+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Mamin

Dec 4, 2018
U sticker has been done away with since September 2015!

The only original document that needs to be submitted is the Indian Passport for surrender application.

The only original document that needs to be submitted is the Indian Passport for surrender application.

Mamin

Dec 4, 2018
I wonder to note that *U sticker has been done away with since September 2015!*

So how come an immigration officer at Indian port will identify the Canadian passport holder without U sticker is a genion person of holding OCI card?

Also if the holder passport number is printed in correspondent OCI booklet then what process to follow on expiry of this Canadian passport.

Thanks.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I wonder to note that *U sticker has been done away with since September 2015!*

So how come an immigration officer at Indian port will identify the Canadian passport holder without U sticker is a genion person of holding OCI card?

Also if the holder passport number is printed in correspondent OCI booklet then what process to follow on expiry of this Canadian passport.

Thanks.
You will travel with both OCI booklet and Canadian passport. U visa sticker is done away with and Indian officials at the border no longer require it. I suppose you can travel with both the expired and the new passport.

Mamin

Dec 4, 2018
You will travel with both OCI booklet and Canadian passport. U visa sticker is done away with and Indian officials at the border no longer require it. I suppose you can travel with both the expired and the new passport.
I am not convinced. Your suggestion is same like U visa sticker passport.
There must be a definite process to avoid bundle of passport to carry with OCI booklet.
Is it feasible to ask BSL - Brampton or BSL - Toronto to get right response.
You are in waiting queue to get your OCI Booklet so will you please initiate to clarify from your end Rajkamal?
Thank you dear for your prompt response.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I am not convinced. Your suggestion is same like U visa sticker passport.
There must be a definite process to avoid bundle of passport to carry with OCI booklet.
Is it feasible to ask BSL - Brampton or BSL - Toronto to get right response.
You are in waiting queue to get your OCI Booklet so will you please initiate to clarify from your end Rajkamal?
Thank you dear for your prompt response.
Well, its up to you to believe it or not. The direction is clear about the U visa sticker and I am pretty sure that is not a requirement. Also, the requirement to carry old passport has also been done away with.

https://boi.gov.in/content/overseas-citizen-india-oci-cardholder

https://www.airindia.in/u-sticker-visa-for-oci-card-holders.htm

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/oci-card-holders-no-longer-required-to-carry-old-passports-for-india-travel/article34195384.ece

https://www.outlookindia.com/website/story/india-news-explained-oci-card-holders-no-longer-required-to-carry-old-passports-for-india-travel/378771

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2021/03/30/oci-cardholders-no-longer-required-to-carry-old-passports-for-india-travel/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_Citizenship_of_India

If you want more clarification, you can go ahead and contact BLS / CGI Toronto if you want to. I am clear on what needs to be done.

Good luck.

Reactions: ajit90

Mamin

Dec 4, 2018
Again, many thanks Raj for your responds with various links.

I have gone through the links which states “
Further “requirement of carrying old and new passports along with the OCI card has been done away. Henceforth, the OCI cardholders travelling on the strength of their existing OCI card bearing old passport number are not required to carry their old passport. However, carrying a new passport is mandatory.”

The above statement is very clear to me but still have doubts that how immigration officer will recognize the traveller with new passport and without old passport which number is already existing in OCI Booklet.

rtamuli

Sep 20, 2021
Hello Friends,

I am about to apply for OCI and surrender my Indian passport. I have few questions, hope someone can provide me some inputs.
Tried going through all the checklists in BLS website, but never found the answers :(

1. How do I book an appointment at BLS (Toronto or Brampton)? I tried today and it seems no slots are available till end of sep. When does the slots open and how soon do they get filled?
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/appointmentbls/appointment.php

2. Apart from Indian passport, do we need to submit any original documents while applying for OCI and surrender old passport? I see conflicting statements regarding this. I am applying for myself only (my spouse is not applying at the moment)

3. If I opt for courier service to receive the documents only, do I get my cancelled passport and oci at the same time, or in two separate packages?

Thanks a lot in advance, your inputs will help me a lot.

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello Friends,

I am about to apply for OCI and surrender my Indian passport. I have few questions, hope someone can provide me some inputs.
Tried going through all the checklists in BLS website, but never found the answers :(

1. How do I book an appointment at BLS (Toronto or Brampton)? I tried today and it seems no slots are available till end of sep. When does the slots open and how soon do they get filled?
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/appointmentbls/appointment.php

2. Apart from Indian passport, do we need to submit any original documents while applying for OCI and surrender old passport? I see conflicting statements regarding this. I am applying for myself only (my spouse is not applying at the moment)

3. If I opt for courier service to receive the documents only, do I get my cancelled passport and oci at the same time, or in two separate packages?

Thanks a lot in advance, your inputs will help me a lot.
1. Appointments are usually hard to book. You can either mail your application or do a walk-in. Unless you go early in the morning (around 7), be prepared to wait for a while if you walk-in.

2. Indian passport is the original document I submitted. I'm single so I don't know about marriage certificate. May be someone else can clarify that for you. You don't have to submit other original documents.

3. You'll get them separately. OCI takes longer than surrender.

Reactions: rtamuli

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Again, many thanks Raj for your responds with various links.

I have gone through the links which states “
Further “requirement of carrying old and new passports along with the OCI card has been done away. Henceforth, the OCI cardholders travelling on the strength of their existing OCI card bearing old passport number are not required to carry their old passport. However, carrying a new passport is mandatory.”

The above statement is very clear to me but still have doubts that how immigration officer will recognize the traveller with new passport and without old passport which number is already existing in OCI Booklet.
Hi Mamin - that is the job of the immigration office in india ;). I concur with Raj here - no need to carry anything but your OCI booklet and passport of your new country of citizenship

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rtamuli

Sep 20, 2021
1. Appointments are usually hard to book. You can either mail your application or do a walk-in. Unless you go early in the morning (around 7), be prepared to wait for a while if you walk-in.

2. Indian passport is the original document I submitted. I'm single so I don't know about marriage certificate. May be someone else can clarify that for you. You don't have to submit other original documents.

Thanks a lot for your inputs :)

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

AKS@1987

Star Member
Nov 4, 2016

In my case apart from India passport- they kept COPR original as landing documents.
That’s it you need original docs whether single or married. Applying both at same time or not. Does not matter.

Reactions: rtamuli

AKS@1987

Star Member
Nov 4, 2016
Hi Everyone,

is there any requirements on photo that
Photo on Canada Passport should be same with OCI application??

or is it only that photo on OCI online and physical copy should be same.

rtamuli

Sep 20, 2021
In my case apart from India passport- they kept COPR original as landing documents.
That’s it you need original docs whether single or married. Applying both at same time or not. Does not matter.
Thank you for your inputs, can you pls confirm the location where you submitted your application?