+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

sg02

Star Member
Jan 7, 2017
||Long post alert||

I called BLS and got some clarification on the application, here's my experience of submitting my application for OCI+Surrender application via Purolator :
  1. Documents submitted for Passport Surrender (Toronto Jurisdiction):
    • Checklist (signed on both pages)
    • Surrender application completed online
      • Pasted one 2"x2" photo
      • Signed on both pages
    • One extra 2"x2" photo (to be on safer side)
    • Original Indian Passport
    • Copy of Indian Passport (First and Last Page)
    • Copy of Canadian Passport (Bio Page)
    • Copy of Citizenship Certificate (Front Page)
    • Copy of D/L (Address proof)
    • Copy of CoPR
    • $129.40 Bank Draft addressed to BLS International Services Inc.
  2. Documents submitted for OCI (Toronto Jurisdiction):
    • Checklist (signed on all pages)
    • OCI Application completed online
      • Relationship with Root Indian -> SELF
      • Uploaded these documents online:
        • Copy of Previous Indian passport
        • Copy of Current Canadian passport
        • Copy of CoPR (Indian Visa)
        • Copy of Marriage Certificate
    • One 2"x2" photo
    • Copy of Indian Passport (First and Last Page)
    • Copy of Canadian Passport (Bio Page)
    • Copy of Citizenship Certificate (Front Page)
    • Copy of D/L (Address proof)
    • Copy of CoPR (landing document)
    • Copy of Marriage Certificate
    • Copy of Spouse Documents (still Indian):
      • Copy of Current Indian Passport
      • Copy of PR Card (status in Canada)
      • Copy of CoPR (Landing document)
    • Bank Drafts:
      • $345 addressed to Consulate General of India, Toronto
      • $7.40 addressed to BLS International Services Inc.
    • Copy of BLS Order Confirmation (Courier Fees)
Notes:
  1. I had self-attested all copies:
    • First added the line ("This is a true copy of the original") and date on the bottom of all documents via Acrobat Reader DC.
    • Printed all documents (grayscale) and signed the physical documents for including in respective file folders (one each for 'OCI' and 'Passport Surrender' applications).
    • For uploading the 4 documents with OCI application, I added my signature via Acrobat Reader DC rather than scanning the documents again (I have a neat scanned copy of my signature for such purposes).
  2. Although I applied OCI as Self (not on the basis of Spouse or Parents), but BLS support told me that I will still need to provide these:
    • Copy of Marriage Certificate (Upload + Physical)
    • Copy of Spouse Documents (Physical)
  3. Photos:
    • The photos don't need to be stamped (like Canadian PR/Passport photos). Just need to be neat and recent as per guidelines.
    • I took a clean Photo myself and created 2"x2" image. Actually created a 4"x 6" Photo by added six of these 2"x2" images.
    • You can print such 4"x6" photos for cheap (10-40 cents from Walmart, Staples, SDM). Cut them into six of 2"x2" images.
  4. I couldn't get any appointment for BLS, Toronto (very close to my place) and I understand the $90 Courier fees (1 pickup + 2 drop-offs) could have been optimized as suggested by others, but apparently these mail-in applications are processed in BLS, Brampton. It made more sense for me to go with this option rather than picking up from BLS, Brampton.
  5. I spoke to two BLS support persons, I have already mentioned the crux above but here are some points related to Courier Fees and Bank Drafts:
    • First support person mentioned:
      • $105 courier fees (I didn't pay for this order)
      • 3 bank drafts (One for Surrender and two for OCI). I asked if I could club the BLS drafts and he said 'NO'.
    • Second support person mentioned:
      • $90 courier fees (I paid for this order)
      • Two drafts instead of three i.e. BLS drafts can be clubbed to $136.40
    • I ended up choosing the 3 bank drafts option as its free for my bank account. But most importantly I wanted to create two separate file folders.
  6. Purolator driver came with the envelope and it was big enough to fit both of the file folders. My application is delivered to BLS, Brampton and I will share the future timeline.
Yes, the instructions are complex and makes it difficult/annoying to apply but we all have to go through it. Mark my words that once everything is submitted, you will definitely feel relieved and deserve a pat on your back :)

Special thanks to @sydcarton and @rajkamalmohanram
My journey is complete. I landed in Canada as PR in Oct 2017, got the Citizenship this June 2021 and now done with the OCI as well. This forum is great and people have been really helpful. Thanks everyone. Here's my complete timeline for OCI:

Passport Surrender:

10-Aug: Purolator: Picked-up (from home)
10-Aug: BLS Tracking - No records found
10-Aug: Passport Seva Tracking - Surrender Certificate application form has been submitted.
11-Aug: Purolator: Package delivered (at BLS)
11-Aug: BLS Tracking - Application Received
17-Aug: BLS Tracking - Under process (Morning)
17-Aug: BLS Tracking - In transit from BLS Center to Consulate General (Evening)
17-Aug: Passport Seva Tracking - Passport application along with fee details have been received. The same is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate.
18-Aug: BLS Tracking - Processing at Consulate General
18-Aug: Passport Seva Tracking - Surrender Certificate application is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.
20-Aug: Passport Seva Tracking - Surrender Certificate has been granted and is available for issuance.
03-Sep: BLS Tracking - In transit from Consulate General to BLS Center
03-Sep: Passport Seva Tracking - Surrender Certificate has been printed.
06-Sep: BLS Tracking - Dispatched via Courier
06-Sep: Purolator: Picked-up (from BLS)
07-Sep: Purolator: Package Delivered (at home)

OCI:

10-Aug: OCI Services Tracking - No records found
17-Aug: BLS Tracking - Under process
24-Aug: OCI Services Tracking - Under Process
15-Sep: OCI Services Tracking - Document Printing Status Processed
16-Sep: OCI Services Tracking - Dispatched from MEA (OCI) New Delhi
16-Sep: OCI Services Tracking - Document received at Toronto
16-Sep: BLS Tracking - Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI Stamping (Afternoon)
16-Sep: BLS Tracking - Passport Ready for Collection after OCI Stamping (Evening)
17-Sep: Purolator: Picked-up (from BLS)
20-Sep: Purolator: Package Delivered (at home)

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
My journey is complete. I landed in Canada as PR in Oct 2017, got the Citizenship this June 2021 and now done with the OCI as well. This forum is great and people have been really helpful. Thanks everyone. Here's my complete timeline for OCI:

Passport Surrender:

10-Aug: Passport Seva Tracking - Surrender Certificate application form has been submitted.
17-Aug: BLS Tracking - Under process (Morning)
17-Aug: BLS Tracking - In transit from BLS Center to Consulate General (Evening)
17-Aug: Passport Seva Tracking - Passport application along with fee details have been received. The same is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate.
18-Aug: BLS Tracking - Processing at Consulate General
18-Aug: Passport Seva Tracking - Surrender Certificate application is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.
20-Aug: Passport Seva Tracking - Surrender Certificate has been granted and is available for issuance.
03-Sep: BLS Tracking - In transit from Consulate General to BLS Center
03-Sep: Passport Seva Tracking - Surrender Certificate has been printed.
06-Sep: BLS Tracking - Dispatched via Courier
06-Sep: Purolator: Picked-up (from BLS)
07-Sep: Purolator: Package Delivered (at home)

OCI:

10-Aug: OCI Services Tracking - No records found
17-Aug: BLS Tracking - Under process
24-Aug: OCI Services Tracking - Under Process
15-Sep: OCI Services Tracking - Document Printing Status Processed
16-Sep: OCI Services Tracking - Dispatched from MEA (OCI) New Delhi
16-Sep: OCI Services Tracking - Document received at Toronto
16-Sep: BLS Tracking - Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI Stamping (Afternoon)
16-Sep: BLS Tracking - Passport Ready for Collection after OCI Stamping (Evening)
17-Sep: Purolator: Picked-up (from BLS)
20-Sep: Purolator: Package Delivered (at home)
Perfect, thanks! This follows the 4 weeks for surrender and 6 weeks for OCI timeline perfectly even for mail-in application! That's good!

Congrats and all the very best!

Reactions: AKS@1987

cnonline

Star Member
Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sent on May 23, 2013. Received by CIC on May 28, 2013
AOR Received.
CPPO does not send
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
Aug 16, 2013 (@ time of PER)
Med's Request
Nov 13, 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 21, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 23, 2013. PP sent on Dec 30, 2013, received by CPPO on Jan 6, 2014.
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 23, 2013 --- Valid until Dec 5, 2014.
LANDED..........
Mar 08, 2014
Surrender and OCI Process Completed: Timeline below:

Passport Surrender
Mode: Walk-in & requested it to be picked-up (no purolator)
13-Aug (Fri): Submitted at BLS Brampton
13-Aug (Fri): checked after submission - BLS Tracking - Under process
16-Aug (Mon): In Transit from BLS Centre to Consulate General
16-Aug (Mon): Processing at Consulate General
31-Aug (Tue): Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance. (For spouse): Surrender certificate has been printed.
03-Sep (Fri): In transit from Consulate General to BLS Centre
04-Sep (Sat): Ready for collection
21-Sep (Tue): Picked up from Brampton BLS (No lines only 2 people in front of me) Took about 20 mins. to collect. Pick up is only allowed from 3pm - 4:30pm. If you are picking up on someone's behalf, be prepared to give them the signed authorized form. Sample here. You will be asked to show your ID and sign the documents received log.

OCI
Mode: Walk-in & requested it to be picked-up (no purolator)
13-Aug (Fri): Submitted at BLS Brampton
13-Aug (Fri): checked after submission - BLS Tracking - Under process
16-Aug (Mon): Processing at Consulate General
26-Aug (Thu): OCI Services - Status Enquiry - Under Process
17-Sep (Fri): OCI Number generated; Documents Printing status changed to Processed, Dispatched from MEA (OCI) & Document received at Toronto (all on same date 17Sep21) (BLS tracking status still shows Processing at Consulate General)
20-Sep (Mon): Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping
21-Sep (Tue): Passport Ready for Collection after OCI Stamping
21-Sep (Tue): Picked up from Brampton BLS (No lines only 2 people in front of me) Took about 20 mins. to collect. Pick up is only allowed from 3pm - 4:30pm. If you are picking up on someone's behalf, be prepared to give them the signed authorized form. Sample here. You will be asked to show your ID and sign the documents received log.

Last edited:

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Congrats guys on completing your immigration journey.

rockwidme

Oct 6, 2016
Hi there,

dumb question. I think I know the answer, just wanted to confirm.

I’ll be travelling to India after acquiring an OCI for the first time. My question is, do we keep the passport which was cancelled due to renunciation along with us? Or carrying the OCI book along with Canadian passport suffice when we land?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi there,

dumb question. I think I know the answer, just wanted to confirm.

I’ll be travelling to India after acquiring an OCI for the first time. My question is, do we keep the passport which was cancelled due to renunciation along with us? Or carrying the OCI book along with Canadian passport suffice when we land?
OCI booklet + Canadian Passport should suffice.

harmol

Jul 25, 2017
Hi Everyone,
I submitted my OCI application on Sept 10 as BLS Toronto. My OCI status at BLS tracking website shows "Ready for Dispatch" today and 'UnderProcess' at https://ociservices.gov.in/

I am not sure what it means. Has anyone encountered it before?

AKS@1987

Star Member
Nov 4, 2016
Hi Everyone,
I submitted my OCI application on Sept 10 as BLS Toronto. My OCI status at BLS tracking website shows "Ready for Dispatch" today and 'UnderProcess' at https://ociservices.gov.in/

I am not sure what it means. Has anyone encountered it before?
Probably your original document submitted during OCI Apply, that is returning through Purolator, thats why BLS tracking shows "Ready for Dispatch" of that Original doc.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Was just filling up the online application and was very confused with all the document upload options that showed up. Clearly the OCI site doesn’t customize the list based on your application. Also got confused with Indian Visa. But read the checklist document on BLS site and realized it is the place to upload COPR lol. Anyway

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Was just filling up the online application and was very confused with all the document upload options that showed up. Clearly the OCI site doesn’t customize the list based on your application. Also got confused with Indian Visa. But read the checklist document on BLS site and realized it is the place to upload COPR lol. Anyway
Yeah, I've been preparing for this right after I got DM lol. I knew this would be a lot of work. I started researching back then and when I was finally applying, the process was more bearable.

erable_rouge

Mar 5, 2014
Ontario
App. Filed.......
29-04-2016
Doc's Request.
05-31-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1:- 1 June 2016 ; AOR2:- 29 June 2016
IELTS Request
Sent with application
LANDED..........
3 Aug 2017
Has anybody tried booking an appointment with BLS (Toronto or Brampton) recently? The slots are full until end of September'21 and it does not allow us to scroll to the next month.

matlal

Apr 28, 2010
Ontario,Canada
Visa Office......
New Dehli
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 1,2010
AOR Received.
2nd AOR - New Delhi - April 27,2010
File Transfer...
March 24,2010
Med's Request
27-04-2011
Med's Done....
06-05-2011
Passport Req..
27-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
Feb 26 2012
Yes. I submitted my application in-person (walk-in) for both surrender and OCI on 31st August.
@rajkamalmohanram Thank you. Another question. I would like to personally go the office and drop of documents, just in case anything more than what I understand from the online instructions is necessary.

That being said, do all members need to be present or can just one person (me) submit the application for OCI and PP Surrender on behalf of my family(wife and son) . ?