+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible Strike Action by IRCC employees starting mid-April

sumeet169

Jul 27, 2018
Yes, that's exactly what's going on! The whole thing stinks of deception and corruption by these union bosses. Just 35% of these workers were "allowed" to vote on the strike!

According to reports, they used sneaky tactics to limit the number of people that could vote (wrong emails, severely shortening the number of days ....etc. etc.).

There are 155,000 workers. Only about 40,000 or so voted, and only 80% of those 40,000 supported the strike. That means only around 32,000 out of 155,000 were for the strike! Think about that for a second!!

I wouldn't be surprised if most of these people who did not get a chance to vote, would NOT want to be on strike! Considering what they're being offered is pretty good, all things considered! But the union leadership is, of course, making insanely outrageous demands, that even most sane workers know is beyond reasonable!
I wont be surprised to know if the opposition is delaying the Union to come to a conclusion.

sumeet169

Jul 27, 2018
Full report from the Globe and Mail:
(paywall): https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-psac-head-decries-slow-pace-of-talks-with-federal-treasury-board-calls/
(archive): https://archive.is/PuxnM

La réponse du Gouv du Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/news/2023/04/the-governments-only-goal-is-to-negotiate-a-fair-agreement-at-the-bargaining-table.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=smo&utm_content=&utm_campaign=&hsid=ea652b7f-12de-4eee-a845-920c1442ad09

Interesting that the Treasuryboard and PSAC are not on the same page... It feels like that both parties want to drag it out as much as they can while they try to see how the public reacts. If it gets to a stage of public outcry like the passport situation last summer, the governement is going to have to put its skates on!
There really needs to be a mediator for this talks or may be the union wants to see the PM at this meeting

Reactions: irinaaas11

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
How are they being entitled?? Literally everyone has the right to be angry and frustrated. You can't qualify one persons situation as urgent in order to discredit others who may not seem as urgent. As someone else commented, you don't know someone else's story. Everyone who has gone through the Canadian immigration system knows exactly how challenging and expensive it can be. So yes, just as a refugee claimant might be suffering, there are others who have made huge financial investments to get here and may actually lose money if their applications are not processed in the timely matter that was reflected in their application. To call people entitled for complaining and being bummed out that their ceremonies may be delayed makes it sound like they were just handed citizenship without working for it. EVERYONE suffers here, not just some.
Word by word what I wanted to say! Some people on here getting preachy is really aggravating.

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
Without a doubt, this is a difficult situation for the public. What makes it worse is it comes at the heal of a 3-year pandemic that ground everything almost to a halt. Missed weddings, funerals, graduations, job opportunities, vacations, and even peace of mind. And just when things began to open up and processing times began to move, this happens. The anger and frustration are understandable, even justified. But that's only part of the story. I support labor unions (everywhere) and this work stoppage was neither unforeseen nor unjustified. The Trudeau government is the villain here so in between extended moments of frustration and indignation, spare a thought for the union workers. If you feel very strongly about ending this, contact your MP and tell them to force the government to work with the union to end this.

Good luck to all and hope this ends quickly.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Without a doubt, this is a difficult situation for the public. What makes it worse is it comes at the heal of a 3-year pandemic that ground everything almost to a halt. Missed weddings, funerals, graduations, job opportunities, vacations, and even peace of mind. And just when things began to open up and processing times began to move, this happens. The anger and frustration are understandable, even justified. But that's only part of the story. I support labor unions (everywhere) and this work stoppage was neither unforeseen nor unjustified. The Trudeau government is the villain here so in between extended moments of frustration and indignation, spare a thought for the union workers. If you feel very strongly about ending this, contact your MP and tell them to force the government to work with the union to end this.

Sure if the Conservative party was in power, they will be cutting blank cheques to the union workers AND increasing their salary.

irinaaas11

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019

Some food for thought - https://financialpost.com/fp-work/psac-strike-ottawa-future-generations-pay-price

irinaaas11

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
From 2015 to 2021, public sector wage costs increased by more than 50 per cent, from $38 billion to $58 billion -> This is crazy
Also - https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/default/files/comparing-government-and-private-sector-compensation-in-canada.pdf is a 2015 study but still applies today.

"The public sector wage process is largely determined by political factors, while the process in the private sector is largely guided by market forces and profit constraints. These differences are amplified by the monopoly environment in which the public sector operates versus the competitive environment of the private sector. The Canadian research examining wage differences between the two sectors over the past three decades consistently indicates a premium for public sector workers. The specific wage premiums vary depending on the data source and time period. What is clear, however, is that a premium exists."

So they want a premium on top of the existing premium. Ok cool!

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
this is a general thread on strike action, but unfortunately it as been taken over by people complaining about cancelled oath ceremonies and these people don't care about anybody but themselves. They certainly don't care about people who have applications stuck for 2 years+ and how the strike will effect the bscklog.
All applications are being affected by the strike. Those that have been in progress for years unfortunately, those that have been just submitted and those that are pending oath ceremony. All those who have applied and are yet to have the Canadian passport in their hands are worried.

To your "...these people don't care about anybody but themselves." comment - do you care about the 'welfare' of the public workers and want them to be on strike forever? Or are you willing to withdraw your application so that an officer's time can be devoted on evaluating someone else's application?

Last edited:

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Before making idiotic comments you should learn a person's personal situation. As a matter of fact, I have withdrawn my application because I have been waiting for over 2 years for a decision with no progress whatsoever. I have just recently resubmitted because they are processing new application quicker and are not really concerned about clearing the backlog.
So your idiotic comments about people waiting for their oath ceremonies hijacking this thread was after checking with each and everyone of them about their individual situation? Among those, there might be people who would have to travel for family or financial emergencies. Your idiotic comment indicated that everyone should only worry about those whose applications have been stuck in backlog for years and the rest of the people's situations/concerns are not valid.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Don't really understand your point on me being willing to withdraw my application so that an officer's time can be devoted on evaluating someone else's application since I have not received one single update since applying and my GCMS notes indicate that nobody has even started looking at my 2+ year application. So obviously my application is not taking any officer's time away from somebody else's application. Secondly, my point is that everyone should be treated equally when applying for citizenship. But it seems nobody here cares about those applicants that are truly in the dark and suffering because of all the delays. And your idiotic comments proves that point.
I definitely feel bad that your application was stuck in progress for over 2 years. That being said, your post did not indicate anywhere that everyone should be treated equally. You mentioned that people who are waiting for oath are hijacking this thread and that they don't care about applicants who have their applications pending for 2+ years. Yes, we all feel bad for such applicants! But your post indicated that we all should stop worrying about our own applications no matter which stage it is at and only worry about those in backlog. How is that even possible or realistic? Before calling others idiots, read what you posted.