+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit for my Common-Law partner

Mar 6, 2021
Hello everyone,

I am currently helping my partner apply for an open work permit with my sponsorship. She had previously been refused a visitor's record application and received a letter stating that her status expired on feb 3rd.

When trying to apply for the work permit, she put that as the expiration date for her visitor permit, so she got the additional option to restore her status as part of the application. When we got to the document checklist, we only got the following 2 forms to fill: IMM510e, and IMM5409e. We are trying to fill the first one. When it asks you to put your current status we put in visitor but we cannot use an expiry date from before today's date.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I was under the impression that since the questionnaire asked if she wanted to restore her status that it would happen along the work permit application

Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

I am currently helping my partner apply for an open work permit with my sponsorship. She had previously been refused a visitor's record application and received a letter stating that her status expired on feb 3rd.

When trying to apply for the work permit, she put that as the expiration date for her visitor permit, so she got the additional option to restore her status as part of the application. When we got to the document checklist, we only got the following 2 forms to fill: IMM510e, and IMM5409e. We are trying to fill the first one. When it asks you to put your current status we put in visitor but we cannot use an expiry date from before today's date.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I was under the impression that since the questionnaire asked if she wanted to restore her status that it would happen along the work permit application

Thanks in advance
Just to clarify, are you a PR or citizen who is sponsoring your partner for PR status?

Mar 6, 2021
I am a work permit holder that wants to sponsor an open work permit for my partner (then do the same for PR later. I have just started a PR application)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am a Registered Nurse,how can I get Canada working permits
You don’t just get a work permit. You need your qualifications and education assessed through NNAS which takes about a year. Then you get a license for the province you want to move to. However this doesn’t get you a work permit. You need a job offer with LMIA and then closed work permit. Maybe easier to look at immigration programs like Express Entry for permanent residency than a work permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a work permit holder that wants to sponsor an open work permit for my partner (then do the same for PR later. I have just started a PR application)
She's out of status in Canada. You can't say she has visitor status in Canada - she doesn't. Is there an out of status option?

plutôt

Feb 27, 2021
bonsoir comment fére pour a voir une résidence permanente au Canada entre express je n'ai pas bon niveau de tude j'ai juste fait la première j'ai le cpe le diplôme primaire mai je suis marié et j'ai 3 enfants j'ai l'expérience de travail de 2ans et plus com actuellement je travaille et je viens d'être promu d'une catégorie je suis mécanicien des turbines hydraulique Pardon j'ai besoin qu'on m'aide pour immigré au Canada ma famille et mois merc

Mar 6, 2021
She's out of status in Canada. You can't say she has visitor status in Canada - she doesn't. Is there an out of status option?
There is an "Other" option in the IMM form. I could also not put visitor in the initial questionnaire and try that out. Thanks for your help

Mar 6, 2021
There is an "Other" option in the IMM form. I could also not put visitor in the initial questionnaire and try that out. Thanks for your help
I just checked and there is no "out of status" option or similar. I can only put a visitor status and state that it is expired. If I do that, the website asks if she wants to restore her status since 90 days haven't passed since the expiry date, but then I still get the same issue with the IMM form if I put "Visitor" and an expiry date from before today

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
bonsoir comment fére pour a voir une résidence permanente au Canada entre express je n'ai pas bon niveau de tude j'ai juste fait la première j'ai le cpe le diplôme primaire mai je suis marié et j'ai 3 enfants j'ai l'expérience de travail de 2ans et plus com actuellement je travaille et je viens d'être promu d'une catégorie je suis mécanicien des turbines hydraulique Pardon j'ai besoin qu'on m'aide pour immigré au Canada ma famille et mois merc
https://www.canada.ca/fr/immigration-refugies-citoyennete/services/immigrer-canada/entree-express.html

Mar 6, 2021
I also tried to put "Foreign National" on the IMM form but I can't fill in the dates. It validates just fine, but when uploading it throws an error with the restoration date. Using any option that allows dates forbids from putting in an expiry date from before today

Mar 6, 2021
ok, so the only way the form goes through and it gets accepted by the website is if in the form I set her status as "Other", explain that she is out of status and additionally check the "Restoration of my status as a worker" and "Application for initial work permit" boxes

Reactions: Krallopian