach this seminar. He was sent home on a flight and we had to send a different person to teach the seminar.

So yes, these things happen, and once it HAS happened, its best to take proactive steps to prevent it from happening again.

He just got back from a more recent trip to the UK (the first since that previous fateful experience) and prior to traveling obtained a business visa (this time for a meeting with a large multi-national company about a project they have contracted us to perform.) It's rather unusual but certainly not disallowed, and it allows someone who isn't at the border making an instantaneous decision to consider the request. That way when you ARE at the border, the scrutiny has already been done and the IO should defer absent some sort of very obvious evidence to the contrary.

So, my suggestion: if you wish to visit Canada in the future, get a Visitor Visa. The form package is on the Canadian website, and you send it to the application, supporting documents, pictures and the $75 or $150 fee to the CHC in London for processing. The worst case is they reject you in which case you're out the fee, rather than the cost of a plane ticket.

According to the CIC website, the current processing time for a Visitor Visa with the CHC in London is 7 days.

vivacanada

Jan 23, 2012
computergeek said:
According to the CIC website, the current processing time for a Visitor Visa with the CHC in London is 7 days.
It's certainly worth a try. But OP is a visa exempt national to Canada. Can't be sure if the CHC will process OP's TRV app.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Visa exempt does not mean "cannot obtain a Visa" it just means "generally do not require a visa". Except when there's been a problem in the past.

Write a cover letter stating the circumstances of what happened, that you were denied entry and before you come to visit again, you would really like to make sure you won't be denied entry again - hence, requesting a TRV.

ST123

Jan 9, 2012
So to be clear.

I should apply for a Visitor Visa before i go next time, go for a shorter amount of time (2 weeks or less) and then just take all of the details that i took last time,bank statements etc. However my main concern is still that they could think i'm back in the country for work again. Which i'm not sure i could convince them otherwise,even with an employer letter etc.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
ST123, this was your original post in case you can't find it:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/job-offerentry-into-canada-t94093.0.html

The person, having illegal person(s) in his household, that you were visiting is the core reason that did not let you enter Canada. There might be even worse history in their family, for example, refugee claims, criminal records, fraudulent acitivities and so on. If you need to use someone's name as to visit or someone has to invite you from Canada, make sure he/she is a law-abiding resident/citizen who obtained his/her status by birth or through legal process.

Along with your employment verification letter, you should also keep an NOC (No Objection Certificate) from your employer where it states that you've been granted leave of absence for so n so time and will be returning to duty on specific date after the vacation is over.

Since you were rejected entry on POE and CBSA will have your record; you should first straighten things out before attempting for second time. CIC won't indulge itself into a delicate border matter when it's controlled by CBSA.

JSLABANA87

Mar 14, 2012
Hi there,

I am planning on traveling to Canada to attend a close family friends wedding. here is my situation.

I do have a misdeamnor charge of attempted battery that took place in the US

I was born and currently live in the US but i also have a UK passport.

from what i have been reading that if i try and enter with my US passport they would see my charge

but

if i try and enter with my UK passport would they still see my charges that happened in the US??