+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Refugee

arthurarthur

Oct 9, 2015
Hello there,

I'm convention refugee and I already applied for PR. However, according to current processing time, when my application will be processed my refugee ID will be expired. I know that time varies and it might be much shorter, but, just in case, to know in advance, what I'm supposed to do if it happened. Do I need to reissue my refugee ID (if it's possible at all) or just continue to wait for PR and be "kinda" illegally in Canada? Or I will have something from CIC after first stage what can "kinda" replace or be substitute for my refugee ID while I'm waiting for PR?

Please help if anyone knows something, I'm really confused

Thanks in advance

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
Are you are talking about the picture ID which was issued at the time you made/apply for a refugee protection then That is infact NOT a refugee ID or ID to prove that you are a conventional refugee. it is just an ID for refugee claimant (a person who had made a refugee claim and is awaiting decision). the document must have clearly stated "refugee protection claimant document". so once your refugee case is accepted you are now conventional refugee or protected person.

As it has your picture on it and it is issued by Canadian government so it is acceptable as a ID till it is valid (but still it will not prove that your case has been accepted). Once a refugee claimant is approved as a conventional refugee IRB issue a Notice of decision which is the prove of your status in canada...that you have been accepted as a conventional refugee. So the refugee claimant document will not be renewed.

dailyuse ID or to prove your identification you either need a drivers license or picture ID card which you can easily get from any registry office by showing your:-

a) Notice of decision ( i.e your status is canada)
b) Proof of address where you are staying (which can be the agreement with landlord, or an official document mailed to you at that address like bank statement etc)
c) and the refugee claimant document or CBSA attested copies of your passport ( as they need atleast one document which has your picture on it)
d) a knowledge test only if you are obtaining drivers licence...for simple picture ID no test required.
(Note: requirements may depend in which province you are living)

once you get your drivers license OR picture ID card you are good to prove who you are.... And the Notice of Decision is your main proof of status in canada.

PR card:
a convention refugee may even choose never to apply for a PR status and still he will be allowed to live in Canada as Canadian law has granted him protection and had allowed him to live in Canada.
- as a convention refugee (without being a PR) he can apply for health card, drivers license, work permit, SIN number, travel document etc etc technically everything which is require to smoothly live in Canada.
- Yes a refugee has an option to apply for a PR status ( as Canadian government encourage refugee settlement) so a refugees apply for PR status which results a PR card. So generally first stage approval or AIP wont give you any extra benefits. or you wont be needing to show AIP or proof of PR application anywhere.

In Short: your Notice of decision is your main document to prove your Status in canada and with your Notice of decision you can get all the IDs require to live in canada.
And yes PR card is important because it will eventually lead a refugee to become citizen of canada and help him in a even more strengthen settlement.

i hope it helps you understand how your status and your ID documents will work in canada.

Reactions: agbasunne

himankkohli6

Jun 2, 2023
Have you got your pr and secondly have you included your dependents in yr pr application do you have kids please share your timeline it would be very thankful of you
Hello there,

I'm convention refugee and I already applied for PR. However, according to current processing time, when my application will be processed my refugee ID will be expired. I know that time varies and it might be much shorter, but, just in case, to know in advance, what I'm supposed to do if it happened. Do I need to reissue my refugee ID (if it's possible at all) or just continue to wait for PR and be "kinda" illegally in Canada? Or I will have something from CIC after first stage what can "kinda" replace or be substitute for my refugee ID while I'm waiting for PR?

Please help if anyone knows something, I'm really confused

Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

shareef7575

Jun 2, 2023
Can a Brazilian woman in Montréal since 6 months with asylum refugee file get married to a Canadian and correct her status and get permanent residency in Montréal with the husband as a sponsor

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can a Brazilian woman in Montréal since 6 months with asylum refugee file get married to a Canadian and correct her status and get permanent residency in Montréal with the husband as a sponsor
She can certainly marry the Canadian and the Canadian can sponsor her for PR through family class.

She should not withdraw her refugee claim until her family class PR application is approved.

Obviously the marriage and relationship would need to be genuine as well.

Reactions: Simba112

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Expect significant scrutiny especially if you only met in Canada. The fact that the chance of success for asylum claims from Brazil is quite low also will add to why there is increased scrutiny when it come to whether the relationship is genuine. When do you meet? How long have you been dating? Are there are red flags like not having a language in common so communication difficulties, religious differences, age differences, much different backgrounds, etc.? What were your grounds for asylum from Brazil? Brazil is not typically a country that leads to asylum claims. They actually absorb people fleeing their home countries.