+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible Strike Action by IRCC employees starting mid-April

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
Working from home has seen productivity increases for many in the public sector, how is that bad use of tax dollars?
I'll like to see the figures for that claim. I did the zoom oath ceremony and it was one of the most chaotic things I have ever seen, I can only imagine how it will be for staff trying to hold meetings while dogs are barking in the background and kids crying for attention.Like someone else commented, security. How can organizations like IRCC and CRA ensure that critical information doesn't fall into wrong hands when the staff are working at home?

oboyzee

Star Member
Apr 9, 2023
You can't be sure of that because you don't know that for a fact. Even if someone on the "inside" may have given you that information, that still doesn't make it fact. We have never had a strike like this before where immigration was affected in this way, because even with the pandemic, ceremonies were simply moved virtually. We wont know how things will proceed once the strike is over, and even the officers won't know how ceremonies or other processing files will be prioritized until they receive direction and do an inventory.
Dude I'm 100 percent sure!!!
I'll come back here to remind you when the time comes.

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I'll like to see the figures for that claim. I did the zoom oath ceremony and it was one of the most chaotic things I have ever seen, I can only imagine how it will be for staff trying to hold meetings while dogs are barking in the background and kids crying for attention.Like someone else commented, security. How can organizations like IRCC and CRA ensure that critical information doesn't fall into wrong hands when the staff are working at home?
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/210401/dq210401b-eng.htm

People have been working from home for years now. They have been more productive and maintaining security standards so your beliefs are just that... Your own personal beliefs not rooted on facts or reality. Or do you think ircc and CRA have not been already working from home for years now? The majority of goc has been working from home until last December when Mona made the RTO call.

Things like oaths and many other activities would be back to being in person. This is what makes sense, give managers flexibility to optimize their team's resources and adapt to their particular reality. It would also save tax payers money in buildings.. many buildings are no longer available for the goc - lease was not renewed - so desk sharing is the only reality going forward for many public servants anyway.

Cece450

Star Member
Apr 18, 2023
Dude I'm 100 percent sure!!!
I'll come back here to remind you when the time comes.
lol okay then. The strike is picking up tomorrow and they will be picketing at more locations, plus one of their bargaining unions have left the table and won't be negotiating this week, plus based on both sides being far apart, the strike looks like it's going to carry on for a while. If your oath gets cancelled you will be at the back end of the queue like everyone else who got cancelled lol. Good luck.

oboyzee

Star Member
Apr 9, 2023
lol okay then. The strike is picking up tomorrow and they will be picketing at more locations, plus one of their bargaining unions have left the table and won't be negotiating this week, plus based on both sides being far apart, the strike looks like it's going to carry on for a while. If your oath gets cancelled you will be at the back end of the queue like everyone else who got cancelled lol. Good luck.
Haha I actually don't care about whatever they do, my British passport is enough for me. I applied to become a citizen because my wife is Canadian and she wanted me to become a Canadian too.

piotrqc

Aug 10, 2020
Haha I actually don't care about whatever they do, my British passport is enough for me. I applied to become a citizen because my wife is Canadian and she wanted me to become a Canadian too.
Of course, with a strong passport like yours, your ceremony could even be postponed for 10 years, it will not affect you... But not everyone has your luck: People with passports more '' exotics'' suffer from this situation, and are not able, for example, to join suffering or dying family members, to travel freely, or to take advantage of professional opportunities requiring travel (when an exotic passport requires a visa to go somewhere = it terribly reduces the possibility of doing it with the deadlines), or even of applying for certain job positions...

A little empathy, is it difficult to have?

piotrqc

Aug 10, 2020
I hear the news constantly. There is pressure from the Sudanese lobby in Ontario asking for a special program to bring their family... If things get complicated in Sudan, it could happen like what happened for Ukraine, Afghanistan, Hong Kong and other areas of tension in the world... In short, if that happens, you have to plan even more delays, in addition to the backlog of the strike, there will be another backlog to prioritize the Futures close to the Canado -Sudanese....

Reactions: yyzstudent

Cece450

Star Member
Apr 18, 2023
I hear the news constantly. There is pressure from the Sudanese lobby in Ontario asking for a special program to bring their family... If things get complicated in Sudan, it could happen like what happened for Ukraine, Afghanistan, Hong Kong and other areas of tension in the world... In short, if that happens, you have to plan even more delays, in addition to the backlog of the strike, there will be another backlog to prioritize the Futures close to the Canado -Sudanese....
The departments that process refugees are different from citizenship. Citizenship applicants/ceremonies will have their own delays in their respective department and have nothing to do with a humanitarian crisis. That's a completely different department that handles that.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
The departments that process refugees are different from citizenship. Citizenship applicants/ceremonies will have their own delays in their respective department and have nothing to do with a humanitarian crisis. That's a completely different department that handles that.
If there is an overload of refugees they will reallocate officers to process those. Out of humanitarian reasons they kind of have priority.

Cece450

Star Member
Apr 18, 2023
If there is an overload of refugees they will reallocate officers to process those. Out of humanitarian reasons they kind of have priority.
Canada will not take in every single refugee they will be migrating to different countries. My initial comment still stands. WE won't know how things play our until the strike is over

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Not only is it a pay hike they want, and quite a good one. They want to be able to work from home.

Think about it for a minute. Do we really want them to work on sensitive files, containing personal information, which could be severely damaging for an individual, if it ends up in the wrong hands, and do this from home? Sure, highly secured VPNs etc but who says other people could be there and access these files. Be it CRA or IRCC working on my stuff.

I’m certainly not OK with it.

It seems to be their big ticket item that they can’t get through, but is a deal breaker in negotiations.
Thats not one of the terms of collective agreement, working from home is not one of them...

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Are they blue eyes?