+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

AKS@1987

Star Member
Nov 4, 2016
Thank you for your inputs, can you pls confirm the location where you submitted your application?
I applied in BLS Toronto in person on 20th Sept both Surrender and OCI at the same time.Also you can’t self pick up, it has to be dispatched to your Mailing address through Purolator only.

Mamin

Dec 4, 2018
In my case apart from India passport- they kept COPR original as landing documents.
That’s it you need original docs whether single or married. Applying both at same time or not. Does not matter.
Did you get back your CORP original copy from BLS after couple of week. Sometimes they couldn’t get clear information of your category under which you landed in Canada.

Did BLS clarify the reason to you?

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Hmmm that's weird. They didn't even look at my original COPR.
very curious why BLS will keep original COPR for in person application. I get it for the passport as they have to cancel it.

AKS@1987

Star Member
Nov 4, 2016
Did you get back your CORP original copy from BLS after couple of week. Sometimes they couldn’t get clear information of your category under which you landed in Canada.

Did BLS clarify the reason to you?
I applied in person yesterday only. But I will get it back from Purolator sometime between 2-4 weeks. Also they said OCI takes 2-3 months.
I didn’t ask the reason.

Mamin

Dec 4, 2018
I applied in person yesterday only. But I will get it back from Purolator sometime between 2-4 weeks. Also they said OCI takes 2-3 months.
I didn’t ask the reason.
It looks fine that they specified you the time line 2-4 weeks to get back original of your CORP.

So relax now and when you get back your original of CORP, just post your acknowledgment on this forum which may helpful for others.

I thank you for your response.

cnonline

Star Member
Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sent on May 23, 2013. Received by CIC on May 28, 2013
AOR Received.
CPPO does not send
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
Aug 16, 2013 (@ time of PER)
Med's Request
Nov 13, 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 21, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 23, 2013. PP sent on Dec 30, 2013, received by CPPO on Jan 6, 2014.
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 23, 2013 --- Valid until Dec 5, 2014.
LANDED..........
Mar 08, 2014
It looks fine that they specified you the time line 2-4 weeks to get back original of your CORP.

So relax now and when you get back your original of CORP, just post your acknowledgment on this forum which may helpful for others.

I thank you for your response.
For future OCI applicants, original COPR should not be sent by Purolator. You may carry your original COPR along with the copy of COPR if going for in-person application and even then just give the copy of COPR. Only show the original if they ask for it.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Mamin

Dec 4, 2018
For future OCI applicants, original COPR should not be sent by Purolator. You may carry your original COPR along with the copy of COPR if going for in-person application and even then just give the copy of COPR. Only show the original if they ask for it.
Yes, I too not encourage to send original documents to BLS as there is a chance of non traceability of missing the documents.

On the other hand in personal submission of OCI application if the officer ask to keep original for onward verification then one cannot deny it. They simply charge for the Purolator and assure to get it back within 2-4 weeks as we learn from above post.

Regarding old age issue, they trust you the information you provide them about your status in Canada and it’s very clear.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Yup. I don't see any instructions anywhere that asks us to submit any originals other than the Indian passport. So, there is no need to submit original COPR, original Canadian Passport, original Citizenship certificate.

Reactions: lifein360

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I applied in BLS Toronto in person on 20th Sept both Surrender and OCI at the same time.Also you can’t self pick up, it has to be dispatched to your Mailing address through Purolator only.
That's weird. That's what they told you? There is certainly an option to pickup both surrender and OCI documents. Purolator service is optional but I have heard a lot of complaints that they force you to avail that service.

sasha0007

Jul 9, 2021
That's weird. That's what they told you? There is certainly an option to pickup both surrender and OCI documents. Purolator service is optional but I have heard a lot of complaints that they force you to avail that service.
Yes I second that. BLS Toronto said that pick up isn't an option for my OCI application and I had only purolator as an option.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Guess I am going to BLS Brampton now. Ridiculous that they are asking to keep original COPR and offer no pickup service :p

Mamin

Dec 4, 2018
Guess I am going to BLS Brampton now. Ridiculous that they are asking to keep original COPR and offer no pickup service :p
I believe that pickup service needs additional manpower to appoint and to extend their office space.

So to avoid such headache they adopted this option of Purolator which is also a good income for them.

Please comment.

AKS@1987

Star Member
Nov 4, 2016
They shouldn't. This must have been a mistake, probably an administrative error.
The reason for this is - Acknowledgement Receipt for OCI Original documents and Draft Payment submitted to BLS International Services
There are 7 options
1.Indian Passport
2.Landing Paper
3.Citizenship Cert
4.OCI booklet
5.Marriage Cert
6.Birth Certificate
7.Others

I heard that Surrender Passport fee receipt considered as a (Indian Passport proof) for OCI ( when you submit Surrender and OCI simultaneously)

I believe- BLS Toronto does not consider that.

Since Original Indian Passport goes to Surrender Passport required Original Document list
So for OCI they are taking one more original document either COPR or Citizen cert or etc..

Anyway I am OK with it -I am always B+ :)
Thinking since they have to return back my Original Documents ASAP, by doing so they might open my application and process faster ;) HA HA just kidding

Last edited:
Reactions: rajkamalmohanram