+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstayed my visa in USA. Will it affect my chances with Canadian Visa?

cityfolk

Apr 9, 2012
I have a different passport now. I heard Canadian Consulate would know that I previously overstayed my US Visa because, supposedly, they share the same data on such matter. IS it true?

Thank You.

J

johnedrik

I am in the same situation but a lawyer suggested not to hide the history of the places you have lived for the past 10 years in the student visa form. Changing the passport won't suffice the purpose as they can track everything even by your new passport. good luck.

SFD

Feb 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
johnedrik said:
I am in the same situation but a lawyer suggested not to hide the history of the places you have lived for the past 10 years in the student visa form. Changing the passport won't suffice the purpose as they can track everything even by your new passport. good luck.
Just remember, one should list all the places he/she has lived more than 6 months after turning 18. The thing is that you would have to get a FBI Record.

SFD

cityfolk

Apr 9, 2012
spartan.spartacus said:
Have you applied for police clearance in FBI?
What is that and why would I need it? Do all the applicants for Canadian visa that visited the States prior need the clearance?

zdnar

Mar 25, 2012
Hi guys,

I was reading your posts and please correct me if I am wrong, so overstays in the US can apply for a Canadian Visa in the US. No need to go back to their respective home countries? I have a relative too in the US that is overstaying for more than 5 yrs. I hope anybody can shed some light on how my relative can apply for a Canadian visa while still in the US.

Thanks. 8)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
zdnar said:
Hi guys,

I was reading your posts and please correct me if I am wrong, so overstays in the US can apply for a Canadian Visa in the US. No need to go back to their respective home countries? I have a relative too in the US that is overstaying for more than 5 yrs. I hope anybody can shed some light on how my relative can apply for a Canadian visa while still in the US.

Thanks. 8)
What kind of visa (visit, study, immigration)? Also, how did your relative originally enter the US? Were they admitted to the US for at least one year (e.g. on a work permit)? Or did they enter the country as tourists?

zdnar

Mar 25, 2012
She entered as a tourist. And now we are looking for ways on how she can apply for a Canadian visa, hopefully without leaving the US. By the way, she is my Mom. I hoope you can give me more ideas. Thanks Scylla. 8)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
zdnar said:
She entered as a tourist. And now we are looking for ways on how she can apply for a Canadian visa, hopefully without leaving the US. By the way, she is my Mom. I hoope you can give me more ideas. Thanks Scylla. 8)
Because she entered the US as a tourist - this means she would have been admitted to the US for six months or less. Unfortunately this means that she cannot apply to immigrate to Canada through a US visa office. Her immigration application must be sent to her home visa office. To qualify to process her application through a US visa office, she would have had to been initially admitted to the US for a period of at least a year. See:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp

As I'm sure you're aware, you cannot sponsor your mother through family class at this time since CIC is not accepting parent or grandparent sponsorship applications.

If she was thinking of applying for a visit visa or a super visa (rather than an immigration visa) - I wouldn't bother. She's not going to be approved with the US overstay and given she's still in the US illegally. I think it will be a waste of time and money.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

zdnar

Mar 25, 2012
Thanks scylla. So I guess our only option is to wait for the parent/grandparent sponsorship to be open again. Hopefully in 2014. If this would be the case, where will I submit the application? In our home country or is it feasible in the US?

Thanks again
8)

tyler_sam

Star Member
Jun 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/04/2009
Doc's Request.
21/06/2009
Nomination.....
14/05/2010
AOR Received.
13/08/2010
IELTS Request
04/10/2010
File Transfer...
22/09/2011
Med's Request
13/05/2011
Med's Done....
16/06/2011
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
13/02/2012
VISA ISSUED...
26/03/2012
LANDED..........
LANDED 27/04/2012 RAINBOW BRIDGE BORDER
scylla said:
Because she entered the US as a tourist - this means she would have been admitted to the US for six months or less. Unfortunately this means that she cannot apply to immigrate to Canada through a US visa office. Her immigration application must be sent to her home visa office. To qualify to process her application through a US visa office, she would have had to been initially admitted to the US for a period of at least a year. See:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp

As I'm sure you're aware, you cannot sponsor your mother through family class at this time since CIC is not accepting parent or grandparent sponsorship applications.

If she was thinking of applying for a visit visa or a super visa (rather than an immigration visa) - I wouldn't bother. She's not going to be approved with the US overstay and given she's still in the US illegally. I think it will be a waste of time and money.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

HELLO, I HAVE A QUESTION AND HOPING YOU HAVE AN ANSWER OR IDEA TO THIS:
ME AND MY WIFE JUST GOT APPROVED FOR PR BUT MY WIFE HAS OVER STAYED HER STATUS IN THE U.S IS IT OKAY FOR HER TO DO HER LANDING FROM STATES? THANK YOU

roselier

Oct 5, 2012
hi guys,

i have a question i think its a little bit related to the topic. i overstayed here in US for about 7months now is it still possible to apply for a working visa in Canada? without going back to my home country?

Thank you so much.

Wanjirumadura

Aug 27, 2019
I overstay usa for year and 4month and I want to go back my country and apply for canada supose visa,it it my us overstay will effect for canada visa?