+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

On IEC from NZ - Now my boss wants me to stay. What next?

AndyLinde

Apr 7, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm here on the IEC form New Zealand and my 1 year is almost up. My boss in Canada wants me to stay and keep working for the company. He's prepared to do paperwork, pay fees, etc. to make this happen.

I did the "Come to Canada" questionnaire to see what I needed to do and it produced a document checklist for me in MyCIC. It all seems a bit odd to me though... The form it wants me to fill out is the 'IMM5710 - Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker'. Does that sound right? I know I can't extend my IEC, and I know I can't remain in Canada after it, as one of the conditions of entry was having already purchased exit tickets from Canada.

Then the application asks for an 'Employer Questionnaire and Declaration' and an 'Employer Payment Receipt'. The pop-up help bubble says that this is for cases where an LMIA is not required - so how does that work? From what I've read about the LMIA, it looks like it WOULD be required for me? I'm so confused. Remember, this document checklist was produced from me completing the 'Come to Canada' questionnaire.

So I'm here on an IEC visa which is almost over. I have a job offer from my current Canadian employer to stay and work (not for any particularly skilled work - just as a worker in a cafe). I'm here with my common-law partner who is a Canadian passport holder too, if that helps.

Then it also asks for 'Proof that you Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered' which is a required section, however the job I'm being offer ISN'T a regulated occupation and the help bubble clearly says 'If your intended occupation in Canada is regulated, provide evidence that the responsible provincial, territorial or professional body has granted you the required licence or certification'. So it is a required section, but my job isn't regulated - what do I do?

Is the form correct? Are these the forms I should be filling in? Please help - as there seems to be no way to ask anyone at CIC.

Thanks in Advance :)
Andy

kiwi123

Star Member
Jul 9, 2014
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 9 2014
AOR Received.
SA - 27 August 2014
Med's Done....
5 July 2014
Passport Req..
2 Dec 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18 Dec 2014
LANDED..........
15 Jan 2015
It sounds to me if you have been living with your Canadian Common law partner for at least a year you should be applying for Permanent Residency. I did it a while back and it took about 5 months all up, so you would need to probably extend your stay as a visitor for a while but afterwards you would be free to work anywhere.

If you go down that route apply outland not inland, and start getting your documents together asap because it can take a little while.

I am pretty sure you would be wasting your time trying for a work permit for a job in a cafe, and even if you did get it, it is likely to take as long anyway.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need an LMIA to extend your work permit. Note that the LMIA typically takes a few months to obtain.

All other options (including spousal sponsorship) will take quite a bit longer.

If you don't have a new work permit in hand by the time your IEC expires, you will have to stop working.

mikek27

Oct 15, 2014
kiwi123 said:
It sounds to me if you have been living with your Canadian Common law partner for at least a year you should be applying for Permanent Residency. I did it a while back and it took about 5 months all up, so you would need to probably extend your stay as a visitor for a while but afterwards you would be free to work anywhere.

If you go down that route apply outland not inland, and start getting your documents together asap because it can take a little while.

I am pretty sure you would be wasting your time trying for a work permit for a job in a cafe, and even if you did get it, it is likely to take as long anyway.
Hi guys,

I just need some advice from you guys fellow kiwis.

I activated my IEC visa on January 17th when I arrived in Vancouver (now I"m based in Calgary).

About 2 weeks after I received my Letter of Introduction back in September, Harper said they'll increase the NZ visa to 23 months. ......but of course NZers who's been issued the letter cannot participate again and can't get an extension to 23 months. So there's that.

I am currently working full time under NOC 2175.

Since I obviously won't have enough time on my work permit to gain 1 full year of canadian work experience to apply for CEC , it leaves only 2 other options : FSW and LMIA.

My company has said they'll help with my paperwork, but honestly I'm not gonna bank on that. They've already filed an LMIA for the guy sitting next to me (90 page PDF !! ), paid fees etc ...only for it to be rejected because they forgot to advertise in the job bank. They are currently re-applying for him. ...I'm going to talk to them about my paperwork very soon, but LMIA is the 2nd option to be honest.

So this leaves FSW and if I've counted correctly I have 68/100 points ...IF I get CLB-9 on my upcoming IELTS test (how difficult would it be to get CLB-9 ? )

Could you guys confirm this for me:

Age - 24 years old

Education - BSc Compsci from UoAuckland

Work - in NZ 2 years and 3 months in total (the thing is , I worked at my first post-uni job for 8 straight months, then moved on to my next job the next day without a gap and worked there for 1 year 7 months til January 17th 2015, ...will that count as continuous and 2 years ??? ...it says on the FSW req that it must be in ONE occupation....as in one employer ??)
Also, can my Canadian experience be added towards Express Entry points? So say in October when I"ll have been working in Canada for 9 months ...my total overall experience will be 3 years ...

English - I pretty much have to get CLB - 9 (7 in reading, writing, speaking and 8 in listening) to get above 67 points for FSW.

Status - not married, single

I'm honestly not sure if I'll get invited in time this year through EE. The cutoff is 453pt right now but it might drop or increase at anytime. And they might stop the draws if they've reached the quotas for 2015 (they have alot of inventory from Pre-EE days).

My IEC expires Jan 16th 2016.

Thanks in advance guys :)

vana-hb

Mar 3, 2015
Hi AndyLinde, I have got a question for you. It is offtopic so I sent it as personal message to your profilevof this forum. If you would be kind enough and look at it ... thx P