+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible Strike Action by IRCC employees starting mid-April

Cece450

Star Member
Apr 18, 2023
I totally understand that there are legitimate urgencies. I may or may not be in that situation in the summer.

There are those who are not in an urgent situation who are being a little entitled, to be blunt.
How are they being entitled?? Literally everyone has the right to be angry and frustrated. You can't qualify one persons situation as urgent in order to discredit others who may not seem as urgent. As someone else commented, you don't know someone else's story. Everyone who has gone through the Canadian immigration system knows exactly how challenging and expensive it can be. So yes, just as a refugee claimant might be suffering, there are others who have made huge financial investments to get here and may actually lose money if their applications are not processed in the timely matter that was reflected in their application. To call people entitled for complaining and being bummed out that their ceremonies may be delayed makes it sound like they were just handed citizenship without working for it. EVERYONE suffers here, not just some.

oboyzee

Star Member
Apr 9, 2023
How are they being entitled?? Literally everyone has the right to be angry and frustrated. You can't qualify one persons situation as urgent in order to discredit others who may not seem as urgent. As someone else commented, you don't know someone else's story. Everyone who has gone through the Canadian immigration system knows exactly how challenging and expensive it can be. So yes, just as a refugee claimant might be suffering, there are others who have made huge financial investments to get here and may actually lose money if their applications are not processed in the timely matter that was reflected in their application. To call people entitled for complaining and being bummed out that their ceremonies may be delayed makes it sound like they were just handed citizenship without working for it. EVERYONE suffers here, not just some.
Spot on buddy!!

cara269

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Roughly six days, with only three more remaining now. They can turn to other unions for financial help, but not sure if those contributions would be sufficient to drag the strike on for more than a few days. Treasury is using delay tactics and waiting to see when the union would fold. The union on the other hand is getting angrier with time. Remains to be seen how far they would be willing to go. But based on their approach so far, the government does not seem to be in any rush to wrap this up. End of the day, as always, public would suffer.
Your words make so much sense and to think our Prime Minister is going to NY this week for a Star -Studded Global Citizen Summit.

Reactions: 747-captain

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I'm in the same boat as you, urgent family matter and no passport. Did yo hear back from them? What was the reason you mentioned?
They only accept serious illness or death in family as a valid reason, and only if you cannot obtain a passport in your current nationality (proof required). I got the acknowledgement but then the strike hit and it's all stuck.

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
Hmm...this presents a complicated political scenario as well. Public will be angry if the service interruptions are not back soon. The only way that is possible is a back-to-work legislation or getting the deal done (which is moving slowly right now, considering the implications). NDP said it won't back BTW legislation, and the conservatives don't have any incentive to back it. So does this mean there is a possibility that the current government would fall (resulting in a reelection)? Is it plausible for the liberals to just let things be on a standstill? The longer it takes, the harder it will become to get the parties to agree to a deal.
Regardless of what that PSAC guy says (most of it is just PR bullsh*t anyways), they simply cannot sustain themselves financially for more than 2 or so weeks (at the best, and mayyyybe 3, if they get some help from other unions etc.). That is the mathematical reality!!

And even if they could HYPOTHETICALLY go on forever, does anyone think that these workers can survive for months on end on $375 a week????? They would literally be out on the streets, homeless and hungry. Not gonna happen!! I say 3 weeks in the ABSOLUTE worst case scenario!

sumeet169

Jul 27, 2018
Regardless of what that PSAC guy says (most of it is just PR bullsh*t anyways), they simply cannot sustain themselves financially for more than 2 or so weeks (at the best, and mayyyybe 3, if they get some help from other unions etc.). That is the mathematical reality!!

And even if they could HYPOTHETICALLY go on forever, does anyone think that these workers can survive for months on end on $375 a week????? They would literally be out on the streets, homeless and hungry. Not gonna happen!! I say 3 weeks in the ABSOLUTE worst case scenario!
I also think that if the strike goes on for more than a week, the govt may face financial loses that will be close to the salary hike PSAC is demanding. So they need to solve it ASAP.

Reactions: 747-captain

cara269

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FAM
At this point my cancelled virtual oath was on Thursday 21st I’ll be happy with my application cancelled and my money back , reapply when all this shit show settles with all its delays , already booked my vacation in July and I’m happy with using my PR status to come back in Canada .
Keeping my PR status for couple years .I’m fed up

segunalad

Apr 20, 2023
It looks like both sides are just sabotaging the negotiations.
Now it is hard to tell who is lying and who is telling the truth...I think both parties are; it's a political game they are playing. Nevertheless the end of the statement said they are back to the negotiation table after Chris Aylward, president of the Public Service Alliance of Canada had the press briefing. Tough times ahead or do you see light at the end of the tunnel?

sumeet169

Jul 27, 2018

I am hearing even the employees are getting fed up because they wont be paid and many didnt want to be on strike. They cant go to work even if they want to. I wonder who is winning in this?

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
I am hearing even the employees are getting fed up because they wont be paid and many didnt want to be on strike. They cant go to work even if they want to. I wonder who is winning in this?
Yes, that's exactly what's going on! The whole thing stinks of deception and corruption by these union bosses. Just 35% of these workers were "allowed" to vote on the strike!

According to reports, they used sneaky tactics to limit the number of people that could vote (wrong emails, severely shortening the number of days ....etc. etc.).

There are 155,000 workers. Only about 40,000 or so voted, and only 80% of those 40,000 supported the strike. That means only around 32,000 out of 155,000 were for the strike! Think about that for a second!!

I wouldn't be surprised if most of these people who did not get a chance to vote, would NOT want to be on strike! Considering what they're being offered is pretty good, all things considered! But the union leadership is, of course, making insanely outrageous demands, that even most sane workers know is beyond reasonable!

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Full report from the Globe and Mail:
(paywall): https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-psac-head-decries-slow-pace-of-talks-with-federal-treasury-board-calls/
(archive): https://archive.is/PuxnM

La réponse du Gouv du Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/news/2023/04/the-governments-only-goal-is-to-negotiate-a-fair-agreement-at-the-bargaining-table.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=smo&utm_content=&utm_campaign=&hsid=ea652b7f-12de-4eee-a845-920c1442ad09

Interesting that the Treasuryboard and PSAC are not on the same page... It feels like that both parties want to drag it out as much as they can while they try to see how the public reacts. If it gets to a stage of public outcry like the passport situation last summer, the governement is going to have to put its skates on!

Last edited: