+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open LMO and my current status. What to do?

pultyn

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
Hi. In few words...

I had One Year Working Visa (International Experience Canada). Visa was valid until Dec 27th 2012. On Dec 10th I sent my application for visitors visa. Status is "transmitted" so I'm still waiting for answer.

Right now I found employer which want to give me LMO. It's open LMO.

What to do? What is the better way to apply for working visa? Am I visitor or 90 days after my visa expired I can apply for working visa when I am in Canada?

pultyn

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
Anybody?

My question is if employer decide to hire me and put my name on it and send paperwork to CIC, should I send my application at the same time or I can wait until he will get an answer from them which is LMO dedicated to me and after that I can just grab it and go to the nearest POE?

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just wait for the LMO with your name on it, then apply for the WP. I take it you plan to flagpole. That approach seems simplest.

pultyn

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
But what should I do with my "visitor's visa application" which is already transmitted?

In few steps:

1. I'll get LMO and contract from my future employer (it's almost ready),
2. Cancel my "Visitor's visa" application (?)
3. Send my new application for WP

Am I correct? If I will cancel my "Visitor's visa" application should I wait until they will cancel it (takes few weeks) and then I can apply for WP or ignore point 2 and instantly apply for WP?

pultyn

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
I already did it and the only think they still telling me was "it's better if you apply outside Canada". But why? It's faster and you will save money which you will spend paying for your "restoration". But for tickets I'll pay not 600$ but 3k $ :). I'll stay here ;-)

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good plan :) I imagine your priority is to activate the work permit, so once you get the LMO, just flagpole at the nearest PoE. About the visit visa - I guess you could cancel it after you're done at the PoE, but if you're not eligible for a refund it may be moot whether you do or not.

pultyn

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
What do you mean saying "Flag it at nearest PoE"? You mean to prepare all necessary documents and fill all the forms, take job offer, LMO, my resume, passports and just go to POE and apply there (pay for visa 150 + 200 for restoration) and wait these 70 days for their answer?

I am asking because I wanted to send it online. It is "open LMO". My future employer sent it last week to HRSDC and they have sent it back to him with my name on it. He just took from me my name, address in my origin country and date of birth. So better way is POE?

I'm confused a little bit right now...

Sunhabb

Star Member
Nov 29, 2012
NOC Code......
Can someone tell me what is OPEN LMO? i am pretty much confused here. What actually is for my fiance who is Nepali. What are the requirements to be done after he receives LMO? what are the doc needed for TWO AND TRVisa. ? Please help me some one. And more over the LMO IS LOW SKILLED CATAGRY, therefore can he sponser me with his workpermit? Coz i heard is low skilled cannot bring spouse abd the TWP is valid for obly 24 months and cannot even apply for PNP,? :/

pultyn

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
your spouse will not get Open Work Permit if you are low skilled worker (only wives of Long Haul Drivers can get OWP in Alberta - I have no idea if it's possible in another provinces). Take a look at Alberta Immigration Nominee Program site - there are NOC numbers (low skilled NOC) eligible for AIPNP. Good luck!

chief0422

Apr 6, 2011
You can only sponsor under Open work permit if your and fiance living together for more that 6 moths and your job falls under skilled work.

Open LMO means unnamed LMO.

Sunhabb said:
Can someone tell me what is OPEN LMO? i am pretty much confused here. What actually is for my fiance who is Nepali. What are the requirements to be done after he receives LMO? what are the doc needed for TWO AND TRVisa. ? Please help me some one. And more over the LMO IS LOW SKILLED CATAGRY, therefore can he sponser me with his workpermit? Coz i heard is low skilled cannot bring spouse abd the TWP is valid for obly 24 months and cannot even apply for PNP,? :/

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
You do not need to pay for restoration because you applied to change your status to "visitor" BEFORE your work permit expired. So you have implied status(but can't work) and can stay in Canada until a decision is made. If you are from a visa-exempt Country, you may do this:

- take the LMO, job offer, proof of meeting requirements of the job(Resume/CV, diploma/degree, training certificates, etc), $150 plus any other documents on the checklist and apply for your work permit at the border. You will need proof of status, so take your fee receipt and copy of the visitor visa application for proof of implied status.

OR

- you may apply online if you prefer.

If you obtain the work permit, you can withdraw the visitor visa application. Note that you won't receive a refund if processing has begun.

To clarify, "applying from outside Canada" can mean:
a) at the border (for visa-exempt applicants) or
b) mailing the application to a Canadian visa office outside Canada e.g. to New York/Detroit/Los Angeles or
c) applying at a Canadian visa office in your home country.

pultyn said:
What do you mean saying "Flag it at nearest PoE"? You mean to prepare all necessary documents and fill all the forms, take job offer, LMO, my resume, passports and just go to POE and apply there (pay for visa 150 + 200 for restoration) and wait these 70 days for their answer?

I am asking because I wanted to send it online. It is "open LMO". My future employer sent it last week to HRSDC and they have sent it back to him with my name on it. He just took from me my name, address in my origin country and date of birth. So better way is POE?

I'm confused a little bit right now...

hoping2b

Star Member
Apr 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:
You do not need to pay for restoration because you applied to change your status to "visitor" BEFORE your work permit expired. So you have implied status(but can't work) and can stay in Canada until a decision is made. If you are from a visa-exempt Country, you may do this:

- take the LMO, job offer, proof of meeting requirements of the job(Resume/CV, diploma/degree, training certificates, etc), $150 plus any other documents on the checklist and apply for your work permit at the border. You will need proof of status, so take your fee receipt and copy of the visitor visa application for proof of implied status.

OR

- you may apply online if you prefer.

If you obtain the work permit, you can withdraw the visitor visa application. Note that you won't receive a refund if processing has begun.

To clarify, "applying from outside Canada" can mean:
a) at the border (for visa-exempt applicants) or
b) mailing the application to a Canadian visa office outside Canada e.g. to New York/Detroit/Los Angeles or
c) applying at a Canadian visa office in your home country.
@ Senorita Bella

APPLY OUTSIDE CANADA (or letter b) is this also possible for the visitor visa holder of country not visa-exempt?

Because I read in other thread that US office like NY is not accepting online application if your not a US residents and this made me confused... other says you may do so other says you cannot... Please enlighten us. thank you.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
It is possible with a valid visitor visa. See this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp#c
Applicants for Temporary Resident Visas, Study Permits and Work Permits
You must select the visa office that serves your country of residence, your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted.

A valid visitor visa allows you to apply for certain services at Canadian visa offices in the US. However, you must do so by mailing your application.

Look under Canada(the country where you have been legally admitted) to see which services you can apply for and where to send the application - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp#c

hoping2b said:
@ Senorita Bella

APPLY OUTSIDE CANADA (or letter b) is this also possible for the visitor visa holder of country not visa-exempt?

Because I read in other thread that US office like NY is not accepting online application if your not a US residents and this made me confused... other says you may do so other says you cannot... Please enlighten us. thank you.

hoping2b

Star Member
Apr 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:
It is possible with a valid visitor visa. See this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp#c
Applicants for Temporary Resident Visas, Study Permits and Work Permits
You must select the visa office that serves your country of residence, your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted.

A valid visitor visa allows you to apply for certain services at Canadian visa offices in the US. However, you must do so by mailing your application.

Look under Canada(the country where you have been legally admitted) to see which services you can apply for and where to send the application - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp#c
SenoritaBella, by this paragraph above it means that a VISITOR VISA holder regardless if you came from the visa exempt country or not can apply for work permit in Canada Office like in Vegriville Office while inside Canada? Please correct me if I interpretted it wrong.

You also said that (A valid visitor visa allows you to apply for certain services at Canadian visa offices in the US. However, you must do so by mailing your application.)

and in PMM replied to other post he said this:

@ PMM

Is a visitor visa holder can apply for a work permit while inside Canada? After having an LMO, is it possible to submit the application online to LA or NY while inside Canada on a visitor's visa? Any enlightenment is highly appreciated.. thank you.

Unless you are a US citizen, or admitted legally to the US, or from Bermuda, St. Pierre et Miquelon, you CANT apply to NY or LA for a work permit, only study permits from Canada. So with an LMO you have to apply to the office in the country of your normal residence. If you don't require a medical, you can apply at a Border office after flagpoling.

I AM SO QUITE CONFUSED.... Which way is good to do...thank you.