+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEXUS card for new Canadian PR

tbll

Star Member
Feb 20, 2013
i am a new landed PR and i have a one year us visa expiring in 6 months, if i apply for nexus card now, will it be approved or i have to get a new 10 years us visa first before applying for Nexus card?
Also, they required i have to live in canada for the past three years, i took about 2 weeks on vocation oversea in the past three years, will it be a probleM?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tbll said:
i am a new landed PR and i have a one year us visa expiring in 6 months, if i apply for nexus card now, will it be approved or i have to get a new 10 years us visa first before applying for Nexus card?
Also, they required i have to live in canada for the past three years, i took about 2 weeks on vocation oversea in the past three years, will it be a probleM?
1. Did you read the instructions?
2. Eligibility

To be eligible for the NEXUS, you must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada or the United States.

Effective June 30, 2012, Canadian and American citizens living outside of Canada or the United States or who have recently returned to either country and have not previously been able to meet the three-year residency requirement are now eligible to apply.

absolute_zer0o

Star Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
23 -03 -2012
Doc's Request.
05- 2012
Nomination.....
02 - 2012
AOR Received.
05 - 2012
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
05 - 2012
Med's Done....
05 - 2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
visa exempted
VISA ISSUED...
visa exempted
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Hi I am in similar situation with this guy. I am permanent resident since Aug.
But the different is I am a in-land applicant and I have been living in Canada for the passed 5 years. I wonder does this make me qualified for Nexus card (it only says CANADA CITIZEN can apply w/o meeting the residency requirement)

and Also my US visa expired in December, Do i need to renew my visa before applying nexus card?

it says on the website:
"Paragraph 6(f) says that, during the three-year period preceding the day on which the application was received, an applicant to the NEXUS program must have resided in Canada or the United States, or—if the person is a citizen of Canada or the United States serving at a Canadian or American diplomatic mission or consular post in a foreign country—in that foreign country."

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My reading of the regulations is that the 3 year period is in reference to holding PR status at all times. Citizens are exempted from the residence requirement as are PRs in the designated category i.e. serving in the military/ diplomatic service or being a spouse accompanying a PR in such employment. Apply and see what happens - its only 50 bucks.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
The application process for Nexus is lengthy. I understand it takes a month each for Canada and the US to do security screening. Once you get through that you get an interview date. Depending on where you choose to have the interview it takes another four to six months. As more people opt to get Nexus, the advantage lessens with the Nexus line getting longer.

absolute_zer0o

Star Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
23 -03 -2012
Doc's Request.
05- 2012
Nomination.....
02 - 2012
AOR Received.
05 - 2012
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
05 - 2012
Med's Done....
05 - 2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
visa exempted
VISA ISSUED...
visa exempted
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Msafiri said:
My reading of the regulations is that the 3 year period is in reference to holding PR status at all times. Citizens are exempted from the residence requirement as are PRs in the designated category i.e. serving in the military/ diplomatic service or being a spouse accompanying a PR in such employment. Apply and see what happens - its only 50 bucks.
Hi Msafiri,

After asking around I found out that I can apply for nexus card. My friend is in a similar situation and he applied right after he got his PR card and got approved. But it seems like I must wait till my PR card arrived.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Actually the processing of Nexus card application is not that long. I have two friends who got them under a month in Toronto.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
absolute_zer0o said:
Hi Msafiri,

After asking around I found out that I can apply for nexus card. My friend is in a similar situation and he applied right after he got his PR card and got approved. But it seems like I must wait till my PR card arrived.
Nice. The drafting of the regulations is an example of how not to..its somewhat of a grey area. CIC/ Justice Canada have not bothered to put the recent amendments to clause 6 for military/ diplomatic service on the 'laws' website..now why does that not surprise me?

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Wow I can't believe it takes only a month in Toronto. I speak from personal experience and as a Canadian. Applied mid August, approved mid September (sec screening took one month for both countries), and earliest appointment for interview and biometrics at the border is end of January. If we wanted an interview in Vancouver we would have to wait until March. I wonder if your friends meant it was a month to get approval or the actual card? Hmmmm. It is a big difference.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Pippin said:
Wow I can't believe it takes only a month in Toronto. I speak from personal experience and as a Canadian. Applied mid August, approved mid September (sec screening took one month for both countries), and earliest appointment for interview and biometrics at the border is end of January. If we wanted an interview in Vancouver we would have to wait until March. I wonder if your friends meant it was a month to get approval or the actual card? Hmmmm. It is a big difference.
I renewed my Nexus card - applied early August, approved late September and the new card arrived in the mail last Friday (no interview required. US citizen and Canadian PR seems to make a difference). Someone else I know applied about a week after I did, was approved about a week before I was but needs an interview - lucked out and got a mid-November date. I notice that the Vancouver urban enrollment centre show no available appointments as of this past weekend. Even Blaine is into February now (and Blaine apparently handles something like 132 interviews per day).

Nexus is still worth the effort - easier border crossing, dedicated security lanes at the airport in Canada and TSA pre-check in the US.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
XXXXXX. Waving to Computergeek. This is my first app for Nexus. Glad you find it is a time saver. Was thinking it would be just my luck to finally get the card and still end up waiting and waiting in a different line!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Pippin said:
XXXXXX. Waving to Computergeek. This is my first app for Nexus. Glad you find it is a time saver. Was thinking it would be just my luck to finally get the card and still end up waiting and waiting in a different line!
It is, without a doubt, the best $50 I've ever made my company invest. ;)

It doesn't guarantee you won't have to wait, but I drive to and from Seattle periodically and I'd say that 75% of the time it saves me at least 10 minutes. In some cases it saves 2-3 HOURS at the border. Keep in mind that you can go through the regular car lanes with a Nexus card, so if the Nexus lane is longer, you don't have to use it (this happens for folks in Point Roberts, WA, where something like 80% of the population of Point Roberts have a Nexus card and the northbound crossing has TWO Nexus lanes and ONE regular lane!)

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Not sure if it is approval or got the actual card. But they told me it was very easy; applied online, got conditional approval, went for an interview and got the cards. They are Canadian citizens. They said it took them about a month.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I got my card in under three week start to finish. But that was four years ago when it wasn't quite as popular as it is now. :)

I heard the fee has or might be increasing to $75. Still well worth it for five years.

absolute_zer0o

Star Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
23 -03 -2012
Doc's Request.
05- 2012
Nomination.....
02 - 2012
AOR Received.
05 - 2012
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
05 - 2012
Med's Done....
05 - 2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
visa exempted
VISA ISSUED...
visa exempted
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
its still 50$ as for now. but i heard it will be increasing too .