softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

As per my 2018 income, I can only sponsor one of my parents this year. Is it allowed, or do I need to wait till next year when I will be eligible to sponsor both of them?

Thanks in advance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

As per my 2018 income, I can only sponsor one of my parents this year. Is it allowed, or do I need to wait till next year when I will be eligible to sponsor both of them?

Thanks in advance.
Unless the parents are not married.

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unless the parents are not married.
Sorry, I am not clear on your answer. They are both married.

On the interest to sponsor form below text is given:
Provide the names and dates of birth for each of the parents and grandparents you wish to sponsor. You won't need to provide the information of their non-accompanying spouse/partner or dependent children.

So can I apply for one of my parents & consider other one as non-accompanying Spouse? & will I be able to apply for another parent next year when I will be eligible to sponsor 1 additional member?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Sorry, I am not clear on your answer. They are both married.

On the interest to sponsor form below text is given:
Provide the names and dates of birth for each of the parents and grandparents you wish to sponsor. You won't need to provide the information of their non-accompanying spouse/partner or dependent children.

So can I apply for one of my parents & consider other one as non-accompanying Spouse? & will I be able to apply for another parent next year when I will be eligible to sponsor 1 additional member?
No. you cannot. This instruction is for the interest to apply, not the actual application.

So to be clear, unless your parents are divorced or legally seperated or one of them is already passed, you cannot calculate your income to sponsor 1 of them.
Both parents have to go through medical, crimial and background check even if one at the end decided not to accompany the other to land/move to Canada.

• Sad
Reactions: softwaretesting

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No. you cannot. This instruction is for the interest to apply, not the actual application.

So to be clear, unless your parents are divorced or legally seperated or one of them is already passed, you cannot calculate your income to sponsor 1 of them.
Both parents have to go through medical, crimial and background check even if one at the end decided not to accompany the other to land/move to Canada.
Thanks, I confirmed this information on CIC website as well (including relevant section for anyone else who may have same query in future):

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1460&top=14

To calculate your family size, include:
  • the parents and grandparents you want to sponsor and their dependants (spouse or partner and dependent children). You must also include
    • any dependent children who won’t come to Canada with your parents or grandparents
    • your parent or grandparent’s spouse or partner, even if they won’t come to Canada
    • your parent or grandparents’ separated spouse

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, I confirmed this information on CIC website as well (including relevant section for anyone else who may have same query in future):

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1460&top=14

To calculate your family size, include:
  • the parents and grandparents you want to sponsor and their dependants (spouse or partner and dependent children). You must also include
    • any dependent children who won’t come to Canada with your parents or grandparents
    • your parent or grandparent’s spouse or partner, even if they won’t come to Canada
    • your parent or grandparents’ separated spouse
Essenrially you don't qualify unril you can sponsor both parents.

Reactions: softwaretesting

nitinvashi

Oct 14, 2020

The Canadavisa.com mention single parent can be sponsored. Check question 18 in attached link
https://www.canadavisa.com/parent-and-grandparent-sponsorship.html#gs.iopjge

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010