+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postponed hearings timelines

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Any other montrealers in this thread should pls share their
Look through this forum. Plenty of people who have waited over 12 months the have waited a month or two for a letter confirming their results. Given you delayed coming to Canada to claim asylum so your son could complete grade 12 I'm not sure whether you actually have a strong case. First obstacle is definitely getting approval. Your son having to delay he education should no be a huge deal if he feared for his life.

coolguy124

Aug 25, 2018
Look through this forum. Plenty of people who have waited over 12 months the have waited a month or two for a letter confirming their results. Given you delayed coming to Canada to claim asylum so your son could complete grade 12 I'm not sure whether you actually have a strong case. First obstacle is definitely getting approval. Your son having to delay he education should no be a huge deal if he feared for his life.
im the principal applicant and he's my dependent (i can't leave my child) so yes my case is strong but im scared of the implications for his education. But yes you are right all we can do is hope for the best

coolguy124

Aug 25, 2018
also we didnt delay things just happened that way

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
im the principal applicant and he's my dependent (i can't leave my child) so yes my case is strong but im scared of the implications for his education. But yes you are right all we can do is hope for the best
Plenty of applicants without the rest of their families. You can't plan your life around an asylum system to is so overcapacity they keep altering. Your son is young and can always start university in a winter or summer session. Entrance next year seems unrealistic. He can work when he is18 and the first focus should be on gaining asylum. It is actually not an easy process and many are refused.

Reem-Canada

Aug 26, 2018
Hello everyone

My family are from Yemen, they apply as refugees last September 2017 and their first hearing appointment was canceled which was in November 2017, until now there is no alternative date also the lawyer is not willing to call the government and asked us to wait... any suggestions?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone

My family are from Yemen, they apply as refugees last September 2017 and their first hearing appointment was canceled which was in November 2017, until now there is no alternative date also the lawyer is not willing to call the government and asked us to wait... any suggestions?
Your in the normal processing time so you just have to wait until you get notified about your hearing.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
I know of some people who came last fall who are having their hearings right now. That coupled with what my lawyers secretary said has mr leaning more towards the 12 to 14 months. Might be wishful thinking but my son will not last another year ar home. He's extremely depressed, and he has weekly break downs. Very smart kid just sitting at home wasting his potential.
Either way ill try and connect with more people in the community to get an ancedotal gauge for what wait times in MTL are looking like.
People are separated from families and their little children and are waiting for two years at least to be accepted and then three years to have PR. You are with the family and now complaining for your son who might miss a year of free education! It is not fair. I know people who are crying daily talking on the skype with children who are living in dangerous countries without father for years. If you are so worried about your son pay for his tuition this year. Also in the way you apply, it is very possible the judge accuse you as misleading the CIC system.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
People are separated from families and their little children and are waiting for two years at least to be accepted and then three years to have PR. You are with the family and now complaining for your son who might miss a year of free education! It is not fair. I know people who are crying daily talking on the skype with children who are living in dangerous countries without father for years. If you are so worried about your son pay for his tuition this year. Also in the way you apply, it is very possible the judge accuse you as misleading the CIC system.
University is not free.

Reactions: Jalalcananda

Jan 10, 2017
Well said Jalalcanada, just complaining is not a right thing to do.

Jan 10, 2017
This is new process starting from 29th August 2018. Bad news for future refugees.

Starting on August 29, 2018, refugee protection claimants will be provided with a Confirmation of Referral by officers of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The Confirmation of Referral will contain important information for claimants, including:

• the deadline for submission of the Basis of Claim Form (BOC Form),
  • the special hearing date for abandonment (if BOC Form not submitted on-time), and
  • other important information regarding the processing of refugee protection claims.
The Confirmation of Referral will not include a hearing date. At a later date, refugee protection claimants will receive a Notice to Appear (NTA) from the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) which will provide the date, time and location of the hearing. The NTA will be sent to claimants and their counsel at least 20 days before the hearing.

An updated Claimant's Kit will also be available. It includes an updated Claimant's Guide and Important Instructions to reflect the new Confirmation of Referral process. The Important Instructions are available in 11 languages in addition to English and French.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
This is new process starting from 29th August 2018. Bad news for future refugees.

Starting on August 29, 2018, refugee protection claimants will be provided with a Confirmation of Referral by officers of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The Confirmation of Referral will contain important information for claimants, including:

• the deadline for submission of the Basis of Claim Form (BOC Form),
  • the special hearing date for abandonment (if BOC Form not submitted on-time), and
  • other important information regarding the processing of refugee protection claims.
The Confirmation of Referral will not include a hearing date. At a later date, refugee protection claimants will receive a Notice to Appear (NTA) from the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) which will provide the date, time and location of the hearing. The NTA will be sent to claimants and their counsel at least 20 days before the hearing.

An updated Claimant's Kit will also be available. It includes an updated Claimant's Guide and Important Instructions to reflect the new Confirmation of Referral process. The Important Instructions are available in 11 languages in addition to English and French.
Is it new? I remember we did the same in October 2017! And why it might be bad for the new applicants?

Jan 10, 2017
Is it new? I remember we did the same in October 2017! And why it might be bad for the new applicants?
Hi,

It is bad for new applicants because they wont get hearing date at the time of their cases referred to IRB. Normally all applicants gets hearing date which will be postpone later. but now people will not have hearing date from the beginning of their claims.