+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP on SOWP

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Hello experts

i am on PGWP and my spouse will be coming soon on SOWP.
I am employed full-time and have OHIP insurance. I wonder if my spouse can get OHIP without working for 6-months.
I am getting contradictory answers, some said their spouse got without working and some said they need 6 months of employment.
Can anyone clarify, please?

Thanks all

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello experts

i am on PGWP and my spouse will be coming soon on SOWP.
I am employed full-time and have OHIP insurance. I wonder if my spouse can get OHIP without working for 6-months.
I am getting contradictory answers, some said their spouse got without working and some said they need 6 months of employment.
Can anyone clarify, please?

Thanks all
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-2

Read the requirements. Your spouse may be eligible and you will find out when you go and apply for OHIP. If refused then she will need a full-time job and be there for at least 6 months.

sudubey

Star Member
Jun 29, 2015
They just need address proof and WP or visitor card. Make sure spouse added in lease agreement for address proof. Nothing else required

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
They just need address proof and WP or visitor card. Make sure spouse added in lease agreement for address proof. Nothing else required
so no requirement to be employed for OHIP? Spouse can get SOWP as soon as they land?

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
I went last week to register my wife with the following documents:

- Proof of address (we brought our lease agreement with both our names on it)
- Proof of employment (mine)
- Copy of my last paystub
- Her work permit
- My work permit
- My current health card
Does your spouse work? How long did you waited after she landed to Canada on SOWP?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
so no requirement to be employed for OHIP? Spouse can get SOWP as soon as they land?
Correct. If one (me or you in these examples) have a full time permanent job, the spouse is eligible for OHIP.

Make sure that the employment letter says clearly that it is a full time job (30+ hours per week), permanent, that it is in Ontario, and the salary.

sudubey

Star Member
Jun 29, 2015
For OHIP required you to be resident of Ontario, you need to prove that. They don't ask employment letter. Just address proof. Not sure why you are making it complicated with SOWP

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
For OHIP required you to be resident of Ontario, you need to prove that. They don't ask employment letter. Just address proof. Not sure why you are making it complicated with SOWP
That isn’t correct to qualify for OHIP on a WP you need to provide proof that you have full-time employment in Ontario or if on SOWP that your spouse has full-time employment in Ontario.

Reactions: fq786

ahmedidrees

Oct 21, 2020
Thanks for information.
I have a quick question, Did your spouse wait for 6 months after landing in Canada to be eligible for OHIP or you can go right after landing without waiting 6 month period?

Thanks in Advance.

ahmedidrees

Oct 21, 2020
That isn’t correct to qualify for OHIP on a WP you need to provide proof that you have full-time employment in Ontario or if on SOWP that your spouse has full-time employment in Ontario.
Thanks for information.
I have a quick question, Did your spouse wait for 6 months after landing in Canada to be eligible for OHIP or you can go right after landing without waiting 6 month period?

Thanks in Advance.

ahmedidrees

Oct 21, 2020
Correct. If one (me or you in these examples) have a full time permanent job, the spouse is eligible for OHIP.

Make sure that the employment letter says clearly that it is a full time job (30+ hours per week), permanent, that it is in Ontario, and the salary.
Thanks for information.

Thanks in Advance.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Thanks all for your replies.
I was able to get OHIP for my spouse after showing my employment letter. She didn’t had to wait for 6 months to get it

Reactions: mapleleafpranjal