+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NIGERIA APPLICANT PLEASE LET US NETWORK.

Smallie

Star Member
May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2010 (Biq paris); 07-01-2013
AOR Received.
23-11-2011, Fed application AOR=>14-02-2013
File Transfer...
14-02-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-03-2013
Interview........
18-10-2012 (QSC Received 18-10-2012)
Passport Req..
03-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-09-2013
LANDED..........
04-10-2013
These new rules are not friendly @ all. My husband's occupation is no longer in d approved list & to imagine that we've just completed, signed & about mailing d forms when we found out. Please what is d way forward now? Any ideas? Lucky u all that your applications got in before June 26

goldenapple

Star Member
Feb 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-04-2010, Doc Submitted:09-08-2010
AOR Received.
RBVO:05-10-2010,In-Process: 06-12-2011,Started Processing: 31-01-2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with Full Docs (Overall Band: 8.5)
File Transfer...
21-04-2010
Med's Request
29-03-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
16-07-2012
LANDED..........
07-SEPT-2012
Smallie said:
These new rules are not friendly @ all. My husband's occupation is no longer in d approved list & to imagine that we've just completed, signed & about mailing d forms when we found out. Please what is d way forward now? Any ideas? Lucky u all that your applications got in before June 26
The new immigration rules are indeed very strict. Please apply now while the immigration rule that favors you is still in force because changes in Canadian immigration rules are not under the applicant's direct control. I think some of the effects of the new rules are these:

1. The number of applications received for processing will be drastically reduced and thus make processing faster under these categories.
2. Old applications (pre Feb 2008) will be fast tracked as long as point 1 remains true.
3. Student applications and provincial nominee programs will become the toast of would-be-immigrants henceforth.
4. AEO (Arranges Employment Option) will possibly get more popular though this is a more challenging option.
5. Immigration agency business may be negatively affected depending on the scenario but I suspect this will make agencies like the "Law Firm of Campbell Cohen" more popular as the rejection cases may increase for those who apply on their own. My thinking is that the new rules will only favour the swift and meticulously accurate applicants since inaccurate applications will be rejected and unfortunately because of the cap, there may not be space again by the time rejected applications are re-submitted. The business of immigration for these agencies may therefore swing in either direction perhaps more of positive than negative.

Smallie, I suggest yourself and your husband should look at the new list critically (and not at face value as certain old RESPONSIBILITIES may still fall under any of the 29 occupation list) and consider applying under a favorable one then consider point 3 in my list above. You may be quite fortunate. If you do not want to do any hard work, you AND your husband should just take a free assessment at canadavisa.com and Attorney Cohen will let you know your options. You will normally have a feedback in less than 24hours. Give this a shot so you can be sure.

I really wish us all the best in our immigration efforts!

Smallie

Star Member
May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2010 (Biq paris); 07-01-2013
AOR Received.
23-11-2011, Fed application AOR=>14-02-2013
File Transfer...
14-02-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-03-2013
Interview........
18-10-2012 (QSC Received 18-10-2012)
Passport Req..
03-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-09-2013
LANDED..........
04-10-2013
Well said goldenapple & much appreciated. I don't think he'll fit into d new approved NOC codes in anyway. He previously was eligible under NOC1111-accountants & auditors. Based on this, I think our best bet is either the AEO or the provincial nominee. But really, how easy is it to get a job via email or over the phone & how many employers are willing to go through the stress & delay? Now looking @ d provices, please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems most of them still insist on empoyment or family. The options really looks slim or perhaps we need more enlightenment on other possiblities.

goldenapple

Star Member
Feb 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-02-2010
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
21-04-2010
Med's Request
29-03-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
16-07-2012
LANDED..........
07-SEPT-2012
Smallie said:
Well said goldenapple & much appreciated. I don't think he'll fit into d new approved NOC codes in anyway. He previously was eligible under NOC1111-accountants & auditors. Based on this, I think our best bet is either the AEO or the provincial nominee. But really, how easy is it to get a job via email or over the phone & how many employers are willing to go through the stress & delay? Now looking @ d provices, please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems most of them still insist on empoyment or family. The options really looks slim or perhaps we need more enlightenment on other possiblities.
2 things:

1. Try Quebec
2. You and your husband should complete a FREE but sure assessment here - https://www.canadavisa.com/assess/canada-immigration-assessment-form.htm

You don't have to use the firm but at least take advantage of the free professional assessment and advise.

Best!

Badmus

Star Member
Sep 28, 2005
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
24-07-2005
LANDED..........
July '19
goldenapple said:
The new immigration rules are indeed very strict. Please apply now while the immigration rule that favors you is still in force because changes in Canadian immigration rules are not under the applicant's direct control. I think some of the effects of the new rules are these:

1. The number of applications received for processing will be drastically reduced and thus make processing faster under these categories.
2. Old applications (pre Feb 2008) will be fast tracked as long as point 1 remains true.
3. Student applications and provincial nominee programs will become the toast of would-be-immigrants henceforth.
4. AEO (Arranges Employment Option) will possibly get more popular though this is a more challenging option.
5. Immigration agency business may be negatively affected depending on the scenario but I suspect this will make agencies like the "Law Firm of Campbell Cohen" more popular as the rejection cases may increase for those who apply on their own. My thinking is that the new rules will only favour the swift and meticulously accurate applicants since inaccurate applications will be rejected and unfortunately because of the cap, there may not be space again by the time rejected applications are re-submitted. The business of immigration for these agencies may therefore swing in either direction perhaps more of positive than negative.

Smallie, I suggest yourself and your husband should look at the new list critically (and not at face value as certain old RESPONSIBILITIES may still fall under any of the 29 occupation list) and consider applying under a favorable one then consider point 3 in my list above. You may be quite fortunate. If you do not want to do any hard work, you AND your husband should just take a free assessment at canadavisa.com and Attorney Cohen will let you know your options. You will normally have a feedback in less than 24hours. Give this a shot so you can be sure.

I really wish us all the best in our immigration efforts!
Toronto, June 26, 2010 — Canada is adjusting its 2010 immigration plan to put even greater emphasis on economic recovery and further reduce the federal skilled worker backlog, Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney told a news conference today.

TJ2010

Jun 5, 2010
Some one advice me not to continue with my application for PR that there is no job for doctors canada. I am about to send my full document to visa office. Should I go ahead or should I claim my money back.

I need some one to tell me the possibility of getting residency. How early can I get this and what time does it take. What else can a doctor do to survive. Please help with any help you can. I am really depressed by the news

I am a nigerian citizen , who graduated with MBBS in nigeria, 5years of medical experience with 3years of residency in surgery. I am in second year of an online masters degree in surgery university of edinburgh. I am a member royal college of surgeon of edinburgh(MRCS).
Please help, I really want to further my studies in canada. Postgraduate surgery is not developed in nigeria

Can my aspiration of doing surgery posible in canada. Or can any other be posible for me . Please help. I have been demoralized by the thread about medical doctor posted by qorax

Jada

Apr 26, 2009
Nigeria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 31st 2012
TJ2010 said:
Some one advice me not to continue with my application for PR that there is no job for doctors canada. I am about to send my full document to visa office. Should I go ahead or should I claim my money back.

I need some one to tell me the possibility of getting residency. How early can I get this and what time does it take. What else can a doctor do to survive. Please help with any help you can. I am really depressed by the news

I am a nigerian citizen , who graduated with MBBS in nigeria, 5years of medical experience with 3years of residency in surgery. I am in second year of an online masters degree in surgery university of edinburgh. I am a member royal college of surgeon of edinburgh(MRCS).
Please help, I really want to further my studies in canada. Postgraduate surgery is not developed in nigeria

Can my aspiration of doing surgery posible in canada. Or can any other be posible for me . Please help. I have been demoralized by the thread about medical doctor posted by qorax
I do not know this thread Qorax wrote,maybe you should post the link but I know you should not be demoralized.
What do YOU want?
If you look at most of the skilled worker programs for most countries you will see that doctors are in high demand. From what I've been able to gather about Canada,you(a person) can't just go there and work in your field as soon as you get there. You'll have to do certifications to work in your field. Doctor is a regulated occupation so to work as a doctor there you have to fulfill whatever they have as their criteria(maybe take some exams),and this differs from province to province. Once you're certified, I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem finding a job. This depends on how much money you have to take there because as you study,you need an income to support you(unless you have an endless supply of money :)) so you might,and I say might, have to consider taking a survival job until you get all your certifications. In a way survival jobs help because they provide the Canadian experience that they seem to be so crazy about. You mentioned that you want to further your studies in Canada,good! After that you should not have a problem getting a job i.e. as soon as you've registered with whatever body of doctors they have there.
At the end of the day it all boils down to what YOU want. You've received approval and God willing you should get your visa in months. Think it through and weigh all your options. Research your options and don't be confused with what one man has said. I wish you all the best.

neki

Apr 29, 2010
Dear Dr. TJ2010,

i saw your post and went to dig for sth i had read sometime ago. forgive me, i dont know how to quote from another page.
the thing is like Jada said, doctors are in high demand everywhere- even here in 9ja.
however, most countried would demand you get their own qualifications in addition to those you ave previously to ensure you're not a quack d to develop your skills to those they expect.
i hope the message below helps - it was posted by prof456 on march 17, 2010.
Good luck and God bless.

neki.

"BTW, this is a free advice to some of you folks on here that may have or will soon be receiving their PR applications approved. Feel free to skip over.

I'm a Nigerian, born and bred....and I know our culture. We mostly do not plan properly or we gloss over some important things because we have wrong or inadequate info. For the sake of God, especially those with families, make sure you plan, plan, plan. I cannot emphasize it enough. Just as you have spent lots of months preparing your applications and waiting, please spend enough time planning your move. I've had a few clients and acquaintances from Nigeria that got their PR, sold their few belongings in Nigeria, dristributed their earnings and took the next flight to Canada. IF you do such/similar, you'd be in for the greatest shock of your life. In this recession days, the job market is still very tight and alot of businesses are still unstable. Make sure you research the city you plan to land/settle, if possible try to get an accommodation plan in place for at least 3 mths and make sure you have enough funds to take care of yourself and family for 3-6mths. Landing and going straight to a hotel with your family for 2wks does not make sense to me...unless you have the resources to burn. Infact, if you have that kind of money, I'd advice you to come down with your family, land and see the city/province for yourself, apply for your SIN, Health insurance, bank accounts, etc, contact realtors to buy a home (assuming you have an idea about the housing market) and then go back to Nigeria and conclude your plans properly with your first hand info. This is the ideal case...and a few people with the resources do it and do not regret it. Since resources are limited in most cases, you can also maximise it by drawing up a very efficient plan. Trust me, $11,000 (or whatever CIC's requirements are) is hardly enough for rent, clothing, feeding, etc for 3mths....If you have relatives, fine; they may help you initially but do not expect them to carry you on their back till you find your feet. You never know when you can find your feet. If you have a business in Nigeria, I'd advice you keep it "open" till you find your feet in Canada...at least, even if you are receiving some change monthly, it's better than nothing. If you have a job, you may want to take a leave of absence...maybe for 6mths. If within those months things do not go as planned, you have something to fall back on....do not throw caution into the air. Please dont. There's a professor I know about that just relocated....he cannot get a job in his field because institutions are in session and he does not even have his license. Even if he is licensed, there's no guarantee he'd get a contract. Before he (and his family of 4) left Nigeria, he sold everything and his relatives were there to share the spoils. He gave to his last paycheck to his parents. He had the $11k CIC asks for to settle....checked into a hotel for 2weeks after he landed. That wiped him clean. Now, he had to pick up low end jobs (security, cleaning, etc) just to make ends meet. It has been very tough for him and that's due to very poor planning. I can go on and on with stories...but please after all the excitement of getting your PR, sit down and map out your plan to settle. This is one of the reasons why you'd hear some people tell you never to immigrate to Canada or the US as it's not uncommon to see medical doctors, engineers, etc trained in other countries driving taxis/cabs in Canada or the US. I'm not saying things are rosy but if you take time to understand the system, make good contacts and plan properly, you'd be more likely to join the group of "successful" immigrants.

For those of you in the professional field (Medicine, Engineering, Law, etc), most of these professions are regulated. There's no two way about it; there are no under the table deals. You may likely have to take exams or go through a special program before you practice. So, make sure you know what these programs are. Every province is different. Contact the board in that province. Make sure you have the required documents before you come over, otherwise you'd have to wait for the documents to be sent from Nigeria and sometimes, it could take months...if it's a process you can start from Nigeria, you are better off. For example, some doctors may have to write exams. The first exam is the MCCEE...you can take that exam in Nigeria; that way when you come, you start studying or you write the QE1 almost immediately.

Again, the job and business markets are tight at the moment, not impossible but difficult...so do not expect to get jobs the very next week after you land. There are immigration programs in most provinces that help new immigrants. You may want to start contacting those programs before you land...basically, get some leads so that you can have something to follow when you land. If you have credible contacts in Canada (keyword is credible), try to get good leads from them. Do not land blindly. My 2 cents.

P.S. This forum has a settlement subforum where you can get some more info. You may want to post your questions there or on here. I do not have answers to all questions but I can try to find answers for you if time permits. Goodluck with all your immigration moves and planning. God bless y'all!"

confirmedimmigrant

Jun 2, 2010
@tj2010... you have to decide what u want. if u want to practice in canada, u will have to write exams to get license. mccee and co. and its not a straight forward exam as you would need to study hard. after passing ur exams u would apply for a residency programme of ur choice which is highly competitive. becos there are many pple who have written this exams and still waiting for a place for residency, and this may take some few yrs. as canada is still yet to integrate foreign doctors into its system. thats my own little contribution which may help or not. Am also a medical doctor in uk still writing my exams and also processing canada immigration, but dont have the intention of practising in canada as i prefer the u.s residency programme, so am just using uk or canada as alternative to my final destination as uk is "no training area" for foreign doctors. but u can make ur $$$ here and relocate. the choice is urs. i have given u the pics of what is on in uk and canada. and to me u.s is the ultimate, though not easy too but flexible. :eek: 8)

Sir K

Star Member
Mar 16, 2009
Is it true that as a landed immigrant, you or your children will be entitled to some stipend from the government?

barsindoo

Champion Member
Jul 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sir K said:
Is it true that as a landed immigrant, you or your children will be entitled to some stipend from the government?
A little bit of child support if you are classified as a low income earner.

chevchenko

Jun 3, 2005
Nigeria
Hello Guys,

Can I settle my Family in Canada and continue my work here in Nigeria?
Will they still be able to apply for citizenship after 3 years?

...just a 2nd thought considering neki's post.

thanks

goldenapple

Star Member
Feb 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-02-2010
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
21-04-2010
Med's Request
29-03-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
16-07-2012
LANDED..........
07-SEPT-2012
chevchenko said:
Hello Guys,

Can I settle my Family in Canada and continue my work here in Nigeria?
Will they still be able to apply for citizenship after 3 years?

...just a 2nd thought considering neki's post.

thanks
Yes they will but not you. As for you, you must accumulate two years of "residency days" in each five-year period in order to meet your Canadian residency obligations. Please see the below links for more information regarding you and your family:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-citizenship-1095day-rule.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-immigration-residency-obligations.html

I hope these help.

Burlington

Jun 18, 2010
Hello All:

Please any idea how long after Ecas shows medical recieve that we get the Passport request?

My status changed this morning that medical has been recieved. CIC office is Ghana.

Medical was done in lagos Mrach 18th 2010.

Thanks