+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR and Background check

Singh139

Jul 7, 2018
Dear community members,

Does anyone know why it takes over 6 months to conduct a background check when the applicant is 100% public on social media?

Best regards,

Last edited:

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Dear community members,

Does anyone know why it takes over 6 months to conduct a background check when the applicant is 100% public on social media?

Best regards,
Dieudonne
Background checks doesn't process like that. Background checks comprises mostly criminality and security checks. IRCC would requests background information from the countries that applicants has stayed for 6 months or more. The delays are usually because the countries that IRCC has requested information is slow in sending the information back to IRCC. And another cause of delay would be where the applicant is originally from such like Iran etc. Cases has shown applicants from specific countries experience longer background checks. Obviously it may seems unfair to the applicants themselves but IRCC stated the background checks are necessary for the safety of public.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
If they are going to ask the countries then dono why they are asking applicants to provide a pcc..
That is for criminality checks. If you declare no criminal charges and or have stated some crime charges was involved in your application, then you'll will provide documentation for it. Obviously there are limitations that IRCC can requests information from other countries. And its alot easier for applicants themselves to provide the information if there is public access. You can't expect IRCC to gather all the information for you. Otherwise it will take even longer to process your applications.

Singh139

Jul 7, 2018
That is for criminality checks. If you declare no criminal charges and or have stated some crime charges was involved in your application, then you'll will provide documentation for it. Obviously there are limitations that IRCC can requests information from other countries. And its alot easier for applicants themselves to provide the information if there is public access. You can't expect IRCC to gather all the information for you. Otherwise it will take even longer to process your applications.
Thanks for clarifications. Would you know how long, approximately, it takes to make a decision when all that information is gathered by IRCC?

Ann120

Aug 3, 2018
It shouldn't take 6 months unless you have criminal history. My husband is US citizen and we are currently applying for PR in Canada. He needed a FBI background check with fingerprints and we went to The Fingerprint Room and we got the certificate very quickly. I think we got his certificate in our email in like 1 day. We also had to get a Canadian background check for staying there longer than 6 months previously and we went to the same company and got it in 10 working days.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It shouldn't take 6 months unless you have criminal history. My husband is US citizen and we are currently applying for PR in Canada. He needed a FBI background check with fingerprints and we went to The Fingerprint Room and we got the certificate very quickly. I think we got his certificate in our email in like 1 day. We also had to get a Canadian background check for staying there longer than 6 months previously and we went to the same company and got it in 10 working days.
Apples and oranges. Getting an FBI certificate is not the background check. Yes - you must provide the FBI cert. However IRCC will conduct their own background check as part of application processing. This is an application processing step. It's entirely possible for the background check to take longer than six months even if someone has no criminal history.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Did anyone I have the idea or average times, that it can take IRCC to finalize my PR application for IP. I have done medical and when I checked last on 22 Aug,2018 it was stated that: "You passed Medical" but still showing "We are still processing your application/We are doing background check"

julietane

Jul 7, 2019
Does the Canadian government do a social media background check from applicant, that are applying for ETA Visa ?