+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant, no insurance, no status yet - what to do?

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
In Alberta there is no waiting period, once your PR is granted and you land you can obtain your health card with your landing documents. That is one positive thing, but you have a slim chance to have your PR before the delivery. Maybe if you get 1st and 2nd stage approval at the same time which is not so uncommon these days. It is better to prepare for the original scenario when you are still uncovered.
Midwives are not free in Alberta as far as I know but the costs are significantly lower than doctors.
It is your choice whether you trust the midwives and have a home birth or for extra security choose to give birth in a hospital. You still have to pay for lab tests, ect. and even the post-delivery care.
It is a hard decision to make indeed, but your child and your life. I wish you to have an uncomplicated pregnancy and best of luck to find an option that works for you.

Indigo

Oct 22, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin, Germany
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-09-2011
AOR Received.
05-01-2012
File Transfer...
25-11-2011
Med's Done....
26-08-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2012 (COPR)
LANDED..........
22-01-2012
I think Alberta has no waiting period. Do some googling though to confirm.

cantor2537

Star Member
Jun 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2011
AOR Received.
01-12-2011
File Transfer...
28-10-2011, 15-12-2011 (transferred to LA)
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-03-2012
LANDED..........
08-03-2012
There is a 3 month waiting period in Alberta too.

http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/Q-moving.html

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
■If you move to Alberta from outside Canada your coverage begins on your date of arrival in Alberta.

This is the exact quote from the AHCIP website. IF you move from OUTSIDE Canada you are covered from the very first day. IF you get your PR and you LAND, it doesn`t matter whether you lived in Alberta or not before, you are a new resident from OUTSIDE Canada.
And trust me they will give it to you the very same day as your PR. I lived in Albarta for 4 years before getting my PR and was on implied status for 4 months before. I had my landing documents in hand and the other requirements, went to the registry the very same day and was issued a health card back. You will get your number first and then the card in about 10 days by mail. If you were covered before, you will have the same card number permanently.

kelliana

Nov 16, 2011
I didn't know its gonna be so complicated. Should my husband coverage cover that though? He is Canadian.

destanova

Jan 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10Feb2011
File Transfer...
24Mar2011
Med's Done....
24Jan2011
Passport Req..
04Oct2011
kelliana said:
I didn't know its gonna be so complicated. Should my husband coverage cover that though? He is Canadian.
You may want to let us know which province you currently live in, so someone can give you more concise advice. My husband's supplemental insurance (through his employer) covers my prescriptions, but will NOT cover any procedures or fees that are normally covered by OHIP (we live in Ontario).

In our area, there are many community health centres that provide free, or low-cost care to those without provincial health coverage. This is how we found my midwife. In Ontario, midwifery services are covered by the Ministry of Health which does not require OHIP coverage, so more providers are able to provide their services free, or at a lowered rate.

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
The OP stated that she is living in Alberta. Her husband`s health coverage or any private or supplemental insurance won`t cover her pregnancy. Her prescription medication maybe but not medical procedures as destanova just said. The simple reason why travel insurances will never cover pregnancy is that the cost of delivery can range very widely depending on individual needs. A C-section and a long stay in the hospital for whatever reason or a complication-free, routine delivery is not the same.
Ontario`s midwifery system is different than the Albertan- in Alberta she has to pay for the midwife services as well.
If she resides in Edmonton or Calgary she may find community health care for cheaper, but I doubt any health service would be free without coverage. There is not as many options here as in Ontario which is a problem for those who are not covered.
By experience I know someone where I live who gave birth without any coverage and the total medical cost was around 15000$, she still pays it in a monthly settlement. She had a hard time to find any doctor who was willing to deliver the baby when the time came. Yet again, I live in Fort McMurray which has a huge shortage in health care professionals anyway and I am certain that there are more options out there elsewhere in the province.