+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

passport expires before 3 years of PGWP--extend PGWP experience

kelsisun

Aug 11, 2016
Hi guys, I just want to share my experience of extending my post graduate work permit (PGWP) in a situation that my old passport expired before the granted period of PGWP.

I graduated in June 2015 with a bachelor degree from university and was supposed to get a 3-year PGWP, but the first PGWP was issued for only one and half years because my old passport would expire in April 2017. In this situation, there is a remark on the bottom of my first PGWP saying "document issued to passport expiry; must be renewed....". I heard this is the only situation that you are allowed to renew your PGWP. After I got my renewed passport, I called CIC and they told me that I had to apply it again just like what I did for my initial PGWP, but the difference is, for this time, I have to mail my documents to them instead of applying online. I found the document package for mailing application on CIC website and paid the application fees ($255) again and mailed everything to the address they indicate. The processing time was around 160 days and I got my renewed PGWP in 163 days. The good news is, they re-issued 3 years to me instead of extending the remaining 1.5 years to me, so my PGWP expires in 2020.

Note: 1. The documents that I sent for the new PGWP application were just what I sent initially, but I attached an explanation letter of why I need to apply again for the PGWP and a copy of new passport.
2. If you pay your fee through their online payment, remember to attach your receipt to them.

It is not a complicated and annoying process except paying the fee again. Hope you all get this done successfully.

Thanks~

Alanna

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
Thanks for sharing. It does give us a heads up on what to expect when faced with the same situation.

Alanna

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
One thing - since the processing time given is 160 days (gosh, why does renewal of PGWP via mail take this long while the online first-time application of PGWP takes way shorter processing time period) and yours was to expire in April 2017, does that mean you had already been preparing for the renewal latest by November/ December 2016?

kelsisun

Aug 11, 2016
yes, I renewed my passport in May 2016 and submitted the application for PGWP in Oct 2016, and got it mailed to me on Feb 3, 2017. My suggestion is to renew the PGWP as soon as you get your renewed passport. I am not sure whether you can still work when your old PGWP has expired and pplication for new PGWP is in process. When I applied for my initial PGWP, it took me about 4 months to get the physical paper mailed to me but I could work because CIC allows us to work if you've applied for PGWP but not got it yet. I provided the application confirmation letter and the website on CIC with the allowing information to my company's HR, so I started to work without a work permit on hand. But for this renew one, since it is mailed to CIC, you won't receive any confirmation or update of the process, so it will be difficult to provide your HR with the proof of application. So it is better to prepare the time and get it done before your old one expired.
Alanna said:
One thing - since the processing time given is 160 days (gosh, why does renewal of PGWP via mail take this long while the online first-time application of PGWP takes way shorter processing time period) and yours was to expire in April 2017, does that mean you had already been preparing for the renewal latest by November/ December 2016?

mzlolo

Feb 25, 2017
I am doing a two year course. my passport has only two years left on it and it will expire a month before the expected graduation date. Do I renew my passport midway before I graduate or after I graduate? If I want to apply for a post graduate work permit , what will be your advice?

Thank you.

sunny_guyed

Jul 5, 2016
mzlolo said:
I am doing a two year course. my passport has only two years left on it and it will expire a month before the expected graduation date. Do I renew my passport midway before I graduate or after I graduate? If I want to apply for a post graduate work permit , what will be your advice?

Thank you.

Renew your passport ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alanna

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
kelsisun said:
yes, I renewed my passport in May 2016 and submitted the application for PGWP in Oct 2016, and got it mailed to me on Feb 3, 2017. My suggestion is to renew the PGWP as soon as you get your renewed passport. I am not sure whether you can still work when your old PGWP has expired and pplication for new PGWP is in process. When I applied for my initial PGWP, it took me about 4 months to get the physical paper mailed to me but I could work because CIC allows us to work if you've applied for PGWP but not got it yet. I provided the application confirmation letter and the website on CIC with the allowing information to my company's HR, so I started to work without a work permit on hand. But for this renew one, since it is mailed to CIC, you won't receive any confirmation or update of the process, so it will be difficult to provide your HR with the proof of application. So it is better to prepare the time and get it done before your old one expired.
Understood. Thanks again for sharing the tips.

Alanna

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
sunny_guyed said:
Simple as it is: renew your passport first then apply for pgwp.
Yup it's clear to me that this is the way to go to avoid more headaches down the road.

sunny_guyed

Jul 5, 2016
mzlolo said:
Even if I still have two years left in the passport?
That is completely fine! When you get your renewed passport please do not return your old one as the old one may contains stamps and visas and so on that are not expired! Understood??

kelsisun

Aug 11, 2016
sunny_guyed said:
That is completely fine! When you get your renewed passport please do not return your old one as the old one may contains stamps and visas and so on that are not expired! Understood??
Hi, the best idea will be to renew your passport before you apply for the work permit, but my home country doesn't allow us to renew passports if your passport has more than 6 months validity. So my case was:
old passport would expire in April 2017, so there were about 1.5 years of validity when I applied for my original PGWP. I contacted the embassy but they didn't allow me to get a new one. But I need the PGWP as soon as possible to be able to work since study permit expires by Aug 2015. Therefore, I had no choice but applied for the PGWP with my old passport and renewed passport, and then renewed PGWP again.

Alanna

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
kelsisun said:
Hi, the best idea will be to renew your passport before you apply for the work permit, but my home country doesn't allow us to renew passports if your passport has more than 6 months validity. So my case was:
old passport would expire in April 2017, so there were about 1.5 years of validity when I applied for my original PGWP. I contacted the embassy but they didn't allow me to get a new one. But I need the PGWP as soon as possible to be able to work since study permit expires by Aug 2015. Therefore, I had no choice but applied for the PGWP with my old passport and renewed passport, and then renewed PGWP again.
Is it the norm that the PGWP reissued will carry (another) 3 years of validity? Or that yours is an exception?

sunny_guyed

Jul 5, 2016
kelsisun said:
old passport would expire in April 2017, so there were about 1.5 years of validity when I applied for my original PGWP. I contacted the embassy but they didn't allow me to get a new one. But I need the PGWP as soon as possible to be able to work since study permit expires by Aug 2015. Therefore, I had no choice but applied for the PGWPq with my old passport and renewed passport, and then renewed PGWP again.

Sorry, but that is crazy! You basically had to pay twice to get your pgwp and then renew it again. Insane. Anyways, glad it worked out for you

kelsisun

Aug 11, 2016
Is it the norm that the PGWP reissued will carry (another) 3 years of validity? Or that yours is an exception?
Hi, that I am not sure. I don't have people with the same situation around me. Mine is granted for another 3 years. I guess if they don't give you another 3 years, you will and should at least get back the remaining years that you should have been granted caz you pay for re-application again.
We have no choice but to pay and apply again to get the time that we deserve, but don't expect them to issue another 3 years. mine was a surprise.