25/07/2012
Med's Done....
28 March 2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Issued: 14/01/2013 Rcvd: 24/01/2013
Hi everyone

Just wanted to share my landing experience with you all. Most of you who landed before me shared your experiences and for the most part, they sounded like great, positive experiences. Mine was not so much fun.

We left Newfoundland in our U-Haul to make our move to Toronto. On the way, we veered off the highway and went to the border to flagpole. This was Valentines Day and we thought my landing would be a perfect way to celebrate it. Before we entered the USA, I asked the Canadian officer whether I should walk over or drive. I didn't want the USA officers to give us crap about our belongings because it was packed in, tied up and we didn't want it moved around. He told me there would be no problem and that to just drive through.

When we drove through, I told them we didn't want to enter the USA and that we were there to just flagpole. The man who was "taking care" of us was rude and arrogant. He took the keys to our U-Haul and made us sit down and wait.

20 minutes later, another officer came back to us and said "where's the keys to the back of the truck because I really don't feel like breaking it". We told him that we could get it for him and he said no. He told us to tell him where it was and that he would get it so we told him to look in the cup holder.

He came back after another 10 minutes or so. After an hour of waiting in total, the man gave me the relevant papers and told us to proceed through to Canada. When I went in the vehicle, everything had been gone through including my phone and my personal journal.

I find it disgusting that they're able to search your vehicle without you present. They could have planted anything in there. Not only that, but what was the point in checking our truck when we were not even going into the USA?

When we came back through to the Canadian side, we had another jerk officer. He asked why we were here and I explained our situation. He took everything from my hands and asked me what address I wanted my card to be sent to. I told him while he wrote it down. He never read it back to me or asked to check if it was correct. He left and was gone for over 20 minutes. He then came back and nodded his head which was his way of asking us to follow him. He talked to another officer and said "do these guys need to be searched?" I told him our vehicle was already searched but that we had not been into the USA anyway. He gave me my papers and said "ok, that's it".

I asked him what I needed to do next in terms of getting a social insurance number and so on and he replied by walking away. He reached over and grabbed a piece of paper that says "Welcome to Canada" - which by the way, this version that he gave me was ancient, useless and had all kinds of errors on it. It didn't tell me what I needed to know.

We left.

That was it. I became Canadian.

Of course, I am pleased that I have finally landed and that this ordeal is over with and that we can now move forward. However, I am very disappointed that my landing was a miserable experience. I am peeved at the officers for making what was supposed to be a very special day so tedious and trying. I understand they have a job to do but there is never any need to be a complete arsehole.

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
Sorry to read this story of your landing experience. Some public officials are not that pleasant as they should especially when it comes to serving people who need help. I hope your life in Canada will be more pleasant. Don't think that all Canadians look like those jerks, try to stay positive. Good luck!

Canuck20

Nov 5, 2012
Beaverton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/08/2012
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
24/09/2012
Med's Done....
24/07/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
9/05/2013
LANDED..........
24/05/2013
As a Canadian I am so sorry that you received such deplorable and uncalled for treatment on what should have been a very happy, special and memorable day. Hopefully now that you are officially a PR you will be able to forget this part of the experience and remember all the positive experiences.
I hope your move goes well. Welcome to the best country in the world. IMHO :D

greenoil

Star Member
May 3, 2012
It's typical at the border. You should have parked your U-haul and walked over. Bringing a U-haul and flagpole will raise red flag. Border Guards do have the power to search vehicles entering and leaving the country without your present. They were trained to do just that to observe how you react, what your behavior will be,...and to protect the border. Don't take it too seriously, just an experience to be a PR in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
greenoil said:
It's typical at the border. You should have parked your U-haul and walked over. Bringing a U-haul and flagpole will raise red flag. Border Guards do have the power to search vehicles entering and leaving the country without your present. They were trained to do just that to observe how you react, what your behavior will be,...and to protect the border. Don't take it too seriously, just an experience to be a PR in Canada.
Agreed. You should have walked over - you were given bad advice by the first officer.

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
Hello bonitanita

Just forget about it and proceed with a happy and constructive life!
I took my citizenship in 1984. Now that was a memorable day! Festive, nice, helping, full of smiles people! I will remember this for the rest of my life. Just look forward to that

Regards

sariss

Jan 18, 2011
Collingwood Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 13, 2012
AOR Received.
August 22, 2012
File Transfer...
August 22, 2012
Med's Done....
April 4, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
December 10, 2012
LANDED..........
December 12, 2012
That's terrible.

My husband's landing was full of stress but thankfully the officers were great. We went to Niagara Falls to flagpole and land, and when we got there we realized there was a glitch in the system and my hubby wasn't IN IT! They said they would talk to Ottawa but this type of thing usually takes about a week to fix. I was STRESSED OUT - I took 3 days off for this and we spent about $700 to make a vacation out of it.
Thankfully after two days of going in to the immigration office and literally harassing the officers to get on Ottawa, it went through. I had never been happier, I just wish it had gone smoother.
If we had grumpy guys like you, I'd have lost it.

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
Well, that sounds bloody awful! Some people are just ridiculous. I've had all sorts of unpleasant dealings with Border Control people from all over the world, so I feel your pain. The first 3 times I came to Canada I was searched for drugs. I must look dodgy! Ironic since I've never even smoked a cigarette before. But, onwards and upwards. I would certainly make a complaint both with the CBSA and USCB. I hope things improve for you! By the way, if you're needing to get your SIN number, head to the Service Canada office at College and Bathurst (you're downtown Toronto right?). They were super friendly and helpful for my wife as a returning resident with lots of stuff to update and sort out!

Anyway, welcome to Toronto!

pardesifr

Jul 19, 2010
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2013
AOR Received.
March 2013
File Transfer...
To London in 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 2013
Passport Req..
July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Sep 2015
I never understood why these Border officers are so rude no matter what country, they take themselves for kings and over the law, i always felt that they feel like they are over the law and can treat people in whatever the way the want (like sh*it). This is pathetic, I will never understand this. Feel like all these Boarder agent from around the world get Training in a same place where there are told to be rude and arsholes. :'( ;D

Anyway forget this awful experience and think of the future :)

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Sorry you had this experience. I think border officers are trained to be suspicious, watch for red flags, etc and sometimes it could just be someone having a bad day(not that it makes it right). It is concerning that they searched your car without you present and I wonder whether it is allowed - something to find out for sure.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Yes, it's allowed.

pardesifr said:
... This is pathetic, I will never understand this. Feel like all these Boarder agent from around the world get Training in a same place where there are told to be rude and arsholes. :'( ;D
Indeed! Once you meet the requirements and you plan to vacation in the U.S. or even transit through the U.S., get your NEXUS card(s). Then, with rare exception .... you don't have to talk to them ... and they don't have to talk to you. :D

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Happy to land on Valentine's day, but a bad landing! Was that your first time crossing the CAN/US border? That kind of treatment is not unusual. I would have never tried to flagpole with a U-Haul :p lol
This is why, even though I'm innocent ;D border crossings make me nervous. I had some friends that accidentally turned down a wrong road once and had to cross the border and flagpole as they were past the point of U-Turns. They were detained and interrogated for about 8 hours. Those border officers have the right to do what they want.. especially when entering the USA. They can take your car to pieces and just leave it there.. they can be real @-holes when questioning you.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bonitanita said:
That was it. I became Canadian.
Not yet. You have yet to receive the Citizenship certificate to become Canadian. I don't think you can vote yet. :)

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Actually, you should have left the U-Haul on the Canadian side of the border and simply walked through. In fairness, you can't ask the Canadian CBSA officer what the US side will do, as they are totally separate.

I agree about searches...they did the same thing to my luggage at the Vancouver airport (CBSA). It's very annoying, but I suppose until people stand up against these kinds of things, it's going to be a fact of life.

One step closer to becoming a Canadian citizen, though. At least you finished the landing and can now do what you like in Canada.

I'm going to look into getting a Nexus card...

FS

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
It all starts here:

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes

$50 for 5 years and then you can pass through airports (so equipped) with a simple visual exchange at a 'retinal scanner'. No harsh words, no AH-ism ... just flash your blinkers, and you're through. You may also benefit from a 'fast-track' security check line-up for NEXUS card holders (which sometimes simply means allowably jumping the line).