+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police clearance certificate?express entry

haribo

Feb 4, 2016
Hi there, I have a question regarding the background check necessary from the FBI. I read everywhere that "For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country."

I lived for 9 months in the US back in 2011, I requested an FBI history summary check when I first started working on my PR application. Back in September my application got cancelled due to a missing document linked to my education. By the time I got pulled out of the pool again (December), I had visited another time the US for a week on vacation. I included that trip on my new application. However, because of the time required by the FBI to issued another background check I did not include an updated report.

Is "living" in a country the same as "visiting" when it comes to background checks? Should I have requested a new background check from the FBI at the time before submitting my application after my quick visit?

Thank you for your help, it is very appreciated.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
haribo said:
Hi there, I have a question regarding the background check necessary from the FBI. I read everywhere that "For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country."

I lived for 9 months in the US back in 2011, I requested an FBI history summary check when I first started working on my PR application. Back in September my application got cancelled due to a missing document linked to my education. By the time I got pulled out of the pool again (December), I had visited another time the US for a week on vacation. I included that trip on my new application. However, because of the time required by the FBI to issued another background check I did not include an updated report.

Is "living" in a country the same as "visiting" when it comes to background checks? Should I have requested a new background check from the FBI at the time before submitting my application after my quick visit?

Depends on the discretion of the officer. While a week's stay might be acceptable in the eyes of the VO, we cannot be sure. Suggest you to consider applying for a fresh FBI PCC.

PiyushAgrawal06121985

Oct 20, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
Nomination.....
10-02-2016
AOR Received.
14-03-2016
Med's Request
None
Med's Done....
20-02-2016
I agree, its the discretion of the officer handling your case. Ideally, the PCC is supposed to be from the last date of visit to the country. It does not specify whether the purpose of travel was business / leisure.

shagdash

Sep 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kindly help seniors - my spouse has traveled multiple times to Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Malaysia and Thailand on a business or tourist or visit visa, each time for a period ranging from 2-3 days to 2 weeks in the last 15 years. Overall, the total time spent in each country would have extended to 6 months or above. Will he need to apply for PCC from all these countries even if he has never LIVED in these countries, just traveled there for the purpose of visit or business?
Thank you in advance for a response.

sushsmart15

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
09-02-2017
Nomination.....
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
09-01-2017
Med's Done....
09-02-2017
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-017
shagdash said:
Kindly help seniors - my spouse has traveled multiple times to Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Malaysia and Thailand on a business or tourist or visit visa, each time for a period ranging from 2-3 days to 2 weeks in the last 15 years. Overall, the total time spent in each country would have extended to 6 months or above. Will he need to apply for PCC from all these countries even if he has never LIVED in these countries, just traveled there for the purpose of visit or business?
Yes he would need to get it from all these countries. Start the process asap.

mamaJM

Star Member
Mar 15, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-04-2016
Doc's Request.
FBI: 06-05-2016
AOR Received.
21-04-2016
Passport Req..
07-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-01-2016
LANDED..........
07-01-2017
haribo said:

We have a similar situation, CIC wanted an updated report. You can send another FBI application and upload the details of the application with a LOE and upload via CSE, requesting for time to obtain your FBI PCC and plead that you weren't sure if the old report is valid. Your timelines might be delayed but at least you won't be rejected. Good luck!

Deutschland

Star Member
May 18, 2016
Hello Friends,

I have lived in multiple cities within one country. Do I need police clearance certificate from all these cities or just from my home town will be enough?

PiyushAgrawal06121985

Oct 20, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
Nomination.....
10-02-2016
AOR Received.
14-03-2016
Med's Request
None
Med's Done....
20-02-2016
Deutschland said:
Hello Friends,

I have lived in multiple cities within one country. Do I need police clearance certificate from all these cities or just from my home town will be enough?
You need a country specific PCC. For example, in India the passport office provides a Police Clearance Certificate for the duration of stay in India.

I am guessing you are from Germany. If so, this link should help.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/europe/germany.asp

Deutschland

Star Member
May 18, 2016
Dear Friends,

Thanks Piyush. I have another question. I have been to UAE for vacation for one month. Will the CIC ask for a police certificate for my stay in UAE? Thanks

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Deutschland said:
Dear Friends,

Thanks Piyush. I have another question. I have been to UAE for vacation for one month. Will the CIC ask for a police certificate for my stay in UAE? Thanks
Since it is only for a month, no you will not need PCC for your stay in UAE.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
shagdash said:
shagdash, you should get a PCC for the countries where the total time spent in that country is more than 6 months in the 10 YEAR period prior to applying. If you are less than 6 months in that period you dont need to get the PCC. However, if its close to 6 months I would be cautious and get one anyway.

ananyaram

Star Member
May 29, 2013
toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/02/2016
Doc's Request.
YES
AOR Received.
24-11-2016
IELTS Request
no
does i need to sub,it usa pcc , my wife staying in usa from may 5th only when she applied sponserd application from india she submitted indian pcc after application submitted she visitied usa on b2 visa and applied canda visitor visa now once she applied her ecas application status address changed to india to usa address automatically i did nt changed that it changed by immigration officr ,, so if my wife stays in usa less than 6 mnths will they req usa pcc? or if my wife pr application in sponsershp approval stage just recived aor1 once sponsership approval done if file moved to usa visa office rather than newdelhi will they ask usa pcc? if they ask pcc can i giv explantion that she is styain here lessthan 6 months so she dont have usa pcc?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hot2Cold said:
shagdash, you should get a PCC for the countries where the total time spent in that country is more than 6 months in the 10 YEAR period prior to applying. If you are less than 6 months in that period you dont need to get the PCC. However, if its close to 6 months I would be cautious and get one anyway.
"total time spent in that country is more than 6 months in the 10 YEAR period prior to applying... "

Incorrect! All applicants and dependents MUST get PCCs for countries where they have stayed for 6 months or more (not necessarily in a row) SINCE THEY WERE 18 YEARS OLD.

Link ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
ananyaram said:
does i need to sub,it usa pcc , my wife staying in usa from may 5th only when she applied sponserd application from india she submitted indian pcc after application submitted she visitied usa on b2 visa and applied canda visitor visa now once she applied her ecas application status address changed to india to usa address automatically i did nt changed that it changed by immigration officr ,, so if my wife stays in usa less than 6 mnths will they req usa pcc? or if my wife pr application in sponsershp approval stage just recived aor1 once sponsership approval done if file moved to usa visa office rather than newdelhi will they ask usa pcc? if they ask pcc can i giv explantion that she is styain here lessthan 6 months so she dont have usa pcc?
Don't get me wrong but frame your questions and express your concerns using proper sentences. Please don't chain words together like this - it is very difficult to read and understand what exactly you are asking. Thanks for your cooperation.

1) Your spouse requires a US PCC if she stays there for 6 months or more.
2) Your spouse might not require a PCC if she doesn't stay there for 6 months or more.
3) There have been cases where applicants have stayed for less than 6 months but still were asked to submit PCC. So, please keep this in mind and plan accordingly.

If they ask you to submit PCC, you SHOULD submit it. You cannot ask for an exemption. From what I know, once an application has been submitted to CIC, foreign travels after that doesn't matter. This applies to EE applicants - I am not 100 % sure if the same applies to people who have an active sponsorship application.

PiyushAgrawal06121985

Oct 20, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
Nomination.....
10-02-2016
AOR Received.
14-03-2016
Med's Request
None
Med's Done....
20-02-2016
rajkamalmohanram said:
"total time spent in that country is more than 6 months in the 10 YEAR period prior to applying... "

Incorrect! All applicants and dependents MUST get PCCs for countries where they have stayed for 6 months or more (not necessarily in a row) SINCE THEY WERE 18 YEARS OLD.

Link ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp
Thanks Raj. Even I wasn't aware that older than 10 years history for PCC was applicable.