Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
n/a
LANDED..........
30-10-203
I landed finally on 30 october 2013... great!

I have been resident in Canada since 26 October 2011. I find the rules confusing, perhaps I am too stupid to pass this IQ test:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/notice-avis-eng.html states:

Amendment to the Three-Year Residency Requirement

You may now qualify for NEXUS membership
The Beyond the Border Action Plan announced by Prime Minister Harper and President Obama on December 7, 2011 committed to increased benefits to the NEXUS program.

As part of this commitment, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has lifted the three-year residency requirement for the NEXUS Program.

Effective June 30, 2012, Canadian and American citizens living outside of Canada or the United States or who have recently returned to either country and have not previously been able to meet the three-year residency requirement are now eligible to apply.

In addition, certain permanent residents are also exempted from the three-year residency requirement. However, permanent residents who do not fall within an exempted group are reminded that the three-year residency requirement still applies.

I cant find anywhere where it says which PRs are exempted! There is no link. Also, does my work permit time count, before I landed?

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Well I can finally tell you my Nexus card arrived on 5 Feb. The interview process was actually enjoyable. (Is that possible?). About 5.5 months start to finish. Can't wait to try it out now!!

twiggy

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
@Pippin rather surprised it took 5.5months. Mine actually took a month from application to initial approval,interview and receipt of card.

i however played a tag game with appointment and eventually got an early date in Niagara falls

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
The longest wait for most people is the wait for the interview. The availability of a free timeslot varies per enrollment centre. The closest centre to me is Toronto Pearson. But has the longest wait because of the popularity. So I rented a car and drove out to Fort Erie because the wait was much sooner.

katester

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
March 4 & April 9, 2014
File Transfer...
September 12, 2013
Med's Done....
June 4, 2013 extended until May1, 2015!!!
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 6,2014!!
LANDED..........
April 2,2015
Hey guys. I had. Struggle w my nexus and getting it all in the right name ... But I finally have it in my hands and the hubs and I are planning to go to Ontario tomorrow. So since we both now have nexus passes, we obviously want to use them. However, I'm nervous! I know you hold up the cards long enough to let it scan and then tell the officer who you are where you are from/ going and what you have with you. But if I'm America and he is canadian does he have to about his answered from the passages seat or can I just say it?? Also, about the prepaid part. Is the whirlpool bridge the only prepaid toll? Or will I use my prepaid nexus at every crossing? How do I get it prepaid?? They said there is a place near the crossing but never told me where. We will be crossing at Lewiston so we need to prepay before we cross there or only whirlpool in Ontario? I've been researching and just like everything else it's all confusing :)

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
katester said:
Hey guys. I had. Struggle w my nexus and getting it all in the right name ... But I finally have it in my hands and the hubs and I are planning to go to Ontario tomorrow. So since we both now have nexus passes, we obviously want to use them. However, I'm nervous! I know you hold up the cards long enough to let it scan and then tell the officer who you are where you are from/ going and what you have with you. But if I'm America and he is canadian does he have to about his answered from the passages seat or can I just say it?? Also, about the prepaid part. Is the whirlpool bridge the only prepaid toll? Or will I use my prepaid nexus at every crossing? How do I get it prepaid?? They said there is a place near the crossing but never told me where. We will be crossing at Lewiston so we need to prepay before we cross there or only whirlpool in Ontario? I've been researching and just like everything else it's all confusing :)
If everyone in the car has a NEXUS card then when you drive through the NEXUS lane at the crossing (and your NEXUS cards are out of the protective sheath), they don't even talk to you except maybe a "have a nice day" greeting and that is it. That is because the NEXUS cards are scanned so they have your info on the computer when you drive up and then they look in the car (via camera first and also manually) to see if the photos that pop up on their screens match the people in the car. If it all matches up and they have no reason to be suspicious, then that is it, they wave you through. At least that is from my experience. Note that you can get randomly picked for an additional check which means they may ask you a few questions but so far I haven't encountered it.

Also most of the bridges have a NEXUS only lane. Lewiston bridge has one. So does the Peace bridge and Rainbow bridge. But after your drive past the border official, you still have to pay a toll. I never took the Whirlpool so I can't comment about the pre-paid feature there. But it makes sense since that is a NEXUS only unmanned bridge.

katester

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
March 4 & April 9, 2014
File Transfer...
September 12, 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 6,2014!!
LANDED..........
April 2,2015
keesio said:
Also most of the bridges have a NEXUS only lane. Lewiston bridge has one. So does the Peace bridge and Rainbow bridge. But after your drive past the border official, you still have to pay a toll. I never took the Whirlpool so I can't comment about the pre-paid feature there. But it makes sense since that is a NEXUS only unmanned bridge.
:D Great explanation about it. Thank you! So do I have to prepay on my nexus card and then use the nexus only toll lane? Or can I pay in cash an use the regular? I don't know how to go about putting the money on the nexus card. From what you've explained it seems I can use the NEXUS and then pay in cash at the toll?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
katester said:
:D Great explanation about it. Thank you! So do I have to prepay on my nexus card and then use the nexus only toll lane? Or can I pay in cash an use the regular? I don't know how to go about putting the money on the nexus card. From what you've explained it seems I can use the NEXUS and then pay in cash at the toll?
I have no idea about the prepay option. I didn't even know it existed. So I guess you don't have to prepay since I never did it. When I passed through the NEXUS only lane, it took me to the same toll booths that the other lanes lead you to also after you clear. Basically after clearing the NEXUS lane, you end up on the same road as the other cars who successfully cleared standard non-NEXUS customs/immigration and we all go to the same toll booths (where you can pay in cash or whatever else they take).

katester

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
March 4 & April 9, 2014
File Transfer...
September 12, 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 6,2014!!
LANDED..........
April 2,2015
Thank you for the clarification! I really appreciate your help :D

joeblowcocomo

Apr 25, 2013
You can only use prepaid at the Whirlpool brdg, and you have to do the first payment physically at the booth on the US side. From then on, you can fill your account online. You can use the nexus card at any other bridge after that to pay toll, or you can pay cash like everyone else (although waving the card is easier than handling in the cash, IMO).

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
I only just became a PR on the 11th but have lived in Canada for 6 years. Is the "3 year residency" specifically PR or any lawful residency?

Sam8119

Aug 26, 2016
Great thread guys, if anyone is still listening, do you know if I can apply for NEXUS with a COPR? Just landed 2 days ago so no PR card yet. Also my US Visa expired so do I need to have a valid US visa?

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Great thread guys, if anyone is still listening, do you know if I can apply for NEXUS with a COPR? Just landed 2 days ago so no PR card yet. Also my US Visa expired so do I need to have a valid US visa?
I think if you are applying for NEXUS from within Canada, that's when you can show CoPR instead of PR card. If you are applying from within US, you need the PR card.

I recently got conditionally approved since I have lived in US for over 7 years (I guess the 3 years residency requirement is so that they can do a background check), and I recently got my PR card as well. Have my interview next week.

moeykang

Oct 24, 2018
So it seems that your three year residency does not have to be as a PR status. For people who have been in-land in Canada prior to getting PR, those years count...

In my case, I have been living in Canada for the last 5+ years as a student, and resided "legally" in Canada as a "legal" temporary resident. This "should" qualify me for NEXUS...

Am I understanding this correctly? Anyone else have experience having the three + year as "legal" temporary resident count?

I think if you are applying for NEXUS from within Canada, that's when you can show CoPR instead of PR card. If you are applying from within US, you need the PR card.

I recently got conditionally approved since I have lived in US for over 7 years (I guess the 3 years residency requirement is so that they can do a background check), and I recently got my PR card as well. Have my interview next week.