+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rainbow Bridge PR Landing FAILED

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks for the prompt reply, yes, I just checked that the pedestrian sidewalk for Peace bridge is closed until 2019.

So, I should be good entering the USA, and do my landing as a regular immigrant? The entire Flag-poleing had me worried as I don't want to travel all the way for nothing. How long did it take the entire process at the borders?

Thanks!!
Yeah should be good since you're not flagpoling. Just spend a few hours in the US like you say you would.

Depends on what time you go. Don't go during peak hours, or else the wait at CBP will be killer. Waited 2 hours total to get my I-94 on a Saturday morning last summer, but CBSA was empty going back later that night, so it took 20 minutes or so total. Exited and returned both at Peace Bridge in a car.

Reactions: anton5000

anton5000

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Yeah should be good since you're not flagpoling. Just spend a few hours in the US like you say you would.

Depends on what time you go. Don't go during peak hours, or else the wait at CBP will be killer. Waited 2 hours total to get my I-94 on a Saturday morning last summer, but CBSA was empty going back later that night, so it took 20 minutes or so total. Exited and returned both at Peace Bridge in a car.
Thanks! When you took an uber to the peace bridge, did it drop you off before crossing the bridge or there is a U turn over there? I ended up taking an uber now to the Peace Bridge since the officers at Rainbow Bridge told me they were full for the day...

Thanks!

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Thanks! When you took an uber to the peace bridge, did it drop you off before crossing the bridge or there is a U turn over there? I ended up taking an uber now to the Peace Bridge since the officers at Rainbow Bridge told me they were full for the day...

Thanks!

So even though you left Canada, went to the US for a couple hours, and then came back they said they were full?

anton5000

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
So even though you left Canada, went to the US for a couple hours, and then came back they said they were full?
Yeah, they gave me back all my documents and told me to come other day or apply at CIC office as they were "very full today" (they had like 15 people sitting in the area) or I could try going to another port but it would be the same.

I ended up going to Peace Bridge and found out they had a shuttle bus that takes you to the USA immigration room (as the pedestrian walk is closed) and back. On the Canadian side, there were three officers and the room was totally
empty and they processed my PR in less than 5 minutes... I wonder what happened at the Rainbow one then.

I'll give more details when I get home tonight :) Thanks everybody for all
the information and help!

Reactions: IndoKori

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Yeah, they gave me back all my documents and told me to come other day or apply at CIC office as they were "very full today" (they had like 15 people sitting in the area) or I could try going to another port but it would be the same.

I ended up going to Peace Bridge and found out they had a shuttle bus that takes you to the USA immigration room (as the pedestrian walk is closed) and back. On the Canadian side, there were three officers and the room was totally
empty and they processed my PR in less than 5 minutes... I wonder what happened at the Rainbow one then.

The officers at the Rainbow Bridge are purposely making problems so that it gets back to CIC, and some changes are made to the process. They are apparently feeling overwhelmed... at least some officers have told previous posters... and those looking to land are getting the short end of the stick. If I weren't in a hurry, and I were inland, I'd just make the appointment and do it at an office. I'm going to do my landing at Toronto Airport next month. I'm glad the Peace Bridge process went well for you, and congrats on becoming an official PR!

amhbala

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-01-2017

Thanks for your info. are they allows allows PR landing all 7 days in Peace bridge or is it same as rainbow bridge.

anton5000

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
The officers at the Rainbow Bridge are purposely making problems so that it gets back to CIC, and some changes are made to the process. They are apparently feeling overwhelmed... at least some officers have told previous posters... and those looking to land are getting the short end of the stick. If I weren't in a hurry, and I were inland, I'd just make the appointment and do it at an office. I'm going to do my landing at Toronto Airport next month. I'm glad the Peace Bridge process went well for you, and congrats on becoming an official PR!
Yes, I'm sure they are overloaded with so many landing and they seemed really annoyed, but again, it doesn't take more than 5 minutes per person to do it. The appointment usually is given for in 3 weeks or so, but I have a Christmas trip planned so I wanted to get my PR Card asap.

Thank you so much! All the best for you as well!

Thanks for your info. are they allows allows PR landing all 7 days in Peace bridge or is it same as rainbow bridge.
I don't know, as the Peace bridge office was empty they actually greeted me nicely and didn't say anything about day/hours restriction. I'm guessing is because 1. The Fort Erie/Buffalo POE is the furthest one in Southern Ontario. 2. There is currently no pedestrian bridge cross. and 3. There's not a near public bus stop to reach easily.

Anyhow, I came around 11:30 am and had no problem as opposed to Rainbow Bridge where they accept people until 8 am or so only, so they might be also working other days? If I were you, I would go between Tuesday and Thursday just to be on the safe side, but I TOTALLY RECOMMEND going to Peace Bridge instead.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
http://jrlawoffice.com/flagpoling-check-before-going-to-uscanada-borders/

“On June 16, 2017, the Canada Border Services Agency’s Southern Ontario Region started the Flagpoling pilot project. The Pilot involves new procedures for temporary residents of Canada who flagpole from Friday to Monday at the Rainbow, Queenston-Lewiston and Peace Bridges.”

(Note: Flagpoling means to exit a country momentarily and reenter. Usually this is done to satisfy immigration requirements. )

“Due to high volumes and/or excessive immigration wait times experienced from Friday to Monday, temporary residents who flagpole at the specified border crossings to receive immediate processing of Confirmation of Permanent Resident, Work Permit and Study Permit applications will be allowed to proceed into Canada under their current immigration status and given one of the following options:

• Apply online, by mail or make an appointment at an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) office within Canada; or
  • Return to a CBSA port of entry from Tuesday to Thursday when operational volumes permit the processing of these applications.”
In short, if individuals want to activate their permanent resident visa, or activate a new work or study permit, at the designated Niagara Falls border point, they must plan their trip to be on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday only. We highly recommend people to check before they go to the Niagara Falls borders!

In addition, some borders are starting to adopt this policy without announcement. As a result, we caution anyone expecting these PR and Permit services at airports or other borders to be mindful of this policy and check before they enter Canada.

Click here for the full fact sheet from the Canada Border Services Agency.

Reactions: GodLuck

Evaii

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
Nomination.....
16-12-2016
AOR Received.
04-01-2017
Med's Done....
05-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2017
http://jrlawoffice.com/flagpoling-check-before-going-to-uscanada-borders/

“On June 16, 2017, the Canada Border Services Agency’s Southern Ontario Region started the Flagpoling pilot project. The Pilot involves new procedures for temporary residents of Canada who flagpole from Friday to Monday at the Rainbow, Queenston-Lewiston and Peace Bridges.”

(Note: Flagpoling means to exit a country momentarily and reenter. Usually this is done to satisfy immigration requirements. )

“Due to high volumes and/or excessive immigration wait times experienced from Friday to Monday, temporary residents who flagpole at the specified border crossings to receive immediate processing of Confirmation of Permanent Resident, Work Permit and Study Permit applications will be allowed to proceed into Canada under their current immigration status and given one of the following options:

• Apply online, by mail or make an appointment at an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) office within Canada; or
  • Return to a CBSA port of entry from Tuesday to Thursday when operational volumes permit the processing of these applications.”
In short, if individuals want to activate their permanent resident visa, or activate a new work or study permit, at the designated Niagara Falls border point, they must plan their trip to be on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday only. We highly recommend people to check before they go to the Niagara Falls borders!

In addition, some borders are starting to adopt this policy without announcement. As a result, we caution anyone expecting these PR and Permit services at airports or other borders to be mindful of this policy and check before they enter Canada.

Click here for the full fact sheet from the Canada Border Services Agency.
OMG, this's good to know. I was planning to landing these weekend. Plus I don't have a US visa, I have to change my plan to next Tuesday!

cki59

Apr 27, 2017
Hi guys, I received an email from Etobicoke Immigration Center for an appointment end of September but I really need the activation of my permanent residency now or I cannot work... I would like to try again with the 3 bridges at Niagara Falls but I just saw in the document I've been sent from the immigration that I need to bring 2 extra photos for the permanent residency card?! I already sent them 2 ID photos in the format they wanted to get the COPR. Do you know if I really need to get 2 extra photos again to activate my permanent residency at the boarder? Thanks a lot.

PAuaePakTor

Star Member
Oct 5, 2016
Hi guys, I received an email from Etobicoke Immigration Center for an appointment end of September but I really need the activation of my permanent residency now or I cannot work... I would like to try again with the 3 bridges at Niagara Falls but I just saw in the document I've been sent from the immigration that I need to bring 2 extra photos for the permanent residency card?! I already sent them 2 ID photos in the format they wanted to get the COPR. Do you know if I really need to get 2 extra photos again to activate my permanent residency at the boarder? Thanks a lot.
Yes you do need to take two recent photos with you because theoretically a person can land after more than 6 months of COPR, and life of a photo is 6 months maximum in immigration / visa cases.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Yes you do need to take two recent photos with you because theoretically a person can land after more than 6 months of COPR, and life of a photo is 6 months maximum in immigration / visa cases.

Aren't the two photo you need for landing attached to the COPR? I'm not seeing anywhere that more photos are needed than what CIC originally asked for, however I'm not doing my landing at a center, and the info that came with my COPR doesn't state to bring more photos, so it may be different.

Reactions: GodLuck

Kachra

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
im planning to do flagpole at 1000 island. judging from all the comments at least i can say that I wont face Rainbow brifge horrors.
my question is that i will be going with my frnd who has canadian citizenship nd US visa while i have none. will there be any issue at US border or candian? and yes we are going by car..

PAuaePakTor

Star Member
Oct 5, 2016
Kindly need an advise, I will get the COPR from Ottawa (Sent passport on 29th Aug).
I am on TRV multiple entries in Canada with implied status as my current stay has exceeded 6 months and I applied for extension well before expiry of current visit.
I also have a USA visa.
Can I walk to USA side on rainbow bridge and stay there for couple of hours visiting USA side of the falls and come back to Canada as PR.
Will there be any queries of USA or Canada side if I go for couple of hours by walking on the bridge.
thanks

akhilesh2209

Mar 3, 2016
Hi Riz,

I have a US visa but had visited US recently. They US Visa authorities will therefore not stamp my visa until after 6 months. What proof can I show to Canadian authorities that I actually entered USA?

This. I went to US side to see the falls from the other side, came back an hour later and did the landing, no issues. Had to pay 6 dollars to U.S. border service though as some sort of travel document handling fee. They clipped a white label into my passport and told to give it back to Canadians on my last exit from U.S. Anyway, if you are as me and don't want to get an administrative refusal as a result of flag polling procedure, just tell the officer you are a day visitor and all will be fine.