27-09-10
Passport Req..
11-01-11
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-11
LANDED..........
02-04-11
angtao said:
Don't procrastinate. I did that and my process has not even begun yet. It took 10 months just to get the paperwork together for us.
I'm with you on that one. Both my wife & I can get fairly stressed out when dealing with "official" paperwork & as a result I finally got my visa at least 9 months later than I could have done! Thats 9 months more spent apart where we could have been together :'(

I would also say don't be scared by the paperwork. It looks horribly intimidating but in reality it was all very straightforward, everyt hing you need to know IS in the guide. Just take a few deep breaths & read it through several times.

My other piece of advice is to leave getting the medical until you already have all of the other main pieces of paperwork together. I got mine done early but then my wife discovered her tax office had messed up her previuos years information & it took 3 months for them to correct it. Meaning by the time my visa came though I had under 3 months before it expired. That wasn't a huge problem for me as it was just myself moving & I had no property or any other complicated things to sort before I could leave. If you have kids or pets or something like that it could be a major problem.

Ooooh & make sure you SIGN everything!!!!! In fact I sent signed but otherwise blank spare copies of my bits of the paperwork to my wife who was submitting it all. Just so she could read through it all & could correct anything just in case I'd made any mistakes.

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
The only thing I did that really seems to have helped my wife and I forget about the process while it is ongoing was this.....

I did the whole application from start to finish without ANY input from her at all.

I did all the labeling packing up etc..etc.. and we put it together as if it was going to be shipped...

Then left it on the kitchen table for a week.

We then unpacked it all and she went it through it from start to finish never having seen it all before and we actually found a couple of minor mistakes (are any of them really minor?) corrected them and repacked it for shipping.

Then I opened it again a few days later went through from start to finish and this time felt it was ready, my wife then took another look and agreed so we repacked it and shipped it.

We have piece of mind that what we sent it is the best possible application we could have sent with the amount of proof provided that we feel is enough. That is all we or anyone can do, you have no way to read the mind of whatever VO you get and what they care about or put more weight on.. so just do the best you can and be prepared to defend it if needed.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
bobshynoswife said:
(640 pages!)
Thank goodness we weren't the only ones with a big application. I think ours was 424 pages long.
Not sure how good it will do for us but I wanted to know I gave them a variety of evidence.

angtao said:
Don't procrastinate. I did that and my process has not even begun yet. It took 10 months just to get the paperwork together for us.
It took us 10 months to put the application together too. But I am a perfectionist and was constantly worrying if what I was doing wasn't what they were looking for as far as evidence goes. Then one day I just had to send it off with lots of luck and prayers. I couldn't procrastinate anymore. I still don't think that even if I worked on it for 10 years that it would be good enough to how I wanted it but hey, I am my own worst critic.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
fleo said:
You glorious, magnificent woman <3 Someone should make you President of the World or something :D
My husband has :) Seriously though, I just wanted him here really, really badly, and decided not to leave any stone unturned. We had a lot of evidence because of using regular phone, daily emails, daily skype chats, weekly postcards and letters and also a lot of evidence from 8 trips overseas. Since we were dealing with a really picky and difficult visa office, I figured bigger was better, which is not always the case.

I often joked that with all the communicating we did while we were apart that I would 'miss' him when he actually lives here with me! It is somewhat true, now that he's working and we have the kids to care for there aren't many 3 or 4 hour conversations like we used to have. On the other hand, I am much more productive now that I'm not spending 4 hours a day on skype and phone!

Iamrobot85

Aug 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
03-02-2010
Passport Req..
21-03-2011
LANDED..........
25-04-2011
I change my piece of advice! I change it to 'if you have a car, sell it before you come to Canada, don't import it! What a pain in the arse!!!'

Material

Feb 16, 2011
Iamrobot85 said:
I change my piece of advice! I change it to 'if you have a car, sell it before you come to Canada, don't import it! What a pain in the arse!!!'
LOL not sorted yet?

Iamrobot85

Aug 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
03-02-2010
Passport Req..
21-03-2011
LANDED..........
25-04-2011
I think I finally got it sorted, it was just such a headache. Landing would have been 90% easier were it not for importing my car.

cndcit

Sep 16, 2010
rjessome said:
Very good advice from Chelley. I would add one more. Read OP Manual 6. Then read it again. Then read it again. After the 3rd reading, start preparing the application.

Where can a person find these manuals?

dakonej

May 26, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chelley said:
my advice....

understand YOUR processing office... what is gospel for one, may be irrelevant to another... (for example, Kingston Jamaica near ALWAYS requests original birth certificates from the applicant and marriage certificates.).... also know what your office usually considers red flags... find out why the people who have been called for an interview were called and what questions were asked... knowing these things and preparing your application to proactively address concerns that are common will put your application one step ahead......

just my thoughts!
Excellent advice! in conclusion, a clean, crisp, well organized documentation makes good impression and saves time for the reviewing officer!

Regards.

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chelley said:
my advice....

suggestions to do this... instead of including 100 pages of chat, 100 pages of phone records, 100 pages of emails, include 2-3 pages of each (maybe 3 "sample" days of your relationship, one from early, one from middle and one from recent) and provide the quick explaination that there are 300 more pages that you can present on request....
I tend to agree with this.
I'm concerned though. I've read several times that people have 500+ pages of evidence, or years of chat logs and emails and so on.

I for example have a year of text messages I can screen capture on my iphone. However I am just including 1 capture per month and doing my best to ensure it's relevant. For example her texting me saying that she is at home cooking us dinner, or that I won't be home I left the key under the mat.

And then stating that I can provide all the years texts if requested.

So my advice to everyone would be the same....however I have not sent an application and am far from experienced. It just seems logical.

Does anyone agree/disagree? Would love to hear your thoughts

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I would agree with just sending a selection of email, text messages, and phone records. I did send all my phone records, but that was because I used a land line and each month fit on one page. Also in our case that was our main proof of contact. If you have lots of different types of contact evidence, a selection of each is good enough.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Iamrobot85 said:
I think that's a good piece of advice, not to depend too much on your representation. If you do hire someone, make sure they are in good standing and, even if they are, be skeptical of EVERYTHING they say. Not to be rude or mean but make sure that YOU are always looking out for YOU. And there has been some things that my consultant has told us that has been less than accurate. Especially in relation to time lines but other things as well. He told us that if I applied to have my visitor status extended I would most likely be denied. This, according to this forum and a few people I know who also applied for a visitor's extension, was simply not true. So, if you do hire someone, do NOT take their words as gospel truth, even though they are supposed experts.
I had to fire my immigration consultant for outright ignorance of important details, and for misrepresenting his familiarity with services in China (e.g. the difficulty of getting documents certified far from my Chnese wife's home town).

It is important to get a knowledgeable consultant, someone as interested in helping as in getting the cheque up front.

Rjessome seems such a person, and I was interested to hear her say that consultants will look over one's application for (say) $500. All the consultants I contacted after firing the first consultant wanted to do the entire job, again, at full price.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
jiyamano said:
I agree with Material. If you have any confusion regarding the forms you can just ask here or search it. You can get all the answers to clear you confusion.

Good luck,
I eventually did the application on my own, with considerable help from this forum, but would far rather have been lucky enough to find a good immigration consultant who would have saved me all that time and research.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
I had to fire my immigration consultant for outright ignorance of important details, and for misrepresenting his familiarity with services in China (e.g. the difficulty of getting documents certified far from my Chnese wife's home town).

It is important to get a knowledgeable consultant, someone as interested in helping as in getting the cheque up front.

Rjessome seems such a person, and I was interested to hear her say that consultants will look over one's application for (say) $500. All the consultants I contacted after firing the first consultant wanted to do the entire job, again, at full price.
Hey toby, thanks for the plug! The file review is not something every consultant/lawyer does. I do and I know a few others that do as well. You must have a pretty tight retainer on this because of liability. If someone gives me an application to review but witholds information that is material to the file, I have to protect myself from being sued later on. And it works better for local applicants. To do a proper review I have to see a complete copy of the file. Who wants to cover the cost of sending a big file to Vancouver and back again when they are in China! But it does work out well as long as the applicant understands what they are getting. It's a legal opinion based on what is in front of the consultant/lawyer. I won't rewrite or redo the application when I'm retained to do a file review but I will tell you where mistakes are made and what, if anything, it is lacking and how it can be enhanced, all based on the Act, Regulations and Manuals.

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -&gt; LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
One piece of advice I can give is regarding child custody for US parents.

Take care of it ASAP and don't assume CIC will care your ex hasn't see the kids in a decade.

You MUST have permission by your ex to take your joint children OR you MUST have sole legal AND physical custody, with no visitation for the ex, and no state law barriers preventing you from moving without notifying the ex.

If you can't find your ex, you have to put forth a real effort to find them. If you can't find them (or they refuse to respond to say, a facebook or myspace message so you can get their address) to have the sheriff serve them with custody modification papers, you can look into having them served by publication. Because this process can take weeks or months, procrastination is not a good thing if you want to get your PR application sent.